Weird leg pain

Options
I am 26 years old, and have never had any "issues" before with my body hurting. My husband and I start c25k a couple of weeks ago. I am only on week two and I have a very weird pain in my leg. It's directly below my knee towards the inner part of my leg. It hurts BAD... (as in makes me limp when I walk.) when I woke up this morning my calf was hurting (on the same leg). I think maybe I am walking funny which made me use muscles I am not used to using in my calf? I dont know. But, this evening my leg is kind of tingling like its asleep. Does anyone know what the cause of this may be?

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Reading the tingling bit made me nervous so I would head to the doc.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor. This happened to me and it was a blood clot.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Go to emergency. Very worried.
  • hayleyclare34
    hayleyclare34 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Have you tried putting heat on it/stretching it? Tingling really isn't the end of world - it's normally a nerve thing. I'd say you've over worked a muscle or have pulled it a bit. If it continues to get worse, doctor is always a good option.
  • TomTomato
    TomTomato Posts: 223
    Options
    I've heard of pinched nerves causing tingling, but I'm no doctor. And I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night either. If it persists, I'd see a doctor.
  • helenjess
    helenjess Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd see a doctor, but you could have Sciatica - it's a nerve problem that comes from really tight muscles in your lower back. I was also worried about blood clots, but my doctor said if you're young and a non-smoker (which I am) the chance of a clot is very low. Go get it checked out though, good to get an answer and then have peace of mind about your body.

Best of luck!

Helen.
  • bettyann55
    bettyann55 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am 26 years old, and have never had any "issues" before with my body hurting. My husband and I start c25k a couple of weeks ago. I am only on week two and I have a very weird pain in my leg. It's directly below my knee towards the inner part of my leg. It hurts BAD... (as in makes me limp when I walk.) when I woke up this morning my calf was hurting (on the same leg). I think maybe I am walking funny which made me use muscles I am not used to using in my calf? I dont know. But, this evening my leg is kind of tingling like its asleep. Does anyone know what the cause of this may be?
    The type of pain you are talking about could be a number of things and this is not a place you need to be asking advise for health issues. However, I would suggest going to the ER nearest to you as it could be just a stain to nerve damage to blood clots. Do not ignore this and seek medical attention.
  • bettyann55
    bettyann55 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'd see a doctor, but you could have Sciatica - it's a nerve problem that comes from really tight muscles in your lower back. I was also worried about blood clots, but my doctor said if you're young and a non-smoker (which I am) the chance of a clot is very low. Go get it checked out though, good to get an answer and then have peace of mind about your body.

Best of luck!

Helen.
    Being young and a non-smoker does not make free from blood clots. My daughter is young and has been fighting blood clots for 5 years now.
    Always get tingling and severe pain in your legs checked out especially if you have never experiensed it before. It is better to be safe today than sorry tomorrow.
    Good Luck
  • sss1966
    sss1966 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've had a similar feeling in my left knee since a run on Friday, tho not with the tingling! I am blaming my new trainers, as I've never had an issue before. It's eased up a bit now, has yours got easier or is it still bad?
  • BigAndTallSection
    BigAndTallSection Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree with Bettyann55 and I would caution you from taking advice on medical issues from a message board. Having said that, I know that when I am even a little dehydrated I get awful pain in that right calf. It is very predictable and happens in the same spot. But really I would consult with a real doctor to make sure things are okay.
  • Sieden76
    Sieden76 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The tingling sounds like a pinched nerve, I think you should see a chiropractor. I say this because I was a chiropractic assistant for 4 years and dated/lived with a chiropractor for 3 years. Lots of experience.
  • hayleyclare34
    Options
    I am not a doctor, but I am a massage therapist. I tend to stay clear of doctors and not automatically assume the worst. Not even doctors know everything. Such as a trigger point can cause severe pain to where you think you're having a heart attack.

With that said, I agree with being better safe than sorry. Just know that muscles can cause lots of crazy things that doctors diagnose as more serious and will do surgery instead of using an "alternate medicine". It's not always about the quick fix.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I had something similar, check this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tear_of_meniscus. It got better :-)
  • hungrypotato
    hungrypotato Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    See a doctor sooner than later. Better safe than sorry. It could be nothing and just some rest will fix the problem, but it also could be something terrible. I had leg pain in me left leg, not in the same place but it made me limp. I put off going to the doctor for so long, and finally got an Xray maybe a few months later. Xray showed a bulging disc. By now my leg pain was excruciating and in both legs, couldn't push off my toes. And numbness,tingling, burning sensations in many areas. I couldn't stand for more than a few minutes without needing to sit down because of the pain. Couldn't sleep, was always depressed.
    Went in for an MRI showed two herniated discs in my lower back pinching on nerves. I was set for an Emergency surgery the NEXT morning. Granted my weight was probably a big part of it and bad posture, which is why I lost weight. I had surgery in august of last year.

.GO TO DOCTOR
    .Mention Bulging disc or herniated disc so he/she can do tests for that injury.
  • HR0912
    HR0912 Posts: 10
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies!!! :)

I will be honest, our insurance is awful. The only things that are fully covered with copay is wellness check ups, etc. Any other thing we pay out of pocket until we meet our deductible. (why couldnt this have happened last year when we were well passed our deductible from having our baby!)

Anyway, I don't want to pay a doctor to tell me I have a sore muscle or something. (It does make sense, that it happened as I started working out, right?)

I told my husband I would give it until next week to stop hurting and then I would go. Unless, of course, it gets worse. The numbness has gone away.. and the pain does feel a little better today.

If it did happen to be a blood clot, would the pain ease up or get worse?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If it's a blood clot it could stay the same or get worse if it stays there. But I don't know how it would feel it got dislodged and moved away from that site. Pain and numbness is how a relative found out he had clots, one of which had traveled to his lung, and when they looked for the cause of the clots they found he had cancer. Not to scare you but yeah it happens.
  • hayleyclare34
    Options
    Honestly, if you've never had a problem before and it only came about when you started working out ... muscle is the most logical. It could be anything from your knee, to your calf, to your low back. RICE! (heat is generally used for muscles, but you can do either or, or even both!) If it's not better go to the doctor :)
  • HR0912
    HR0912 Posts: 10
    Options
    Update just in case anyone has a similar problem in the future: the pain didn't get any better, so I went to the doctor. I had bursitis, and received a prescription for high dosage anti-inflammatory. It's just now fully better. (8 days after prescription) I walked to the park with my daughters (mile round trip) and it didn't hurt at all! Yay! (It was hurting just from walking across the house) Back to exercising on Monday.. just taking it slowly this time!