Best way to break through a plateau?????????

Options
I need advice on things I can do to break through a weight loss plateau. I have been at this for 100 days now. I have lost 36 lbs, which I know, is great!! But the past 3 weeks have been very frustrating, because the scale hasn't shown a loss, but I'm still doing killer work-outs and eating pretty well. I know the whole theory about muscle weighs more than fat, but I still have enough weight to lose that I should still be losing, even if gaining muscle, right? I am currently on a 7 day cycle of low carbs to see if that helps, but so far, no change. Any ideas to shake things up where I am losing weight again??

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you are in a deficit, you aren't gaining muscle, so that is a non issue. The usual suspect is not eating enough, especially when doing crazy workouts. So how many calories are you eating?

Also, low carb won't make you lose any more fat over conventional calorie restriction, it just makes your body store less water.
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Have you tried changing your exercise routine? As you become fitter and lighter, you will use less calories to do the same exercise. So you may need to try something different or maybe switch up the intensity or duration? Hope that makes sense and good luck in breaking the plateau :smile:
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    if you've lost 36 lbs (well done btw!!) have you readjusted your calorie intake?

you need to readjust it every 5 lbs are so because you are lighter so need to eat less...

also, try switching up your workouts to keep your body guessing OR some people find (i wish i did!) that a big "cheat" meal or a week off logging and just eating naturally (not binging haha) helps their body to readjust and start losing again

good luck :) xx
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    You may be undereating...can't see your diary nor do we know much about you..but, here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • Glissenklw
    Glissenklw Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am keeping calories under 1340 and I DO NOT eat back any exercise calories. I exercise 5 or 6 days a week, usually between 750-1000 calories burned during workouts (Zumba, elliptical, crosstrainer, weights).
  • ltl_leah
    ltl_leah Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Try 2 things:

1. Take a one or two week diet break and eat close to maintenance calories during that time. You may gain some weight, but its mostly water and you lose it right away once you are back to a deficit.

2. Begin measuring all your food using a scale to be sure you're eating the portions you're logging. People tend to overestimate their calories, which creates less of a calorie deficit (or no deficit at all).
  • dlcuthbert
    dlcuthbert Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but if you are eating under 1340 calories and are burning 750-1000 calories you are eating WAY to little. Boost up your calorie intake.

Read here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937709-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0
  • Glissenklw
    Options
    I have been readjusting calorie goals periodically. When I started MFP in January, my calorie goal was 1590 I think. I eat as healthy as possible on my busy schedule, but have cut out fast food (except for salads and grilled chicken) and avoid sugar (except for fruit).
  • blood6338
    blood6338 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Might consider taking a break from the killer workouts for a day or two. Overtraining can hinder weight loss too. Being too restrictive on calories can also send your body into starvation mode so it holds onto fat. Just thoughts...I'm certainly no expert. Just speaking from personal experience...I was stuck for a while and went on a retreat and they fed us so well and I couldn't work out for 3 days. I did gain during the retreat but it came off quickly and I was able to break thru the plateau I was on shortly thereafter. I wish you the best of luck!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Netting 340 calories per day? Your body is trying to protect you from yourself. That is why it is trying to hold onto weight. If you do not fix this you could end up hurting yourself.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am keeping calories under 1340 and I DO NOT eat back any exercise calories. I exercise 5 or 6 days a week, usually between 750-1000 calories burned during workouts (Zumba, elliptical, crosstrainer, weights).

There's your issue. You barely fuel your body. Also, I would think you are not burning that many calories unless you are working out 2 hours a day. I am a 195 lb man and it's hard for me to burn that many calories. Most likely, you will need to eat another 400 ish calories a day so you can fuel your workouts. What are your stats? Height, weight, age.
  • Glissenklw
    Options
    I appreciate all of the advice. It is scary to think about eating that many more calories though. Based on those calculations I should be eating about 1920 calories a day. How do I even eat that much? If I snack more frequently, can I eat more fruit? Is eating more sugar (even if staying in my calorie limits) going to be counter productive?
  • Glissenklw
    Options
    I am 220lbs, 5'6", 31 years old. My workouts are around 1.5 hrs, 5-6 days a week. I do Zumba, crosstrainer, elliptical, weights, and just started kickboxing as well.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all of the advice. It is scary to think about eating that many more calories though. Based on those calculations I should be eating about 1920 calories a day. How do I even eat that much? If I snack more frequently, can I eat more fruit? Is eating more sugar (even if staying in my calorie limits) going to be counter productive?

Add more fat to your diet to increase calories. Fat has 9 calories per gram, carbs and protein have 4. Eat more nuts, seeds, avocado or use oil when you cook or as a dressing.
  • krissynicole787
    krissynicole787 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I ate my exercise calories for 3 months and gained weight back. It does not work for everyone. A 3 week plateau is ok. It usually takes about a month to break through it.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I think we are really close in weight and in our goal - I eat as a vegetarian M-F and I'm still able to get in 1700-1800 calories a day (Work out wise I burn between 300-700 a day) Cheese has helped me a lot. I don't pig out on it, but I'll have an ounce of it or a cup of low fat cottage cheese to bump up my calories and get a boost of protein. Feel free to friend me if you want since we are so close to where we are and where we are going.
  • sarski77
    sarski77 Posts: 79
    Options

Don't take this the wrong way but you must have eaten WELL OVER 1920 calories per day to find yourself overweight - nothing personal, this applies to you and 99% of MFP users :)
    Remember that the "average" woman requires around 2000 to maintain a healthy weight - and that's not for someone overweight or someone who does as much exercise as you do.

I'm not telling you to pig out but, seriously, eating more will help you start losing again.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    If you are eating fairly healthy meals that fall into your macros than do not sweat the increased calories. I am only 4'11" at 120lbs and I eat at least 1900 calories a day and still lose. Don't be afraid to fuel your body, especially with good proteins and whole fruits and veggies. Best of luck to you, I hope you break through your plateau quickly! :drinker: