Fat loss without loss of muscle!

Options
I would like to lower my body fat percentage to show off some well earned muscles. My Fitness Pal has me on a 1200 calorie plan but I'm afraid that's going to get me in a catabolic state. Thoughts?

Stats
Female -35 yrs old
5, 3 - 121 lbs
Body fat percentage estimated at around 20% or so (never got a measurement done)

Exercise routine - Three days of weight training (split) + up to 3 days of HIIT (jump rope, bodyweight exercises etc...)

Replies

• PureAdamic
    PureAdamic Posts: 185
    Options
    If your lifts don't drop terribly you aren't catabolic. You can also lose body fat without cardio if you don't want to do it.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You can definitely eat more if that's your workout plan and you are lifting heavy.

I'd start around 1500, try a month, adjust from there. It might be slower going because you are a lower weight already. It took me 12 weeks to drop 2% body fat eating at 1800 calories a day, lifting heavy 3-4x a week and HIIT 2x a week. I was 112 pounds, I dropped fat without dropping weight.
  • Fitladyboo
    Options
    Alright in theory then I should be able to eat a bit more calories and just lift heavy for 4 days a week? I realise that I don't need cardio to lose fat but it's really my weak point and so I've been pushing myself to add some to my routine. I started jumping rope which has been so great and I can easily tack it to my strength days :smile: