What is the big HYPE?

What is the big hype about Nutribullet? Why is this THE item to get this year? .. I have an Oster Blender that has a sport cup and it blends very well, never had a problem with it, but I'm curious why everyone is talking about the Nutribullet.. I once had a Magic Bullet and it did not chop very well and was a pain!

Replies

• BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    What is the big hype about Nutribullet? Why is this THE item to get this year? .. I have an Oster Blender that has a sport cup and it blends very well, never had a problem with it, but I'm curious why everyone is talking about the Nutribullet.. I once had a Magic Bullet and it did not chop very well and was a pain!

You're not supposed to use the magic bullet for chopping, it's as blunt as a bean!

The hype about the nutribullet is just marketing. Pureed food is not magical.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    I enjoy using my teeth to cut through and grind food. :) I have an immersion hand blender for other stuff, and a Magic Bullet slowly collecting dust in the cabinet. Turns out, I don't drink that many smoothies...or any.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    I enjoy using my teeth to cut through and grind food. :) I have an immersion hand blender for other stuff, and a Magic Bullet slowly collecting dust in the cabinet. Turns out, I don't drink that many smoothies...or any.

I figured that this would happen to me that's why I haven't bought one.
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    I love mine, but only bc i can put spinach or kale in my shake with fruit and it actually gets shredded and pureed (i guess?) which most blenders can't do (at least not my oster). I didn't realize it was such a hot product though... :)
  • SwimSoccerTaxi
    SwimSoccerTaxi Posts: 98 Member
    I got one for Christmas and have used it EVERYDAY since!!! It is my go to appliance for a number of things.....salsa, spaghetti sauce, nut butters, and the number one job...smoothies. Whatever goes in comes out absolutely pulverized. This process is more effective then our digestive system as your body can absorb the nutrients in this form before they have been moved through the stomach, etc.

It is a small appliance that takes up little room, very easy to clean and care for and I have had NO issues with it....and I have used it for almost 4 months (daily....yes...daily....I've taken it with me on weekends away).

Completely different then the Magic Bullet (which I also have)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I caught a late night infomercial in a hotel a few weeks ago.

Breaks down the cell walls?

Pulverizes the fiber?

It actually all sounded like really horrible things to do to your food.
  • theCarlton

Pulverizes the fiber?

Sounds excellent for breaking out of prison.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,315 Member
    It blends well without the price tag of a vitamix or blendtec blender. I drink a lot of smoothies, and it cuts out one dish since I can drink right out of the container it is blended in. The hype is a little much, but I prefer it over our other blender which is now getting relegated to a shelf. As another plus, it takes a little less counter space than our other blender.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    marketing to sell you stuff and whatnot.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member

Pulverizes the fiber?

Sounds excellent for breaking out of prison.

glad I wasn't the only one thinking this
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    I got one for Christmas and have used it EVERYDAY since!!! It is my go to appliance for a number of things.....salsa, spaghetti sauce, nut butters, and the number one job...smoothies. Whatever goes in comes out absolutely pulverized. This process is more effective then our digestive system as your body can absorb the nutrients in this form before they have been moved through the stomach, etc.

It is a small appliance that takes up little room, very easy to clean and care for and I have had NO issues with it....and I have used it for almost 4 months (daily....yes...daily....I've taken it with me on weekends away).

but why would you want to DRINK your food... just eat the damn stuff, save the $150 and go buy a new pair of gym shoes... makes more sense to me?!
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member

Same here. In theory, smoothies are awesome. In reality, I just don't smoothie as much to justify spending money on all the fancy gadgets.
  • Goin4goal
    Goin4goal Posts: 129 Member
    I've been using mine for over a year now and absolutely love it. I have a shake every morning consisting of: spinach, kale, blueberries, 1/2 banana, shredded carrots, protein powder, ground flax seed and strawberries. If I think of all that food on a plate, I would never be able to eat all that. But I can drink it down and be done with it. Lots of nutrients!!
  • kway610
    kway610 Posts: 162
    I've been using mine for over a year now and absolutely love it. I have a shake every morning consisting of: spinach, kale, blueberries, 1/2 banana, shredded carrots, protein powder, ground flax seed and strawberries. If I think of all that food on a plate, I would never be able to eat all that. But I can drink it down and be done with it. Lots of nutrients!!

Same here! I drink a "HULK" smoothie everyday... cucumber, green apple, kiwi, spinach, frozen broccoli, and banana. I could not choke that down as breakfast each day in whole form...oh, and with a side of boiled egg whites.

Bottom line...juicing and smoothies are not for everyone. Its so weird that people act like they can't have their thing and let everyone else have theirs. What you eat doesn't make anyone else *kitten*!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I thought Vitamix was the thing to have.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member

Watch out for immersion blenders, they are murderous horrible things (or so says NYT):

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/16/dining/immersion-blenders-can-be-a-danger-in-disguise.html?pagewanted=2
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Never heard of one but ya'll are selling me :):)

Most days I'm making 3-5 smoothies or protein shakes between the whole family. I use my mini food processor. It doesn't fit much, makes a huge mess, and the blade is a PIA to clean (I use a dedicated toothbrush)

May invest in one.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    my magic bullet does just fine. I have so many things that chop, slice and blend. I have a big food processor, a mini chopper, a blender and a magic bullet. I NEVER use the blender (just added to my things to sell list) I sold my juicer; doesn't seem practival to ditch the fiber in my food.

I'm not worried about force feeding myself more than I could eat in one sitting anyways...
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    I've never heard of it.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Pureed food is not magical.

OMG, it's not?! I thought if I pureed a double cheeseburger, it would lose its calories and I could have a guilt-free (but disgusting) snack. Well, damn.
  • theCarlton

Watch out for immersion blenders, they are murderous horrible things (or so says NYT):

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/16/dining/immersion-blenders-can-be-a-danger-in-disguise.html?pagewanted=2
    Shoot, I thought I heard it turn on in the kitchen one night by itself. :laugh: I'm overly scared to clean my blender by hand. I unplug immediately, untwist the attachment. If it can't be cleaned with just running water, it goes top shelf of the dish washer. I like having fingers. 10 of 'em.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member

same was happening to me. been in my new house 3 years, had no blender the whole time till this month. I'll probably use it for hummus :)
  • Sieden76
    Sieden76 Posts: 127 Member

I use my immersion hand blender at least once a day. I LOVE IT. The other crap on the market is just that... crap
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    I've never heard of it.

love your cat, my pupppy and your cat should get together and take pictures :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    It's like, you know.... if you are in the hospital and they have to put in a feeding tube and feed liquid stuff directly into your stomach, then your body can get all the nutrients better than if you actually can chew and swallow food and let the stomach and intestines do its job. God really intended us to have liquid food, I have no idea why we actually have teeth.
  • MsFree09
    MsFree09 Posts: 44 Member
    I bought one about a month or two ago and I LOVE it. I make a drink once a day. My "go to" right now is my green juice...1 handful of spinach leaves, 1 large stalk of celery, 1/2 cucumber, 1 kiwi, 1 green apple, 1 pear and a little honey and water. It's great and there's no other way I would get spinach and celery in my diet...I'm just not a fan.

I guess the big deal is you retain all the fiber and nutrients that your juicer leaves behind. Plus, the nutri-bullet is super easy to clean just rinse out. I watched this video before buying one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80mDx3k8014

I also didn't pay $150 for mine. They have them at Bed, Bath and Beyond for $99 and I used a 20% off coupon that came in the mail. You can go to their website, sign up for coupons in your e-mail and get one.

Other receipes I made in the nutri bullet: Red-pepper aioli sauce, pesto, curry sauce, strawberry ice cream (frozen strawberries, milk and honey). When I do sauce/pesto, I wash out right away with bleach so the smell doesn't stay.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Okay so I'll have a protein smoothie after my workouts - maybe 4-ish times/week. Protein powder, almond milk, sugar free greek yogurt and a banana - and putting other stuff in there like kale, broccoli, spinach, flax seed, whatever... There were some good ideas in this thread so far... also sounds like a good plan. I wouldn't be against trying those things.

But here's my question: I have a Magic Bullet and I haven't been using it as much because (1) - It doesn't have that big of a capacity, so it can't hold all of the yummy things I wanna put in my protein shake and (2) - The motor is getting all sad and tired, and it starts to smell kinda burn-y if I use it for more than like... 3 seconds... :/

So does this new fancy schmancy one have a bigger capacity than the MB? And is the motor more intense? If so, I'll look into it. The informercial doesn't help it's just like OMG THIS THING IS SO GREAT IT'S GOING TO MAKE YOU LOSE SO MUCH WEIGHT AND LIVE FOREVER AND CURE CANCER AND REVERSE GLOBAL WARMING AND SAVE TIMMY FROM FALLING INTO THE WELL AND ... :noway: #unhelpful
  • SwimSoccerTaxi

but why would you want to DRINK your food... just eat the damn stuff, save the $150 and go buy a new pair of gym shoes... makes more sense to me?!

Perhaps you have time to sit and eat breakfast everyday.....I however have 2 teenage competitive athletes in my home, 3 active dogs and I work outside the home. I get up by 5:30am and have to get one to the pool, come home, do my workouts then make breakfast for the two of us to drink in the car while I drive her from the pool to school. I then return home to get the second off to a different school....hmmm....you see time to sit and eat there?

I have extensive knowledge on how the athletic human body functions and the importance of nutrition. There is a window of delivering carbs (yes...LOTS of them) to the muscles within 15-60 minutes for a quick recovery and storage for the next days workout!!! Drinking vs. eating gets these important nutrients to the body quickly as they are broken down and ready for absorption. BTW....my teenage athletes are at the top of their games, love what they do and feel powered to complete the 2 hr practices they do with little "recovery" needed between practices.

Plus....I LOVE smoothies so I will enjoy them.....but hey...that's just me :)
  • SwimSoccerTaxi
    Never heard of one but ya'll are selling me :):)

Most days I'm making 3-5 smoothies or protein shakes between the whole family. I use my mini food processor. It doesn't fit much, makes a huge mess, and the blade is a PIA to clean (I use a dedicated toothbrush)

May invest in one.

You will be impressed!!! So easy to clean and blends it so smoothly. Vita-mix is the next best item but @ $500+ its a bit investment!!!

Enjoy :)