Not pooping regularly since diet change? HELP!

Options
Hello! I've always been a healthy eater but for the past month I've switched to eat a lot healthier: mainly fruits, vegetables, and lean meats, with the occasional rice/rice or corn cereal/corn tortillas/piece of chocolate. So quite low carb and low sugar. I drink lots of water and 1-3 mugs of green tea a day.

Fruits and vegetables are meant to be extremely high in fibre, so why aren't I pooping everyday like I used to? I feel like I need to "go" but nothing happens! And when I do go every three or four days it's not very healthy and very small. Sometimes I need to take a laxative, which doesn't even really work sometimes.

I'm getting a bit worried as this doesn't seem healthy. What's wrong? What can I do?

Thanks!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    How's your fat intake? Low fat diets can wreak havoc on your digestive system.

Also, there are soluble & insoluble fibers. "Bulk" comes from insoluble fiber....

Exercise .... moving helps things .... well, keep moving
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Like Teabea said, fats for one, don't cut that down too much. I take a dose of Metamucil Free and Clear (I think that's what it's called) every day too. I don't think I get enough fibre (working on that) and I have not had any problems. There's other ones that are flavoured too but this one is tasteless. Wal-Mart is least expensive. But if it goes on too long, see your doctor.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough fat.
  • Driving_Miss_Daisy
    Options
    Eat more insoluble fiber with a lot of water, that always gets me going. I eat about 40g of fiber a day, mostly soluble, and I don't even go everyday.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Try prune juice in the morning (about 4 oz) and follow 10 minutes later with 2 large glasses of water and 2 cups of coffee or tea.
    Eat lots of leafy greens, broccoli, broccoli rabe, escarole, etc.
    Plenty of berries (high fiber and super healthful)!
    Lentil or bean soup.
    Salads
    Nuts
    Olive oil
    I have a tendency towards constipation but I eat like this everyday and never have a problem.
    Oh too much meat and poultry can constipate.
    Exercise helps too and
    Lots of water
  • Toddahlie
    Toddahlie Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I think that you're not eating enough
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I had that problem until I upped my water. And then it was smooth sailing!
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I noticed that you commented on another person's board with what you typically eat during the day. It looks like there' not nearly enough fat or protein. These are both needed for your body to function correctly. You may actually have too much fiber, too (hard to believe, I know). Try upping your fat/oil intake and see what happens!
  • ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥
    ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥ Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    A can of sugar free energy juice will move those bowels :explode:
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    OH! Been there and it is no fun. Lots of water and fiber of course. I figured out I was eating too much raw spinach.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    I drink dieters green tea. tea itself will make you pee, but not poo. if a laxitive isn't helping check with your doctor and make sure you are eating healthy and getting a balanced amount of food and nutrients. doctors don't have all the answers tho. too much fiber and not enough liquids can cause blockage too... a nutritionist might be a good investment for you...
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Okay so gonna sound gross, but if its like little pebbels sounds like you need more fiber and fat in your diet. If just hard and firm then you still need more fat in your diet. Make it a healthy fat like olive oil or avacodos still get the neutients you need, but tastes great too!
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I noticed that you commented on another person's board with what you typically eat during the day. It looks like there' not nearly enough fat or protein. These are both needed for your body to function correctly. You may actually have too much fiber, too (hard to believe, I know). Try upping your fat/oil intake and see what happens!

This ^^^^ My bet is this since you said you try to eat "lean" (ie no fat). Everyone needs a little fat!
  • Etienne54
    Etienne54 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Like many said, it's probably you don't consume enough fat.

Olive oil and Fish oil capsules should balance things out for you.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post. Having the same issue. Will up my fat and fiber and see what happens. I will not report back with pics.
  • christied829
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this question. I'm having the same problem, I go like once a week. I'm going to try to increase my fat and see what happens.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Increasing fiber too quickly can cause constipation. Cut back on your fiber for now and increase it by no more than a few grams per day once a week or so (or live with it until your body adjusts)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    did you add a multivitamin sometimes those are notorious for pluggin ya up. I dont have much luck with anything else but over the counter laxatives, sadly.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I am always more frequent when I'm getting plenty of fiber. You might try increasing beans and legumes.
  • girlfromOklahoma
    girlfromOklahoma Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I eat Activia yogurt almost everyday. Ever since I started doing that my bowl movements are very regular.