Ladies!!! That time of the Month

Options
This may sound personal ~ but curious to know if its worth weighing yourself during your time of the month???? I usually weigh myself every week but when it comes to that time i always gain like more than just a few pounds even though nothing much has changed, i still workout, and, still stick to my MFP cals.

Replies

• Springfield_Rocks
    Options
    totally personal choice.

i still weigh. if i eat clean (no processed, low sodium) and drink lots of water I can avoid gaining too much water during that time.

then the following week the loss is great! ;-)
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    totally personal choice.
    ^ Agreed! We're all unique and what's a regular occurrence for a woman before/during/after her period is not necessarily going to be the same for every woman
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I weigh and I have been fortunate that I still lose weight.

Drinking plenty of water and not giving in to hormones is key.
  • SCtolulu
    SCtolulu Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you can do it without beating yourself up for the water gain go for it.
  • Einahhh
    Einahhh Posts: 139
    Options
    I weigh myself on my weigh-in day every week, whether or not it's that time. I'm trying to keep as on-track as I can, and I do know that I will be at my heaviest right beforehand, so I don't beat myself up over it if the scales don't quite reflect what I want them to. And then the following week feels like even more of a success!
  • chencheese
    Options
    You know, I am the same way. I gain quite a bit, but the week my period is over it goes away...all of it. So I mean I guess if mentally you are prepared to know you have gained some weight then go for it. That way you may get an idea as to how much you'll gain each month. You know? But if you'll get upset by seeing the number on the scale and want to eat unhealthy then take the break from the scale.

I personally hate looking at it, but when all the weight comes off after my period, I feel great. haha. For me it's kinda like a mind attack. lol. I hope this helps. Have a great day!!
  • bcriminger
    bcriminger Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I find that drinking more than 8 glasses of water a day is important during that time. If I'm really craving something (which happens during that time), I treat myself to a skinny frappachino, which makes me feel like I've splurged :D And, yes, I weight myself, I just don't get discouraged because I know it will go back down.
  • ZozoMonster
    ZozoMonster Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    99% of the time I gain, but I still weigh every week. It's not a proper gain anyway because it's not fat so it doesn't bother me.
  • jennibear22
    jennibear22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I was feeling low because I gained a pound this week but I know it's due to my period so wish I hadn't bothered to weigh in this week. I think from now on I may not weigh in as it seems to really deflate me when I don't lose or put on a pound or two at that time of the month.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I weigh but do not freak out if it's higher than normal. It's very normal to be heavier when on your cycle!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I weigh and make a small note that the weight was taken during TOM just for myself.
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I weight every week weather I like it or not. Without fail I am a gainer I gain like 5-10lbs in water weight every month. But a few days after I start is all goes away.
  • tracywaz
    tracywaz Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I do weigh. I also retain water, so I don't expect much. I weigh in hopes of progress and partly because it's a habit!

I have noticed over the years I tend to do a 4 week cycle along with my period. For example:
    Week 1 (first weigh after period)- big loss
    Week 2- moderate loss
    Week 3 (usually ovulation and when I start to retain water)- miniscule or no loss
    Week 4-(immediately before or during period) miniscule, nothing or slight gain (usually 1-2 lbs)

Because I know my pattern pretty well, I don't stress too much. Although this week, I'm in week 3 and lost 2 lbs! But this is my first MFP cycle. Not complaining at all!
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I go ahead and weigh. For whatever reason, it has not affected my weightless (I've never had a gain). I know that not true for many. I would say that if you tend to gain and it gets you depressed, just skip weighing that week, and by the next week, you should be fine.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I avoid the scale then...but that is a personal choice. I do try to drink a ton of water to flush out the bloat, tho!
  • Toddahlie
    Toddahlie Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Try to avoid sodium, it makes you withold liquids
  • aricakaye
    aricakaye Posts: 10
    Options
    I weigh in on that time of month, but it really is up to u. If you can handle it and not let it get u down, then it doesn't really matter, as long as you know in the back of your mind that it isn't something that you did, its just water weight and when it's over you will lose it. I ALWAYS gain 3 lbs during that time of month, but as soon as my period is over the 3 lbs is gone and I lose a little more. I just make sure to stick to my calorie goal and like always I drink plenty of water. It can b hard looking at the scale and seeing the weight up from yesterday, but I always keep in mind that it is all water weight..
  • gillporteous
    Options
    I think I am due mine because I weighed in this morning and had gained 3.9 lbs since yesterday!!!!!!

Any advice appreciated I'm not giving in to Sweet cravings and still working out ... Should I wait a week to weigh in again? Xx
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I think I am due mine because I weighed in this morning and had gained 3.9 lbs since yesterday!!!!!!

Any advice appreciated I'm not giving in to Sweet cravings and still working out ... Should I wait a week to weigh in again? Xx

Weight fluctuation is normal and to be expected. Avoid weighing yourself every day if this is not something you can come to grips with.

Weighing in weekly would be a better idea for you.
  • gillporteous
    Options
    Thank you!!

I was like holy **** when I weighed this morning nearly cried probably hormones lol.

Ill wait till they are gone hopefully a good loss if I'm good all week xx