Side Pain-Running

CMenendez
CMenendez Posts: 62 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I have recently decided to teach myself how to run and I am currently doing the c25k. Today when i did my w1 d2 run my side started to hurt. I have been told a couple things in the past, its from lack of water and when it happens you need to slow down and breathe deep. I was wondering if anyone else knew what caused this and how to make it never return again. Let me know you advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    the only way to get rid of it is to increase your endurance. Painful but true. The stitches will go away as you train your body to do more. The pain is telling you to back off some. Listen to it. It will get better and get better faster than you think. The first month will suck, after that you will be limited by other pains . .lol.
  • lyndsloo
    lyndsloo Posts: 242
    Did you eat anything heavy prior to running? It may be lack of water or heavy food. I'd try again on your next run day and see how you do.
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    i used to get that pain!

when i first started running, id get the sharp stabbing pain in my side and would make me not want to run.

well, after running everyday it began to go away, no more pain, no more cramps, nothing. i can actually run a long distance and for a long time!

just keep at it and it will eventually not happen anymore!
  • jamie11k
    jamie11k Posts: 82
    I hate side stitches!!! I hope this helps- find a relaxing, easy position for your arms, I even let them flop every once in a while so they don't feel like I'm holding them stiff. Breathe calmly, with your stride. I usually count 3 steps on the inhale and exhale. I find if you're breathing heavy and uncontrolled, your body will tense up and react to that.

Maybe some side/rib stretching before you begin would help too! Good luck, and don't give up! :)
  • JGrinwis
    JGrinwis Posts: 14 Member
    I used to get these side pains all the time. I agree that when I'm well hydrated they are definitely less likely. It's a breathing thing that you have to learn your own rhythm. It takes time and stride to learn how to rest while you run but, the pain comes from a pinch in your diaphragm. Best thing to do is start to stretch out the side in pain by raising your arms over your head and pull the side out.
    It's a good stretch to add to your pre and post stretch for the run as well.

But, honestly, make sure you're well stocked on your liquids.
  • Shannon4J
    Shannon4J Posts: 28 Member
    I get that sometimes when I run, and I just keep going, but I take in some DEEP breaths through my nose, exhale through my mouth and it goes away. I'm too stubborn to stop or slow down!! LOL As you build up your endurance, you will be able to go longer without the pains! :) GREAT Job in committing to the c25k!!! Woot!!!
  • CMenendez
    CMenendez Posts: 62 Member
    Thanks for all of your advices on the stitches! I sure like them and I will be happy when they are gone and running becomes a more comfortable exercise to do!
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Just remeber that you can burn as many calories walking on a treadmill on an incline as you can running flat. When you are just starting out, this is the way to go. Running when you are over a normal BMI can get you hurt and makes no sense when walking or an elliptical can gain you just as much.
This discussion has been closed.