Hollister

Options
I know this may sound a little shallow or weird, but I am so determined to be able to fit attractively into a Hollister outfit. Not even just Hollister, but Aeropostle and American Eagle. All these name brands that I say I'm "too broke" to buy when in fact I just can't fit into their clothes. A even bigger goal would be Abercrombie and Fitch. These stores all have like an XL at highest but in reality it's like a bigger M.

As a teenager, it's hard to have self confidence when you feel like you CAN'T fit in for the most insignificant reasons such as fitting into itty bitty shorts or those cute cami shirts.

Anyone else feel the same way? Maybe older women/men don't have the urge to fit in in such a way, but I really do.

Replies

• DrBentonQuest
    Options
    I genuinely wish you luck, chérie, but at least pick clothes that are timeless.
  • maryv83
    maryv83 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I understand the urge to want to fit in. It's hard when you don't, but remember that's it's just a label. Why buy an outfit that costs more than half the price of a regular branded (or even no name) outfit and still look fabulous, if not more? It's all in how you carry yourself. Nobody cares about names if you have self-confidence.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Girl...us fat old b****** hate wearing moo moos all the time as well. I cant wait to rock a hot shirt. I hate the choices of shirts in the fat section. I want to wear the cute in style ones in the juniors section again lol The worst part about fat shirts in the pits never match the neck or body so you can see my bra when I lift my arms lol I HATE THAT!!!! Fat clothes blow!
  • hayleyclare34
    hayleyclare34 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I understand the urge to want to fit in. It's hard when you don't, but remember that's it's just a label. Why buy an outfit that costs more than half the price of a regular branded (or even no name) outfit and still look fabulous, if not more? It's all in how you carry yourself. Nobody cares about names if you have self-confidence.

I was a label junky until I had to buy my own clothes. I could buy 5 shirts from somewhere else for the same price as one of theirs and they were way cuter. Focus on the clothes and not the brand, but remember that everyone's body is different. Dress yours in the way that makes you look good :)

By the way, I'm only 23 ... When I was 18-21 I was super skinny (talking hip bones stinking out), however I still had curves. Some of those places, such as A&F, made me feel fat because I had to go up at least a size to fit.
  • muziclver
    muziclver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've never been small. I've been small enough to fit their XL before but they would always be tight and I've never worn less than a size 11. Some of the stores I've seen don't carry higher than 9 and I'm just like wtf. lol
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    When you're truly happy with how you look, you'll make all the clothes look good.
  • annagoodner
    annagoodner Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm not a teenager, but I do remember having the desire to fit into the clothes from those exact stores when I was. They never fit me correctly, and as an adult I finally figured out why. Part of it is being overweight, yes, and good job working on being healthy. But the other part of it is those clothes are designed for girls and not women, and not since long before puberty have I been shaped like a girl. If you have curves, you're going to struggle to fit into those clothes. It will probably be easier if you lose weight, but there's a very real chance they still won't look right. Their sizes are not the same as other stores, and they are targeting a certain look to display their clothing. And that look is not the only way to be beautiful. In fact, for most of us, it's not realistic. It really helped me to realize I do better to dress for my body, rather than trying to fit my body into clothes that are designed for 11 year olds. I would encourage you to keep working on being healthy, and to see that your body was designed to be beautiful even if Abercrombie and Hollister never fit you correctly. Remember that those stores have an agenda. They are selling sex and stealing self esteem from millions of teenagers. Empower yourself to not be a victim of their unrealistic body expectations, and train your body into the best version of itself. That's when you will feel most beautiful, and really no brand name can compete with confidence and healthy. Good luck!
  • muziclver
    Options
    But the other part of it is those clothes are designed for girls and not women, and not since long before puberty have I been shaped like a girl. If you have curves, you're going to struggle to fit into those clothes.

I guess I never really thought about it that way. It just seems like so many girls my age can squeeze into it and I can't. lol
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I don't think its shallow! I'm dying to fit into a small Betsey Johnson dress. And an itsy bitsy bathing suit in time for my Hawaii reward vacation. Your mind plays games with you, you play games with it, right?
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's shallow...but those places DEFINITELY run their clothes super small. I could be skin and bones and never fit in their XL's.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    These brands are all children's brands. You are no longer a child and there is a good chance you won't ever fit well into their clothing. As your body finishes maturing, one of the last things that happens is your hips widening.You are a woman, your hips are supposed to be wider than a 14 year old girl's.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Hollister & such arent EXPENSIVE brands.... nothing wrong with wanting to wear that type of clothes... I wore a Aeropostale sweatsuit yesterday

that said, make sure you check the inseams... the same pair of pants/shorts in size 14 with ionseam of 2inches vs 4inches could mean the difference between being cute & being ridiculed for looking a mess
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    teenages are still wearing that crap? Be a rebel and be your own person and come up with your own style!
  • dayr1993
    dayr1993 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I went to nyc when i was 16 and was heartbrokem when abercrombie and fitch didnt fit thats my goal too, be able to wear a mediu, in their range lol im a medium in Hollister but they have a bit more too them we can both deffo do it :D
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    1.) their stores smell horrible. I can always tell where i'm heading in the mall by sniffing.
    2.) their clothes are of a horrible style and cheap fabrics.
    3.) you are giving them free advertising by wearing clothes with their hideous brands all over them everywhere.
    4.) their sizing is WAY off. Before i started MFP in 2011 i wore a size 6 in jeans EVERYWHERE. I wore a size 0 at hollister. wtf?

Why not lose weight for yourself no matter what you wear? I personally wouldn't wear any of those hideous brans if i were paid. :P
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Hollister & such arent EXPENSIVE brands.... nothing wrong with wanting to wear that type of clothes... I wore a Aeropostale sweatsuit yesterday

LOL!!!!

Go to Chanel, Mui Mui, Valentino, Prada, or Gucci and tell me "hollister is an expensive and exclusive brand". They are the walmart of teenage clothes in my opinion. :P

According to an ex-employee they spray perfume on the hour and blast music really loudly to deter parents from coming in with their teens while shopping. Like a "here honey, take my card and get whatever you want".
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options
    When you're truly happy with how you look, you'll make all the clothes look good.

^^^ this guy's got it
  • muziclver
    Options

LOL!!!!

Go to Chanel, Mui Mui, Valentino, Prada, or Gucci and tell me "hollister is an expensive and exclusive brand". They are the walmart of teenage clothes in my opinion. :P

According to an ex-employee they spray perfume on the hour and blast music really loudly to deter parents from coming in with their teens while shopping. Like a "here honey, take my card and get whatever you want".

I know they aren't the 'expensive' brands, but where I live Chanel and Valentino etc. don't even exist. They'd go out of business here haha.
  • i_luv_irs
    i_luv_irs Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was you in high school. Desperately wanted a pair of Guess Jeans. I couldn't fit into the largest size, which was like a 29 waist. I hated myself. Over time I've realized that I was a fat girl and uncool girl as a teen but in the long run, no one cared that much except me. I get wanting to fit in and be like other people but I'll share a secret that I learned in that past 20 years or so, people who don't fit in, people who are different, quirky and happy about it... They are the most interesting people out there.
    So good luck on your goals but I hope you do this for you and not for other people. Also if you eventually rock one of those cool teen brands then I hope that's also for you and not for other people.
  • islandlifenc
    islandlifenc Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    When you lose the weight, go ahead down to your local Hollister store and try on a bunch of clothes, then you'll know you can fit into them.

But then think about it... do you really want to buy clothes once you DO get in shape from a store that has built its brand on excluding people who don't fit into their cookie-cutter unrealistic molds?

It's like a giant commercial clique. Yuck.

I personally wouldn't want to give them one red cent.

I say do your actual shopping elsewhere, unless you just *really* love the clothes from those stores. I'll be willing to bet, though, that you'll find if you have feminine curves that once you get into shape you'll want to buy clothes that are suited to tastefully flatter your figure rather than suited to shapeless adolescent frames.