Daily 'Sugar' Allowance????

Options
Does anyone know if it is actually possible to eat under your daily sugar allowance provided by MFP without just not eating? My daily sugar allowance is 27g, but breakfast alone (all bran, 100ml skimmed milk and a banana) has taken 20g of that already. I eat a lot of fruit so I am always taking in about 40g a day of sugar.

Replies

• ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if it is actually possible to eat under your daily sugar allowance provided by MFP without just not eating? My daily sugar allowance is 27g, but breakfast alone (all bran, 100ml skimmed milk and a banana) has taken 20g of that already. I eat a lot of fruit so I am always taking in about 40g a day of sugar.

I don't watch my sugar intake...I should but I don't have a condition affected by it....but I think when they measure your sugar intake, they mean added sugar or refined sugar and not what naturally comes in foods like lactose or fruit sugars. Just a shame you can't separate them.
  • mellyish
    mellyish Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about going over on sugar unless you're eating a lot of refined foods.
  • majasmi
    majasmi Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt worry much about the sugar in fruit. just stay away from added sugars.
  • laurawh86
    Options
    Thanks for the replies
  • avielosesit
    avielosesit Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks from me too. I've always wondered about that! I just removed it from my macro-tracking yesterday so I would stop stressing about it.
  • GayleCain
    Options
    Nice to read that I am not the only one who thinks that. I never add sugar to anything and have never met the goal. I like the idea of removing it from the tracking.
  • Pty109
    Pty109 Posts: 4
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I love fruit and have alway had 1-3 servings per day. Now one cup of mixed fresh fruit for breakfast and I'm already in the red. It's good to see that others have noticed this too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Man...today must be sugar paranoia day....this is like the millionth post on this subject today...

MFP's recommendation is based on the American Heart Associations recommendation for ADDED sugar. I do try to minimize my added sugar and I've completely cut out high fructose corn syrup...but I eat all the fruit.

Unless you have a medical condition that warrants concerning yourself with sugar intake, don't even look at it. Manage your macros, not your micros.
  • Madi523
    Madi523 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Today is my first day on MFP. The sugar allowance confused me because I too eat several pieces of fruit a day and was at a loss on what to eat. This actually added a little sunshine to my day. Thanks so much.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Yh it's pretty much impossible to stick to MFP sugar restrictions if you were to have a 5 a day ...
    Unless you have diabetes (any type), you don't really have to concern yourself with sugar intake - assuming you are within a healthy calorie intake