Overweight Per BMI, but Healthy?

Options
I don't know if there is already a post here like this, but I could not find one with search.

I would like to know if there is anyone here whose weight and height is still considered "overweight" by measurement of BMI, but who considers his or herself healthy. For example, your BMI is "overweight" but you have a healthy body fat percentage, no health problems, and you look & feel great. I would especially like to see success stories of women who happen to fit this description (since I'm a woman).

I often see people argue on whether or not BMI is an accurate assessment of healthy body weight, but I haven't had the chance to see many examples of why it is or isn't. Please share your story and photos (before & after would be great) if you can.

Replies

• DarkSable
    DarkSable Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is overweight, and has been verging on obese if you go only by his BMI. In reality, he just lifts a lot of weights, and has a very muscular build with very little fat. That's a good example of why BMI shouldn't be taken as gospel.
  • proudandprejudiced
    Options
    It also works the other way round - people can have an underweight BMI and be perfectly healthy.
  • deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    BMI doesn't distinguish what is fat and what is muscle.....I'd roll with BF% and body measurements.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I am 30 -- 5'2 150 pounds -- my bf is in the upper 20's 27-29% -- my waist is 28 inches and I wear a size 10 clothing. I have no health issues and struggled with under eating to maintain 137 pounds, my hair was falling out I was sleeping ALL the time. I looked larger then than I do now because I wasn't working out.

I'm perfectly healthy and happy with my weight and how I look. All the feed back I have ever gotten from my doctors is that I shouldn't be overly concerned about 13 pounds in light of everything else being in healthy ranges.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    When I was 30 yrs old, at 5'6", I weighed 155, which is at the line between healthy and overweight BMI. I was probably around 25% body fat, but never had it professionally tested. I was into serious body building at the time and was super strong and muscular. I was not super lean, and would have probably needed to lose 15-20 pounds of fat to get in competition shape. I don't really see how I could have added much more, if any muscle mass without adding bulk (fat) along with it. At least not naturally.
    I didn't look like I weighed 155 at the time, and looked more like 145. I didn't look 'fat' but looked like I could have dropped another 10 pounds. As far as healthy, my blood work was perfect and had no health issues at all. When I did gain 10-15 pounds after knee and back surgery, my cholesterol, etc, was starting to increase, and I definitely was not at a healthy BF% then.

So personally, I can't see a woman weighing 20 pounds over the healthy BMI limit, without having an unhealthy BF%. There might be a woman my height who is perfectly healthy at 175, but I have never known one. JMO.

ETA -I am currently at 188, and technically still in the Obese cat. I will be thrilled to get to 175, but I won't be happy to stay there. My first goal is 155, then I will evaluate and see if I want to go any lower.
  • TJMiddaugh
    TJMiddaugh Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    haha i was just joking about this the other day. i am 5-10", 185, 14% (and dropping) BF and i have a bmi of 26 LOL pre obese. its so generalized and not very accurate. at 5-10 i think i should probably weigh closer to 170-175 to be in the "good" range (according to their statistics) i wouldnt pay to much mind to the BMI and just watch BF%. most tests are semi inaccurate also. theres a few out there that can give you extremely accurate results (one is hydrostatic weighing and the other is now the BOD POD thingy majig) the most common are the bioelectrical impedence (hand held or standing scale devices) and results can vary, but are a decent way to get a ballpark idea of where your at. skin fold calipers can tell you your BF% and if thats in a range considered healthy, i would forget the BMI
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    <
    profile Pic :)

I'm 5'3" and 141.2lbs and I'm told I'm "overweight" however my BF% is 22.7 - win!
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm considered "Obese" by BMI standards (I think I'm currently 31.8).

I still have some fat to lose to reach my goal, but I think I'm at a healthy weight. See my profile pictures for a couple fairly current shots.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I have a healthy BF% and an overweight BMI, 189.5 pounds, 70" tall.
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I hate the BMI scale, it's so flawed. It doesn't take into account if you're male or female, and if your female the fact that we have - dare I say it? - BOOBS! Yes, some more than others, but they're there and part of our body and affect what we weigh.

I'm right at the normal/overweight line (my BMI is 25, normal is 24.9... C'mon! :grumble: ) I'd rather go based on BF% and measurements, and how I feel. I feel healthy and I feel strong. I'm not going to let that stupid number that doctors use to define how "healthy" I am.
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I'm considered "Obese" by BMI standards (I think I'm currently 31.8).

I still have some fat to lose to reach my goal, but I think I'm at a healthy weight. See my profile pictures for a couple fairly current shots.

You are SO obese! I think you need to start working out... :wink:

(I'm just kidding, for those who may think I'm being serious.)
  • KristenRidl
    KristenRidl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I personally hate the BMI scale as well, as it doesn't account for muscle mass at all. According to my BMI of 28, I am well into the "overweight" category. However, according to my friends and family, I don't appear overweight. I personally feel great, my high school jeans fit again, and my health stats (blood pressure, pulse, etc) are great. Here are a couple fairly recent pictures.

530950_10100445667460890_1104971107_n_zps02e68e3a.jpg

734863_10100445667515780_125050491_n_zps4309941f.jpg
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    The healthy BMI for someone 5'3" is between 104 and 140..... Have you sever een a healthy 104 pound woman??
    When I was waitressing I was a size 0, could eat anything I wanted and never gained a pound..... and STILL weighed 115 dripping wet.

I was 150-160 pounds after having my twins.... After starting MFP, I felt great when I got down to 140-150.

I honestly feel better now, but I think the numbers are skewed.
  • Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thanks for those who have shared so far, and for posting photos.

Please continue to share :)
  • make_it_so
    make_it_so Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    BMI only measures height for weight. Many more factors determine whether you are truly healthy or not like body fat percentage. I think it is supposed to be between 21-33% for women. Also, you can check for metabolic syndrome which is characterized by things like high blood pressure and a waist measurement for women that is greater than 35 at level of navel. Metabolic syndrome is a cluster of symptoms that suggest a risk for diseases like diabetes, heart disease, etc.

Don't worry, because there should be different BMI charts for men and women and probably ethnic groups to be really accurate!
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Should be used in conjunction with other measurements
  • Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am 5 feet 7 inches....I I weigh 195 pounds!! That is overweight for my height...:/
    However no one seems to think I look like I weigh that much!! They think I look like I weigh 145 or so. They tell me I am just "tall"?

I'd like to weigh 150 because that is high for the healthy range of BMI. However since I once weighed almost 320 pounds, 195 doesn't sound so bad?
  • gregwhitley
    gregwhitley Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    BMI is definitely skewed against those that are "dense" i.e. - heavily muscled. I would basically just ignore it if you know that is your body type/physique. I believe it is also skewed against people who are taller than average. I am not tall, but I know for my height (5'9"), it says I should weigh something like 126-150. Ridiculous. I weighed 148 when I got out of boot camp, and I looked like a holocaust survivor. I feel like I do belong in the "obese" category that I am in now, but my personal goal weight is well into the "overweight" category. I'm totally ok with that, and I'm sure my doc will be too.
  • pears734
    pears734 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    DO NOT LISTEN TO YOUR BMI!!!

Your body mass index number takes into account your height and weight, but its biggest downfall is that it does not take your muscle into account. Skin graphs (when a measurement of the excess skin/flab/fat on your belly) are even a better indicator of your health. A much better way to keep track of how healthy you are is to know your percentage fat and muscle. Most gyms that I have been to have a small handheld device that you use while standing on a scale. Otherwise, you can do a free body assessment through cold fusion ;)

An easy at home measurement is to measure your waist circumference. Women should have a waist that is less than 35 inches in circumference.
  • Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am 5 feet 7 inches....I I weigh 195 pounds!! That is overweight for my height...:/
    However no one seems to think I look like I weigh that much!! They think I look like I weigh 145 or so. They tell me I am just "tall"?

I'd like to weigh 150 because that is high for the healthy range of BMI. However since I once weighed almost 320 pounds, 195 doesn't sound so bad?

Absolutely not, it does not sound bad. Your transformation is inspiring and you look great.
    DO NOT LISTEN TO YOUR BMI!!!

Your body mass index number takes into account your height and weight, but its biggest downfall is that it does not take your muscle into account. Skin graphs (when a measurement of the excess skin/flab/fat on your belly) are even a better indicator of your health. A much better way to keep track of how healthy you are is to know your percentage fat and muscle. Most gyms that I have been to have a small handheld device that you use while standing on a scale. Otherwise, you can do a free body assessment through cold fusion ;)

An easy at home measurement is to measure your waist circumference. Women should have a waist that is less than 35 inches in circumference.

I don't know what you mean by doing a free body assessment through cold fusion. What is that?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!