Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Any runners on here available for help & advice?

Hi,

I have been on MFP for 5 days now and took up running again a few weeks ago. I am aiming to be able to cope with a 10k distance but I know that I always cave when it starts to get hard (about 8wks and 5k!).

I would appreciate the help and support of any runners out there, I don't like running with a buddy but I know I can't do it alone!

Replies

• TheYoungys
    TheYoungys Posts: 44 Member
    Hi, I'll help however I can. I've been running for nearly 10 years. Ask away if you have questions. :-)
  • tweetiejovi
    tweetiejovi Posts: 62 Member
    i find going with the sweatshop near me helps me alot as well as going out by myself, people there to advice me but can be left on my own
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    What I have seen work best for new runners or runners working toward new goals is to join a running group. Having others out there with you can help keep you motivated to finish your runs and can also keep your mind off of what your body is doing. I would start by checking your local running store and see if they have a group. Good luck with your running.
  • dawn1801
    dawn1801 Posts: 117 Member
    I would find someone to run with that is about my same pace. A running club asked me join but they are all much faster than I am so decided just to stick with one ore two people. It works.

I also download new music on a regular basis to keep me motivated. Some people download apps to tell them how far they are going which keeps them motivated.

If you have access to a gym or a treadmill, try a HIIT run where you do 5.3 miles in 50 minutes and you are moving your speed up/down along with your incline every few minutes.

One last thing, how about signing up for a fun race like a mud run or beer/bagel run. That will maybe motivate you to get you to keep running.

Good luck...
  • Hannah7783
    Hannah7783 Posts: 54 Member
    I probably can't help with much because Im quite new to the running game! But if you just want to chat about running - a bit of virtual running with friends - let me know!

I have been running for a couple of months now - I am just about up to 5k now... at a push! But I have agreed to do the Great South Run in October, so I need to get myself ready for a 10 miler!!!!

I know what you mean about losing it at around 8 weeks or 5k!! I am kinda at that place - but I am really enjoying running so much I have to keep doing it!

Anyway, good luck with the running!

Han x
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    short runs during the week and longer runs on the weekend. That really helps me out! Also, try run/walking and increase your run intervals a little at a time. You'll get there, just give it time!