Any runners on here available for help & advice?

Options
Hi,

I have been on MFP for 5 days now and took up running again a few weeks ago. I am aiming to be able to cope with a 10k distance but I know that I always cave when it starts to get hard (about 8wks and 5k!).

I would appreciate the help and support of any runners out there, I don't like running with a buddy but I know I can't do it alone!

Replies

• TheYoungys
    TheYoungys Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'll help however I can. I've been running for nearly 10 years. Ask away if you have questions. :-)
  • tweetiejovi
    tweetiejovi Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i find going with the sweatshop near me helps me alot as well as going out by myself, people there to advice me but can be left on my own
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    What I have seen work best for new runners or runners working toward new goals is to join a running group. Having others out there with you can help keep you motivated to finish your runs and can also keep your mind off of what your body is doing. I would start by checking your local running store and see if they have a group. Good luck with your running.
  • dawn1801
    dawn1801 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I would find someone to run with that is about my same pace. A running club asked me join but they are all much faster than I am so decided just to stick with one ore two people. It works.

I also download new music on a regular basis to keep me motivated. Some people download apps to tell them how far they are going which keeps them motivated.

If you have access to a gym or a treadmill, try a HIIT run where you do 5.3 miles in 50 minutes and you are moving your speed up/down along with your incline every few minutes.

One last thing, how about signing up for a fun race like a mud run or beer/bagel run. That will maybe motivate you to get you to keep running.

Good luck...
  • Hannah7783
    Hannah7783 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I probably can't help with much because Im quite new to the running game! But if you just want to chat about running - a bit of virtual running with friends - let me know!

I have been running for a couple of months now - I am just about up to 5k now... at a push! But I have agreed to do the Great South Run in October, so I need to get myself ready for a 10 miler!!!!

I know what you mean about losing it at around 8 weeks or 5k!! I am kinda at that place - but I am really enjoying running so much I have to keep doing it!

Anyway, good luck with the running!

Han x
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    short runs during the week and longer runs on the weekend. That really helps me out! Also, try run/walking and increase your run intervals a little at a time. You'll get there, just give it time!