How do you get back up after a slip up in your diet?

Options
This weekend, I went and screwed up my diet and out of shame, didn't log on to count my calories! But I'm back now and feeling sad about it.

What does everybody else do to keep them motivated to come back and face it!?

Replies

• mdorsett221
    mdorsett221 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Fitness is all about practicing and improving. Nove of us are perfect. We just have to keep practicing until we get it right. Just don't let one slip up send you into a downward spiral. Two days out of your life is not that big a deal. Just pick back up where you left off on Friday and account for a 2-3 day setback. I don't face it, I just accept it and move on. Don't look back, just keep looking forward.
  • seths_wife
    seths_wife Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    One day of bad choices won't set you back, it's how you handle it. You have to just put it behind you and start fresh the next day. I know, I've had a few of these days lately lol. :flowerforyou:
  • Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Onwards and downwards!! Bin the last 2 days and get back on track ... You can't change what's happened so move on and forget it! We all have the odd day where it just falls apart after all we are human!! Currently I need a kick up the bum to get my exercise back on track ...... Feel free !! Good luck you can do this :)
  • Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    PS - a little tip ... When you use quick add calories, put what it was for in the food notes - very useful to you when you want to review your eating habits
  • RachaelStJ
    RachaelStJ Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I didn't even notice the notes area! I was frustrated because I couldn't write on there what it was! Thank you. :D
  • iLoveMyAR15
    iLoveMyAR15 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Just put it behind you. Today is a new day!!!!!
  • laurengaugler
    laurengaugler Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Personally, I need to log EVERYTHING. There are times I hate what I put in my mouth (and in turn my food diary), but it's life and I can't expect to be perfect all the time. Because I do log literally everything, if I am having a bad day or two I get disgusted with myself as I type the "bad" food items into MFP and it helps me want to eat healthier because I can see how I am not getting proper macros and micros. I am doing this for health, not just weight loss, so when I see that I am not meeting macro and micro goals I get really upset with myself.

I'd suggest logging everything. You'll soon get tired of seeing bad food messing up your diary.
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I usually have a day like that about once every month or two. I've finally realized after nearly a year at this, that one bad day isn't going to sink my efforts. Consistency and persistance = success. (Same goes for one stellar day really)
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Slip ups happen. I don't know how to get back up other than just do it.
  • Ericsmom1991
    Options
    you can't go back, but you Can go forward. Don't dramatize what you did yesterday make this day count and learn from yesterday. It's a fight I know I have been fighting and loosing a big part of my life. But I will never give up! You don't give up either.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Life happens, get used to it. Don't let the guilt get to you. If you find that you are depriving yourself so much that you often need to have a binge, then plan for it, log it, fit it into your calories.
  • Lumen1505
    Lumen1505 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This may sound 'odd' but I have a mental reset meal, which for me is a healthy breakfast of oats, yogurt & fruit. I think of it as a signal to myself that "okay thats done with - now back to work". It helps me put my 'slip ups' behind me and get re-focused :-)
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    If you broke a mug would you chuck out your entire set of China? it's a day, move on and move forward.
  • runderhi
    runderhi Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Its just about starting again - setting your mind to it again and forgive yourself - we all do it - get back on the horse that threw you as they say ! - Hang in there :)
  • RobertHendrix
    RobertHendrix Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Don't consider it a slip up. When you reach your goal weight you are still going to have days that you are over your maintence goal and days that you are under. You are changing your lifestyle and you are always going to swing to both sides of the line. The goal is to not swing to the high side more than the low side. It takes 3500 calories for 1 pound of fat and I doubt in 1/2 days of going over your goal you did any kind of damage that you can't recover from. What typically happens is that in these days were we go way over our goal we have really high sodium intakes and really low water intake and we end up retaining about twice as much water weight as we would normally and we step on the scale and see a 5-8 lb increase and let our emotions get the best of us and generally that leads to more days of the pendulum falling to the high side. So instead of beating yourself up or getting down that OMG I slipped up just consider that day as not meeting goal and tomorrow I will meet it and eventually the days you don't meet goal start getting further and further apart.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I love coming back to MFP the next day and seeing that I have a clean slate!

MFP doesn't care if I spent yesterday sitting on the couch eating bonbons, it just expects me to do the right thing today :)
  • StacyPhillipsTSFLcoach
    Options
    You think about the alternative, and what will happen if you DON'T get back on track. Remember, you can always be bigger. =(
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    This weekend, I went and screwed up my diet and out of shame, didn't log on to count my calories! But I'm back now and feeling sad about it.

What does everybody else do to keep them motivated to come back and face it!?

I did the same thing in a major way. I was not going to put my weight in, but in the end I did. That way there is definitely a "you pay the price" on record...one I will not forget. Just get over it and move on. I am twice as dedicated to get into the gym tonight now. Good luck!
  • bc119
    bc119 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Personally, I need to log EVERYTHING. There are times I hate what I put in my mouth (and in turn my food diary), but it's life and I can't expect to be perfect all the time. Because I do log literally everything, if I am having a bad day or two I get disgusted with myself as I type the "bad" food items into MFP and it helps me want to eat healthier because I can see how I am not getting proper macros and micros. I am doing this for health, not just weight loss, so when I see that I am not meeting macro and micro goals I get really upset with myself.

I'd suggest logging everything. You'll soon get tired of seeing bad food messing up your diary.

I agree! I also think that with logging everything - even the "bad" stuff - you will see that sometimes you weren't as "bad" as you thought you were.

Logging my cals on MFP made me understand why I likely gained weight in the first place (I ate whatever I wanted whenever I wanted) but it also helps me see that a cheat day or binge wasn't so bad and won't kill my progress if I get back on track as soon as possible :)

Good luck!
  • briannakaechele
    Options
    If you broke a mug would you chuck out your entire set of China? it's a day, move on and move forward.

Love this logic. Very Helpful!! Thanks