Breastfeeding and Losing Weight?

Options
So, I am 6 weeks postpartum and was cleared yesterday to start exercising! I gained 45 pounds and have already lost 20. So that leaves me with 25 pounds of baby weight + another 30 lbs that I'd like to lose to get me back to my goal weight of 150. I'm breastfeeding my daughter and plan to do so for her first year. I'm aiming for about a pound a week since I can't really restrict my calories and risk a drop in milk production. Is anyone else BF that could share their weight loss stories/advice?

Replies

• nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I am still nursing, although only at night now. Have you added 300 calories to your calorie goal for breastfeeding, or are you planning to add those calories? At only 6 weeks postpartum I would be very careful to be sure to be eating those extra calories until your supply is well and truly established, then see how it goes.

You can definitely lose weight while breastfeeding, but everybody's body reacts to BFing differently. Some lose weight pretty easily, some people's bodies hang on to that extra weight with iron claws!

For the first 7 months post-partum I was aiming for 1800 calories (although I was very often over that and not tracking consistently). The weight was coming off slowly but consistently. Since I'm down to 3x a day now, I've cut my calories to 1700 and will probably reduce to 1600 over the next few weeks.

Good luck, feel free to add me if you want.
  • johnittamedina
    johnittamedina Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm still breastfeeding 9month old and I take in about 12 to 14 hundred calories a day and workout 6 days a week. So far I've lost 65 pounds since he was born and my milk production has not suffered. I still take prenatal vitamins and I eat a well balanced diet. the key is this a very very hydrated even if you're cutting back on calories your milk production will suck up your fat stores first before it ever drops off but as long as your milk supply is already well establish and you stay hydrated your milk should be just fine. good luck on your journey!
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I eat about 2650 a day- this is my TDEE -15% set as moderate activity plus 500 for breastfeeding. I am averaging about 1lb per week and strong milk supply. My youngest is 3 1/2 months.
  • sunshine92
    sunshine92 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for the great info!!
  • ABaggett2010
    ABaggett2010 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi!! I'm almost 5 weeks PP and I started back exercising a week ago ( this is my third time so I know my body well enough to know when I'm ready yanno?) anyways, seems like we have just about the same amount of weight we want to loose. MFP has me eating 1800 cals a day to lose a pound a week. Plus I add the 500 cals from adding breastfeeding. So I try to eat closer to 2000-2200 cals. Days I work out I usually eat a little more but I don't eat back all the calories I burn (ie I burn 500 cals working out, I eat back around 200 of them) make sure your drinking tons of water, eat and I'm sure your supply will be fine :) add me as a friend if you'd like
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Still nursing my 16 month old! Lost all of the weight (plus whatever fluctuations up and down) entirely while breastfeeding. I found inputting -300 for non-exclusive works for me, but you'll probably want -500 in the beginning.

Don't forget to enjoy that bonding time!
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    When I was breastfeeding, I lost a lot of weight on Weight Watchers. They have a nursing mom's plan. My babies were fat little things. LOL...the pediatrician said I made cream, not milk. They never had a drop of formula nor even took a bottle (but that was ok for me, I know that is not for everyone...just saying this because it is a good program that doesn't mess with your milk supply).

I lost 35 pounds in 3 months. Both my boys were 22 pounds at 4 months old (again, no formula!! And we didn't introduce food til 8 months ~ weaned at 26 and 31 months). I would totally do that program again :)
  • sunshine92
    sunshine92 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Great info! Thanks!
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Keep up the great work, Mama!!