shout out to all the current and previous college kids..

Options
hey! i'll be attending college in the fall and i'm wondering if any of you college kids have tips for how to continue weight loss either by finding healthy food in a dining hall packed with unhealthy foods or with exercise..any and all advice is welcome!

Replies

• Sillybunni
    Sillybunni Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Dining hall will be the hard part. I've never had to rely on them, it really depends on the school as to what your options will be there. Just try to scope out the options and then research their calorie values before you dig in.

Hopefully your tuition goes towards free access to the gym. Luckily my school has a couple gyms, and one of them is really nice. Again, it'll vary between schools- but I can't think of any that wouldn't offer gym services.

Good luck!
  • whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Avoid eating late at night. Once you've had dinner, STOP EATING!

I probably found a lot of my excess weight at Taco Bell after midnight! :smile:

Also, exercise, exercise, exercise! It's a great stress reliever, a good way to make new friends and a fantastic way to counteract any bad choices and enhance the good ones!

I'd keep the scale near too. It's easier to catch trends if you weigh in at least twice a month.

You can do it! College is a blast, just don't go crazy and forget about all you've accomplished!
  • sngnyrslp
    sngnyrslp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I haven't had much of a problem eating well at school. Actually, I eat much better at school than on vacations. At my school, at least, there are a lot of healthy options. Go for vegetables! and definitely be careful about eating at night. It's so easy to get into the habit of eating a second dinner in the middle of the night haha. Also, I don't drink so it's a lot easier for me to watch my calories, alcohol can be a pretty big downfall for a lot of college students!
  • mlove1307
    mlove1307 Posts: 151
    Options
    I always, always hit up the salad bar at my dining hall!! Now that I live off campus I miss the variety of lettuce, veggies and healthy dressings they had.
  • doubleloop23
    Options
    If you have buffet style food at your dining hall then my experience was similar to yours. What I did was hit the salad bar first and made a huge salad. Eat the salad first so that you start to get full. That way you don't eat as much of the bad foods, if any at all. That worked for me. Good luck!
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    What kind of food do you people have in your school dining halls? I have never seen 'unhealthy' food in any of the school dining halls I have ever visited!
    For me, eating at school has always been the healthy place to eat cuz they usually have normal, good, and healthy food. Salad comes with it and usually lots of options too!
    When I make my food myself, it usually is pretty simple (read, easiest option available) and I never make salad with it, so eating at school gives variety to my diet.
    Just, eat only one platefull according to the plate model and don't get too greedy when filling it. You do know the plate model, right? Fill half of the plate with salad or vegetables, one fourth with meat, and one fourth with potatos, pasta, rice, etc.
  • mrsw510
    mrsw510 Posts: 169
    Options
    I think it depends on the school. My dining hall had a huge salad bar, a made to order vegatarian section. It really had pretty healthy options. Unfortunately I was more drawn to the ice cream bar then the salad bar...
  • whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Ours had foods that I shouldn't discuss, as it will make me crave things.... :smile:

We're talking pizza (at EVERY meal), french fries, unlimited ice cream with tons of toppings, chicken fingers, cheese dip, macaroni and cheese....AKA heart attack waiting to happen.

That being said, they had a lot of healthy options too; you just have to exercise your own self control, especially with portions sizes. All you can eat is definitely more than all you SHOULD eat!
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    That being said, they had a lot of healthy options too; you just have to exercise your own self control, especially with portions sizes. All you can eat is definitely more than all you SHOULD eat!

It always boils down to this doesn't it! =P