Overestimating Exercise Calories

Options
2»

Replies

• phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    If cleaning isn't exercise, you are doing it wrong!

Come on over when we are scrubbing the rental, we'll teach you how it is done!
    if cleaning is exercise, you're doing exercise wrong. come to the gym. we'll teach you how it's done.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how much you weigh - heavier people do burn more because they are carrying themselves around too. If you are down as moderately/lightly active you should not count housework because the MFP database has already factored in some housework. The only things that count are sweaty, panty cardio activities.
  • brittroady0
    brittroady0 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    OP here - My misunderstanding! I definitely think moving is a workout - but when i see "cleaning - Vigorous" in the database my first thought wasn't moving & hauling things. I was thinking more along the lines of mopping, sweeping, laundry, dusting, etc...

And for the record, this came from me just browsing the database, not any post in particular.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't eat back my MFP excercise calories-I don't have a heart rate monitor, so for all I know I'm not burning nearly that much. I log it, but on days I excercise I only really eat less than 50 calories over my daily goal. I figure I burned at least 50 or more.
  • AIZZO4
    AIZZO4 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Doesn't bother me what people log in. Sometimes I work out on the treadmill but when I log it, I change the name to something funny. I say do whatever makes you happy.
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Your house is a mess, isn't it........just kidding........who cares.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me what TDEE is (im new) Also i went swimmng today for an hour doing breaststroke, I did stop at each end for a few seconds to catch my breath so I put it down as 30 mins and it was calculated as 600 calories burnt!! I am very overweight. The 600 calories then got added to my daily intake, is that right? and what is the "net" bit? Just trying to get my head round it all.

There are two common methods for counting calories for weight loss. The TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) method and the NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) method. MFP uses the NEAT method which is often easier for people new to diet and exercise as they often lack consistency in performing their exercise and don't have a routine down yet. With the NEAT method, exercise is extra activity above and beyond your day to day...and thus extra calories get added to your calorie goal.

The TDEE method accounts for all activity, including exercise...because that activity is already accounted for, you do NOT eat back exercise calories using the TDEE method. Really, they are usually six of one...I'll give you an example.

NEAT Method : 1750 (MFP goal to lose 1 Lb per week) + 300 (exercise calories) = 2050

TDEE Method: 2550 (Maintenance Calories) - 20% = 2,040

As you can see, I gross roughly the same calories using either method...and yes, I was losing 1 Lb per week doing this.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why it should matter to you.

If someone has their activity level set as sedentary, then it can make a big difference.

I wear a fitbit, and it tracks higher activity and calorie burn when I do anything other than sit on my *kitten*.
  • dawnyp72x
    dawnyp72x Posts: 10
    Options
    total daily energy expenditure. basically the number of calories you burn normality in your daily routine. exercise is seperate from this as most people don't do consistent daily exercise. so you would add it to your tdee.

as for your swimming thats a crazy hiiiiigh energy burn for that time frame. like well above what most humans are capable of outputting. you would need to be dam near sprinting full out for 30 straight to hit that level. you might want to recheck that.
    [/quoteYes i thought it was high, ive checked it over and over on the database thing & thats what it comes up with]
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    To each his own.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I have a Heart rate monitor and will sometimes wear it when doing housework to see how many calories I burn. 400 calories is quite possible.
  • misspastry
    misspastry Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    The heavier you are, the more calories you burn. Perhaps the person who puts down the hour of vigorous house cleaning is extremely overweight or obese and really does burn that much. I went to the exercise database and put in 60 minutes of vigorous house cleaning to see how much I'd burn, and it says I'd burn 322 calories because I weigh 236.4 at the moment. I normally don't include house cleaning any more though because I count that as my daily routine.

So before you start knocking anybody for the amount of calories they burn, think about what they probably weigh and let them do their diaries the way they want to. If it's one of your "friends", you can always remove them so you don't have to see.

You tell her girl!!
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i think it depends on situation. i wouldn't enter regular house cleaning but weekend before last my husband and i spent 8 solid hours scrubbing our condo from top to bottom. i spent 45 minutes on my knees with a scrub brush cleaning grout. during several portions of the day my heart rate was up and i was sweating. does that twice a year process not count as exercise because i do a calm version of it regularly? i run for the bus and walk 30 minutes twice a day as part of my daily commute. does that make an hour on the treadmill not exercise because i walk in general?

eta - also, ragging on other people doesn't make you skinnier or healthier. let people make their own journey and interject if they ask for it. don't judge people in their process no good can come from that.
  • aprils151
    aprils151 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Your so right people are so lazy they consider general daily activity exercise now.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Sorry to sound silly but does that mean if I burn 600 calories exercising that I can eat an extra 600 calories and still lose weight?

"Yes" ...... IF you are using MFP (as designed) and exercise is not already accounted for in your set up (activity level)

"Yes" ...... IF your calorie burn is not exaggerated (many machines & MFP use estimates)

So ...... a lot of people eat back a % only.

The reason you eat them back (at least some anyway) .... if you eat 1200 only & exercise for 600 ... this is like eating 600 calories .... way too low .... leads to muscle loss (not just fat loss).
  • dawnyp72x
    dawnyp72x Posts: 10
    Options
    Sorry to the op for butting in with my swimming/calorie burning question & thank you for all the replies x