Chicken breast calories???

Options
sylv1979
sylv1979 Posts: 44 Member
Hey all,

Had a skinless, roasted in oven chicken breast for dinner. After cooked weight was 120grams or 4.23oz. When trying to log have found entries as low as 95cals up to 236cals and every calorie value in between for the same weight, same way cooked chicken breast. Not very helpful as I eat chicken all the time.

Anybody know an accurate calorie count?

Thanks

Replies

• BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    What brand? If you don't know the brand, boneless skinless chicken breast is about 30-33 calories an ounce, raw, or 42 calories an ounce cooked (accounting for shrinkage).

There's a lot of misinformation in the MFP database. People put whatever the heck they want in there. Either go by brand or number of confirmations or get on nutritiondata.com and look it up and compare to entries.
  • apothecarist
    Options
    I go with 120 calories for 4ounces chicken breast
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Add it in manually if you know all the information.
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm eating a boneless skinless chicken breast for dinner tonight and it came to 110 calories for 4 oz. :smile:
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I go with 170 calories per 3 oz based on USDA information here:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/PDF/Chicken_Turkey_Nutrition_Facts.pdf
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Look for the entry in the database named "Chicken - Breast, meat only, cooked, roasted" ... this is the "MFP" (non-member) entry. The data for this entry matches up to the USDA Nutrient database for chicken breast meat only, cooked or roasted.

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/837?fg=Poultry+Products&man=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=25&offset=&sort=&qlookup=chicken+breast
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I'm eating a boneless skinless chicken breast for dinner tonight and it came to 110 calories for 4 oz. :smile:

This is raw weight. Cooked weight would be higher calories.
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Really??? Now I'm confused. It has more calories once cooked?? So, should I adjust it to 170 calories?? UGH. Why does package labeling always misrepresent?? THOSE B*STARDS!!! lol :grumble:
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I get pre-portioned chicken breasts from the store and they are 4 oz raw and say 110 cals per chicken breast, so that is the number I go with. Of ocurse I add anything that they cook in, but I figure it's as close as I am going to get without driving myself totally insane over a calorie count that is still etimated at best.
  • MetilHed
    MetilHed Posts: 101 Member
    Options

Really??? Now I'm confused. It has more calories once cooked?? So, should I adjust it to 170 calories?? UGH. Why does package labeling always misrepresent?? THOSE B*STARDS!!! lol :grumble:

It doesn't actually have more (or less) calories when cooked, it just has less weight. weigh meats before cooking, as cooking method/duration will change the weight.
  • camperchick64
    camperchick64 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I went though this too and found that a lof of the data base not only has the calories wrong but the protetin also. If your paying close attention to your macros - that can make a difference. I did my own research and then found an entry in the database that matched what I came up with and that's the one I use all the time.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Look for the entry in the database named "Chicken - Breast, meat only, cooked, roasted" ... this is the "MFP" (non-member) entry. The data for this entry matches up to the USDA Nutrient database for chicken breast meat only, cooked or roasted.

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/837?fg=Poultry+Products&man=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=25&offset=&sort=&qlookup=chicken+breast
    THIS.

ALWAYS look for the entries without asterisks and use them whenever possible.
  • sylv1979
    sylv1979 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks, the non asterisks info helps a lot. Will try use these in future x