The Treadmill

Options
When I joined the gym a couple of months ago I went on the treadmill and never went back on. I find it so embarrassing being on there. I have never run properly before and do not know how to do it properly, especially on the treadmill.

Does anyone have any tips to overcome this....

Replies

• daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Start by walking and getting used to it. If you've never really run at all, build up a good walking base first, a general rule of thumb is to be able to walk briskly for 30 minutes. Then, find a beginner plan like Cuch to 5K and go from there,
  • roseailish123
    roseailish123 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • bsmith986
    bsmith986 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think I probably look ridiculous when i run on the treadmill (which is one reason I never look behind me at the lovely wall of mirrors.) No one my size is ever running on them, but i figure the gym is the one place i don't mind looking stupid because I am doing something to better myself!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Ignore what every one else thinks. To be honest, no one really cares what you are doing. And if they are paying more attention to you than their own work out then politely finish, walk past them with a smirk of confidence and pride as the sweat drips from your brow.
  • Josieann67
    Options
    Im not a runner either.. just do a fast walk . Thats what I did at the gym..
    I think the first time on a treadmill is scary , a different feeling .. You feel like you could fall off .
    Dont give up . it gets easy.
  • MicroHez
    MicroHez Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    When I joined the gym a couple of months ago I went on the treadmill and never went back on. I find it so embarrassing being on there. I have never run properly before and do not know how to do it properly, especially on the treadmill.

Does anyone have any tips to overcome this....

I totally understand how you feel. I was on vacation this past week and the hotel had a fitness center. I went in the last hour it was open (hoping that no one else was going to be down there). There were 3 other people in there, 2 of which who were using the treadmills. No one said anything to me about doing brisk walking, even though there were running (darn rail thin pre-teens/teens, make me jealous with their ability to run).

But, as other people have said, just walk until you build up to a jogging pace. Most people are going to be really understanding and won't mock you for walking.
  • becca2911
    becca2911 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Start by walking and getting used to it. If you've never really run at all, build up a good walking base first, a general rule of thumb is to be able to walk briskly for 30 minutes. Then, find a beginner plan like Cuch to 5K and go from there,

Couch to 5k is great!!!

I used to run holding onto the handles! LOL... terrified i would fall off! We all have to start somewhere...
  • roseailish123
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I will give it a go tomorrow evening. I usually do 20mins on cross trainer - 20mins cycling - 10mins rowing and 15 mins weights but i really want to add some running/jogging in there somewhere!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    today I did the treadmill "hill" mode for 70 minutes and burned 750 calories. I can't run so I walk at 3.0 speed on the hill mode for a crazy super burn.......
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I try to think that I may look stupid now, but once I hit my goal I will forget how dumb I looked while I worked out lol. Seriously no one is going to remember what you looked like working out. I don't even pay attention to other people at the gym.
  • roseailish123
    Options
    blimey! that sounds soo hard! well done! I defiantly don't think I am there yet.. do you see results by brisk walking?
  • roseailish123
    Options
    I try to think that I may look stupid now, but once I hit my goal I will forget how dumb I looked while I worked out lol. Seriously no one is going to remember what you looked like working out. I don't even pay attention to other people at the gym.

Very True. I don't notice other people either. I just feel silly on the treadmill.. im going to try again tomorrow anyway and see if that works better
  • brent_woods
    Options
    A brisk walk can be just as effective as running, with less impact on the joints. Moreover, if you have access to an incline treadmill, you can experiment with slopes.

Since I am obese, I choose to walk to minimize impact on my arthritic hips. When the treadmill is on an incline, I find this an excellent cardio workout. Currently, I use an interval workout for 35 minutes with slopes ranging from 21% to 30% at 3.0 mph and find that this gets my heart rate well into the aerobic and anaerobic training zones.

In so far as the embarrassment, don't even worry about it. People do not generally go to gyms to make fun of others (at least I don't), but likely respect you for doing something about your fitness. Don't be afraid to ask a coach for assistance if you're not sure how to use the equipment.

Keep it up!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    When I first tried to run on the treadmill, I felt like a drunken elephant who might go careening off the belt over the welcome desk at any moment. I held on to the handrails for dear life while I cranked that baby up to, oh... 4.5 or so. I cringed at every footfall because I felt like mine were louder than anyone that ever ran on a treadmill before. My legs and feet felt disconnected from my body and I had to focus on every single step.

I kept at it, a little at a time. I didn't careen off the belt, and no one ever overtly pointed and laughed at me. My cell phone (I use it for music) did go flying several times, until I figured out that I needed an armband instead of putting it in cup holder, where I'd catch the headphone cord with my wildly waving arms and send it flying in pieces two rows over.

I started C25K, and it kicked my *kitten* so hard every time that I forgot to be self-conscious because I was just praying to suck in enough oxygen to keep from suffering a cardiac event.

I kept at it, and now, believe it or not, I do an "easy mile" on the treadmill as my regular warm up. An "easy mile!"

If I can do it, you can do it. Be brave, you too can run on the treadmill!
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Please look up couch to 5k! There are apps, websites and all different ways to follow the program.

It is basically the way to get from being a non runner to being able to run your first 5k in a matter of 6-9 weeks (or more, depending on how slowly you need to take it)

You CAN do it! And please give outdoors running a go, it is so much better than the treadmill!

I used to think my body wasn't physically able to run (haha), I used to try to do everything except running.
    One day - sick of the crosstrainer - I gave the treadmill a go. I ran at the slowest running speed for a few minutes, then went down to a fast walk when I got out of breath. I kept going until eventually I could run for 8 minutes at a time!
    Then I ran outside for the first time - it was scary! But I was so proud to run/walk for 2 miles.
    I threw myself in the deep end and signed up for Race for life, 5k. I had a month. This pushed me and eventually I could run 5k without walking. On the day I beat my best time and raised 300 pounds for Cancer Research UK!

YOU CAN DO IT!

Couch to 5k: http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

A post I made before for beginners to running: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/758071-for-those-who-think-they-can-t-run-or-those-starting-running
  • jabaa91
    jabaa91 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    just get your headphones on and run like no ones watching! i often find myself mouting away to songs or giggling when i remember something stupid from a memory that a song brings. i understand though, the gym i go to is full of half naked girls and theres nothing worse than feeling self concious when you are a sweating mess! (or maybe thats just me?)

just think, the results that you will get are worth it!! :)
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Start off slow... walk on it at a comfortable pace then eventually up the speed to a brisk walk. Then you can jump on something like couch to 5k which is interval running gradually building you up to a full run. Its fabulous!! Its hard to get a good podcast with music you will like for it, but I have an ipod touch and I downloaded an app for it that works with whatever music I am playing and just lowers the volume to tell me to run or walk. It was free too :)