Low impact workout advice please :)

Options
Hi there I figured this would be the best place to ask,

One of the main reasons, infact the only reason I drop off my excercise plans (and don't lose weight) time and time again is because I end up not being able to walk! Now i don't just mean the burning pain you get after excercise, i don't mind that, heck i enjoy it, what i mean is that my left knee becomes 100% impossible to walk on or even move. It bruises really badly from the inside and swells up with my skin feeling like it's on fire :[ I'm so motivated to excercise but my weak knees really hinder me from doing anything that will actually make a difference to my bodyweight.

I'm currently 13stone and i have quite a heavy chest. I'm really out of excercise/fitness because my job involves me spending a lot of time either sitting drawing or sitting at the PC. Hours and hours on end day after day i work from home. The problem with my knees I think comes from the fact that I always sit with my legs crossed and it can get really sore after a few hours.

I've tried many different workouts and they always start off great. The first day is tough and I wake up feeling stiff but it's managable. The next few days i get faster and better, i go for about a week/2 weeks and then bam, my legs just give up on me. It really upsets me, I'm only 28. I don't have any medical problems, i just have really weak knees from the lack of excercise/walking.

The last workout i tried i really liked it, it was the Vicky Entwistle - WOW! - Weight Off Workout dvd. I was really getting into it but all the jumping on the spot trashed my knees for a fortnight. I had to lie in bed feeling totaly miserable and very lost on my attempts to get into shape. I want to be around 10st and fit into size 12 clothes. I'm currently a size 18 and feeling very low. I'm 5'7.

Looking on youtube i see videos of people heavier than me managing to do all these jumping excercises and i was wondering if all overweight people have bad knees or if it's just me :[ how am i supposed to burn the calories if i can't move after 2 weeks. Can anyone reccomend a low impact routine that works? I can't swim (hate swimming) (and wouldn't be seen dead in a swimming costume) so that's not an option *lol* Anyone? I really want to be able to find something and just get on with it without having to keep giving up for months.

The more failed workouts i go through the more i just get demotivated and eat rubbish. Vicious cycle. Can anyone help or share experiences, I'd really appreciate it.

Replies

• 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    First, I think your Dr. should take a look at your knee. Second, buy a knee brace/wrap (I have Futuro but don't know if you have them there). Swimming or Water Aerobics are really great low impact exercises. If you don't have a pool, ask a friend or join a gym that has one. Water acts as a resistence so you work out harder than land but feel it less :happy:
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    How far are you walking? Walking is really low impact and if you don't have a pre-existing medical injury you should be ok. I had really bad shin splints when I first started walking.....yeah I could walk around on a daily basis, but when I tried walking for exercise, my shins hurt bad and I was walking funny by the end. I was told it was lactic acid that collects, and the more you do it the better it will get (not sure if this is what's hurting you, but it's possible) I started with just 30 minutes 4 days a week, and after several weeks the pain got better, and then eventually went away all together. I have since walked a 10K, and even got into light jogging and ran/walked a 10K this past April.

Shoes also make a big difference. For a while I was walking/running in sketchers. Sure they look like running shoes, but they aren't necessarily made for it. I went to a running store and they watched me walk and recommended a specific type of shoe, which have made my feet more happy. The key is to start off slow, when you're feeling pain stop, and just try to do the same amount each time until you can begin to increase.

Riding a bike is also very non-impact, I love biking and I am up to 20 mile rides. Swimming is also a great non-impact work out.
  • tehsalsa
    tehsalsa Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've only recently started here, but I know how it feels when your knees give out :( I have loose joints and tendonitis in both knees and a hip, so I've had some trouble finding low-impact exercise. So I told this to the head coach at my school, and he recommended that I start swimming laps, or even just walking in shallow water. The resistance exercise really builds muscles, and once you get good enough at lap swimming it's great cardio that burns a LOT of calories, plus you build muscle all over your body. If there's a public pool near you, try it during open swim. It's totally worth it!
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    I wasn't sure how much 15 stones is so I looked it up, and came up with this 15 stone -= 210lbs,
    I was 225lbs when I started and even know my knees will hurt sometimes. I have changed the way I sit to relieve pressure from my knees. I don't take the stairs, because it's just to much for me, if i take the stairs I wouldn't be able to do everything else I do. Have you tried the elliptical that's fairly low impact. I wouldn't push to hard on the second day, ease into it, if you know how your body is going to respond don't be so hard on it. Maybe even only work out every other day so your knees have time to recover and get used to what you're trying to make them do.
    You should see what a doctor has to say about your knee.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I have knee problems and shin splints so I know how hard it is. I use Tiger Balm patches while I exercise for temp pain relief while exercising. I am able to walk on treadmills without pain. Walking anywhere else is just too painful. My mom got two new kneews a few years ago and I remember her working out to DVD's where you stay seated in a chair. Think something like that would help?
  • Duganhorse
    Duganhorse Posts: 55
    Options
    I would probably ask your dr or a physical therapist. You can try doing pilates. It is no impact. It is all slow, core muscle building movements. It is not cardio, but it burns a grat deal of calories while building muscle that will help boost your metabolism.
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem but maybe not as severe. My knee surgeon recommended I not take up jogging. I can only do so much of it before I can feel it in my knees. I think it's a matter of cartilage wear that has already taken place plus some meniscus trimming and damage that makes more wear inevitable.

So what I've done is used an elliptical. I started with one 20 minute session per day and worked up to 30 minutes then two 30 minute sessions per day and eventually two 45 minute sessions per day. That burns a lot of calories. I am able to continue to stick with it because I watch DVD's of my favorite shows, movies, and concerts while exercising.

You can start off with an inexpensive used elliptical to see if it will work out for you. Hopefully you'll like it and can get something high quality and heavy duty that will last.

Good luck.
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I am actually legally handicapped due to my knees so any exercise routine that requires any jumping I can't do. I know everyone recommends the water aerobics which actually do work great but I see you won't go in the water. Walking is what I starting out with and we are close in weight. I started out just going slightly faster than normal and just kept adding time. Then I starting carrying hard weights and do arm stuff while walking. I have built up my stamina to where now I have started doing Turbo Jam exercise videos. In all of them, she has folks you can follow that ae doing it low impact with no jumping, That has been working for me.

Good luck
  • unknownndoll
    unknownndoll Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Walk away the pounds by Leslie Sandsone is a easy low impact "walking" (in place at home) video. She has like 1-5 miles (15-55 minutes i think). They are all very easy, similar steps to each video.
  • merbee
    merbee Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Low impact is tough. Myself - even walking is too much impact on my knee. I love my Wii - but that little bitty board a scant few inches off the ground is enough to blow my knee out too. In saying that - I can ride a bike though. I dunno - bending and moving it doesn't seem to be a problem - it is all in the foot hitting the ground. Also - check out kettlebells. I have just discovered them myself and am so enjoying the workout they give you. Different than any other workout I have done. I love them
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    Walking is a good low impact workout. My knees aren't the greatest. I found starting off slow with walking and then working up. I can now do 46 minute wii active workout with no problems. I do like the Leslie Sansone walk at home. However, it is not available in the UK. I did a walk that is on her website called 1 mile express. Give it a try and see how you do on that... http://www.walkathome.com/ . I have sent an email asking when and if the dvds may become available in the UK but no reply yet. I think the important thing to do is for you to start off slowly. Walk for 15 minutes even if it is at home. Then slowly increase this to more minutes.
  • Robin304
    Robin304 Posts: 64
    Options
    I also have knee issues. Like others I recommend talking to your md and then trying Leslie Sansone's DVD's. There are even a few of her workouts available on youtube that you can access for free. You can make them as light or as intense as you are comfortable with. I am part of a challenge group on MFP called the SWaT team. We are finishing up our first month and about to begin the second on Tuesday. It's a great group and you are welcome to join us. I started walking only 1 mile a day and now walk 4 miles daily. I plan to bump it up to 5 miles for next month's challenge. I'm having no issues whatsover with my knees and am still burning lots of calories.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I've had knee issues for as long as I can remember. I find walking the treadmill can be a bit of a pain and I end up walking funny to compensate. When I'm having a lot of issues, I do the bike. In fact, the bike was the first piece of equipment I was put on after having knee surgery. Just a few months ago, when I started exercising, it was the top thing recommended to me by my family doctor, my endocrinologist and my dietician. I've yet to have any knee problems with the bike. I can't say that about the treadmill, Wii or any other workout.

Good luck!! :)
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Walking is a very good low impact exercise. I walk outside and I also like the Leslie Sansone DVDs. She also has a few videos on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVjwkaLGDk&feature=channel

Water aerobics is a very good low impact exercise as well.

I am trying to lose weight before I develop knee problems (I have just started noticing a little trouble going up stairs). I am doing walking for now.... was thinking of jogging but now I think I am going to stick with walking and power walking until I lose some more weight. :)

I just got Wii Fit Plus and have been doing tons of low impact exercise with it as well. :)