Is anyone on the HCG Diet?

Options

Replies

• LittleMissAngi
    LittleMissAngi Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I heard HORRIBLE things about that!

500cal per day?!? Now that is truly not healthy!
  • Slim115
    Slim115 Posts: 20
    Options
    i have to admit though, so far so good!. i'll keep posting my progress.. thanks!
  • sphinctress
    sphinctress Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    What is HCG other than hCG as in human chorionic gonadotropin which would imply you're pregnant?
    : )
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    What is HCG other than hCG as in human chorionic gonadotropin which would imply you're pregnant?
    : )
    The hormones and one and the same. HCG offers a protection to a pregnant woman's internal organs and muscle and a British doctor did clinical trials using it as a weight-loss aid back in the 1950's. If you search for HCG in these forums, you'll find more than a few individuals here that have had success with it.
  • fivefatcats
    fivefatcats Posts: 368
    Options
    I am on the HCG diet now. Feel free to read my daily blog on MFP. I am happy to discuss it constructively with anyone.!
  • leftyy2k4
    leftyy2k4 Posts: 71
    Options
    Never seen so many people proud to be starving yourself. Talking bout the same debunked 1950 study. Good job. You have a eating disorder you should be proud.
  • Slim115
    Slim115 Posts: 20
    Options
    wow! good for you, i started the HCG diet on the 20th, lost 9.4 pounds, i'm very happy about it! would have lost more but i ate carrots last wed and gained 1.6, this stuff doesn't play! you got to stick with it to a T. keep me posted, i would love too see your continued success! God BLess!
  • fivefatcats
    Options
    I lost 9.2 the first week and now, at the end of week three am at 17.2 lost, so I averaged 4lbs per week the 2nd & 3rd weeks. Try not to be too discouraged on days you have small losses. From what I have heard from those who are further along, by the time you are done you will average .5 to .8 per day which means that your losses will be smaller as you go. Still - keeping in mind what wasn't working for me before - 3 1/2 lbs a week is a miracle!!
  • godglo
    godglo Posts: 3
    Options
    This is not easy, eveyone is right that you must follow to a T. I did an extra 250 cal yesterday and gained back 1.5 lb. I am struggling to stay focused and not think about food as I am very hungry. It is so easy to eat an extra ccouple hundred calories! I lost 9 lb in first week since then I have hovered gaining losing a half pound for a week until yesterday's gain. I want to buckle down and stick to 500 calories for the remainder of this diet to make this worth it but I am HUNGRY!
  • fivefatcats
    Options
    This is not easy, eveyone is right that you must follow to a T. I did an extra 250 cal yesterday and gained back 1.5 lb. I am struggling to stay focused and not think about food as I am very hungry. It is so easy to eat an extra ccouple hundred calories! I lost 9 lb in first week since then I have hovered gaining losing a half pound for a week until yesterday's gain. I want to buckle down and stick to 500 calories for the remainder of this diet to make this worth it but I am HUNGRY!

My best suggestions to you are to:
    1: be sure to get your fluids. Find a drink you love (I love my iced tea with Stevia) and drink alot of it. Lemon juice in water with some stevia may work for you. My sis is/was a big water drinker - a gallon a day easy.
    2: Be sure to get all 100g of protein at each of your meals. It is a vital part of the VLCD to help maintain your lean mass.
    3: I have not thwarted my diet by going overboard on the veggies. Handful, shmandful. You know what 50 calories of lettuce looks like - its ALOT!!! Or cabbage, or celery, or spinach, or tomatoes. If my protein is between 100-150 calories, I allow myself to supplement my 'meal' with my vegetable up to 50-75 calories - which can be a large serving.
    4: Try some creative recipes. I have made a celery soup using no sugar chicken broth (5 cals per cup) and seasonings suggested by recipes found online.
    5: Find something else to occupy your time. Read, walk, play - something that gets you away from where you eat.

Feel free to check my food diary, my blog, or message me for recipe websites if it might help!

Good luck.
  • fivefatcats
    Options
    I JUST FOUND THIS SITE THAT HAS SOME GREAT GREAT GREAT TIPS!

http://www.vegetarian-weight-loss-success.com/vlcd.html
  • Kera885
    Kera885 Posts: 59
    Options
    I went on it for a while once. While the calories are extremely limited, the constant results (about a pound a day) make it worth it. However, soon after stopping you go into the phase where you can't have carbs and then you go back into "normal eating" which won't sustain your weight loss after being stuck on 500 calories for so long. Shortly after the diet everything is fine, even if you want to do a couple more rounds, it'll work. But, I've never personally heard of anyone maintaining HCG weight loss. I lost about 40 lbs on it and gained every last pound back. Now 'm doing it the old fashioned way. Oh, that's the other thing that really bothered me about HCG, not only is it 500 cal a day, but it's also recommended that you not exercise. Talk about unhealthy and ultimately disappointing. Before this diet I was able to lose weight semi-easily but it just wasn't fast enough (like everyone at one point or another, I wanted a quick fix) and that stuff really messes with your metabolism (and not in the good way that it claims) it's taken me a year to feel comfortable with dieting properly again. This of course is just my experience, and if you feel differently that's great too.
  • Duganhorse
    Duganhorse Posts: 55
    Options
    I agree that it is really unhealthy. You will lose weight fast but you will also be losing lean muscle mass witch helps boost your metabolism. As soon as you stop restricting yourself you gain weight fast and have a slower metabolism. If you stay on it too long you will start having other health problems similar to someone who is annorexic. Please be careful of these types of diets.
  • melodymom74
    Options
    I haven't tried the HCG Diet but I have tried several others. For me, diets screw up my metabolism and I end up gaining all the weight back plus much much more. I don't want the unhealthy fat coming on again and messing up my metabolism especially shrinking my muscle mass. I saw a body builder on you-tube a who said, " You want to be skinny and fit not skinny and fat". I agree with him, that is why I am exercising and eating a well balance diet. I wish everyone a good journey to their goal weight.
  • godglo
    godglo Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for your words of wisdom. I am going to search for that celery soup recipe then go to the grocery store (to pass some time before I eat again), sounds wonderful and warm liquid is always filling ... I have a 9 month old and his baby food is looking good today!!
  • fivefatcats
    Options
    I was doing some research on VLCDs today (with or without HCG) and found that much of the 'unhealthiness' comes from not eating enough protein to maintain lean mass and not drinking enough fluids and becoming dehydrated.

I don't feel that the way I am doing it is unhealthy at all.

I DO feel that whether or not I am able to maintain my weight loss will be a measure of the discipline I have gained during this process.

I DO feel that maintaining a food diary should be as regular a part of my life as my exercise routine and eating itself.

I can't tell you about maintenance yet but hope I have great things to say in 6 months.

Also, I had a body composition analysis done before starting HCG and plan to have another in September after HCG. I am very curious to see the results and if/how my lean body mass was affected!! I'll let you know!
  • makinitcount44
    makinitcount44 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    where are you getting your HCG from and for how much?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    In the scientific literature, weight loss is only considered "successful" if it is maintained for at least 2 years. By those standards, every meta-analysis I have ever read that studied "diets" --the one mentioned here and every other one that has ever been tried--reported a 2 year failure rate of 95+% for all of these "programs".

You can do the math.
  • fivefatcats
    Options
    I am missing your point I think . . are you saying all diets fail and this one is no different?

Or are you saying that regardless of how you get there, its how you stay there that matters?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I am missing your point I think . . are you saying all diets fail and this one is no different?

Or are you saying that regardless of how you get there, its how you stay there that matters?

It's a matter of percentages. The research suggests that almost all "diets" (which would include this one) fail when it comes to realizing long-term (greater than 2 years) weight loss. Many of them "succeed" in the short term, and that's when you hear all of the publicity. But no one is there down the road when all the weight has been regained and the person feels worse about themselves than they did before.

By "diet", I mean any kind of radically different eating plan (the HCG one included), including the use of almost all OTC supplements. There are medical interventions that are sometimes necessary--although they often have less than optimal long-term success rates as well.

Anyhow, my job is to present facts. Anyone who wants to roll the dice can make their own decisions. The main thing is that 1-month, 2-month, or even 6-month tesimonials of "success" are meaningless as far as "proving" the long-term effectiveness of any "diet strategy".