Fresh Gym Workout Idea!

I was getting bored with my gym workout of cross trainer or treadmill then weights, so I found this e-book that helps to mix it up a bit!

One of the suggestions, which I followed, was to do 5 kilometers - but 1k on 5 different machines.

I also mixed it up with adding 10 press ups or 10 crunches in between each kilometer. I thought it was a cool idea that I wanted to share :) It made me use different machines which i wouldn't normally of used and I felt like I got a good workout out of it.

It went like this:
- 1k on crosstrainer
- 10 press ups
- 1k running on treadmill
- 10 crunches
- 1k rowing machine
- 10 burpees
- 1k stair climber
- 10 press ups
- 1k treadmill (ran out of machines and hate the bike)

Do you guys ever do a slightly different workout at the gym like this? A sort of gym challenge?

I think the e-book was called Gymspiration btw if anyones interested (I don't have any affiliation with it).

Replies

• deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    If anyone has any interesting workouts they do at the gym I'd be keen to hear!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Men's Health magazine has these Spartacus workouts that are a lot like the one you described. They are kind of a fun way to mix it up.
    http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/high-intensity-circuit-routine/
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Men's Health magazine has these Spartacus workouts that are a lot like the one you described. They are kind of a fun way to mix it up.
    http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/high-intensity-circuit-routine/

Tufel, thanks for that - sounds quite similar and fun - is that just with using weights?
  • alisa1958
    alisa1958 Posts: 16
    I do something like this at home. I choose a aerobic (cardio) exercise and then follow it with a strength move
    using a 3-8lb dumbbell. I rest only after the circuit is completed. So it goes from one exercise to the next.

Example workout:

*1min of jumping jack
    push ups (15 reps) on toes or you can go on your knees
    *1 min of jump rope
    walk outs with push up (10-15reps)
    *1 minute of skiers (side lateral jumps)
    squats with shoulder press
    *1 minute of jogging
    stationary lunges with bicep curls (10-15 reps each leg)
    *1 minute of high knees (start with 30 seconds as with all cardio moves if need be)
    standing bent over rows

then repeat the above 2 or 3 times

3 circuits should take about 30 minutes or so
    do 5 minutes of a warm up and a few minutes of a cool down

alisa
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    The weights you use are dumbbells. And, you don't need to use very heavy ones. In fact, I would recommend using light weights (less than 15 pounds) at first, because it turns out the routine is quite a killer. Also, be sure you do not do your reps too fast because you have to do them for a minute (or 45 seconds, or something) and you will have a hard time making it through the entire routine if you do.
    They have other iterations of these "Spartacus" workouts too, if you want to check them out. One, I think, is called "2012" and one is called "2.0."
    They are kinda fun and they are designed to work all parts of your body (Legs, chest, back, etc.)
  • That's really good han! I'll be trying this when I get back home this weekend!! xxx