Every time I do full pushups, I pull a stomach muscle.

Options
I teach taekwondo for a living, and being able to do a pushup is important to me, since it is a basic part of our warmups. I've never been especially fond of them, but since around 2006, full pushups almost always end up with me in pain.

The first time it happened at a training camp in 2006, I took it easy, just assumed I had done too many (I had been doing 100 every days for weeks to prepare for the training camp) and just took it easy for a few weeks. It was sensitive after that, so I started doing pushups on my knees.

Fast forward to 2010, when I have t do a fitness evaluation as part of my rank advancement test. About 30 pushups in and I pull the same lower ab muscle I had injured years before. It's a searing sensation and quite unpleasant. Took it easy let it heal, and basically avoided pushups whenever possible.

Since December, I started a new fitness plan and wanted to work up to doing full pushups again. I began doing the 100 Pushup plan from www.hundredpushups.com on my knees. I had to repeat a few weeks, but I completed the program 2 weeks ago. I restarted the program last week with full pushups, did 26 on Monday, 33 on Wednesday and 42 on Friday. They were challenging but doable. Today I started my first set (9), and felt some pulling in my lower abs. I made sure to try to keep my abs tight and finished the set. Started my second set, and on the 2nd one, same searing pain sensation.

I'm able to do situps, plank position, leg raises and oblique exercises without too much trouble, so I didn't think I had abnormally weak ab muscles, but I'm starting to wonder since I keep re-injuring the same place (with LOTS of rest and recovery time in between incidents). What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• Crucifry
    Crucifry Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You're not doing anything wrong luv, you have a pre-existing injury. Just stop!!! I can't do tricep dips off a bench. I dislocated my sternum and 5 ribs doing them weighted over a year ago...and while I have insanely strong triceps, I go anywhere near a dip and I'm screwed. I don't *need* to do them. You don't *need* to do push ups.
  • alayahlan
    alayahlan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do need to be able to safely demonstrate them for students. Teaching martial arts is my full time job. I would like to find out ways to strengthen the muscles I keep injuring to allow me to do them safely.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I think it would be worth a check up. It sounds similar to what I felt with a very small hernia. Not a big deal, but they often like to fix them or monitor them. It might not be, but whatever the injury it's worth checking properly.
  • leojsivad
    leojsivad Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try the doctor? Perhaps you need a bit of physical therapy to let it heal properly.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I second the doctor plan. When an otherwise strong muscle in an otherwise healthy person keeps reinjuring with minimal strain, it's often a sign that something is wrong. If it is a hernia, you need to get it repaired. It won't heal on its own.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I think it would be worth a check up. It sounds similar to what I felt with a very small hernia. Not a big deal, but they often like to fix them or monitor them. It might not be, but whatever the injury it's worth checking properly.

This is exactly what I was going to say!