how do i make my sweey potato fries crisp?

Options
I would like to make them tonight and every time I coat them w/ olive oil & some cinnamon and bake on 400 for quite a bit of time,they come out floppy and mushy:/

Any tips?

Replies

• abricklin
    abricklin Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    spray with pam instead of oil to keep them dryer, also you do not need to bake very long. I usually do 20 minutes at 400 and 5 minutes in the broiler. They are not soggy, we can eat them with our hands, but they are not crispy like restaurant fries.... mainly because you are not deep frying.
  • karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    krinkle up some aluminum foil then lay out on a pan. It helps heat the fries in different spots.
  • bikinibrooke123
    Options
    :flowerforyou: thanks. I'll do this. I never thought of broiling them..
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I use my wire rack on a baking sheet and put them under the broiler for a bit until the edges start to turn brown. Then I let em cool there for a minute and toss em in a mixing bowl with my choice of seasonings. No oil or spray needed at all!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    boil or bake them, then put them under the broiler. (i prefer to boil first, it's faster and more energy efficient)
  • p1nkpr1ncess
    p1nkpr1ncess Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering this too! Is broiling the same as putting them under a grill? (Sorry I'm in UK and don't know what broiling is! Haha!!)
    -x-x-
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering this too! Is broiling the same as putting them under a grill? (Sorry I'm in UK and don't know what broiling is! Haha!!)
    -x-x-

Broil is the function where the heat comes from the top down rather than from the bottom which is normally used to bake. It is probably the grill function on your stove.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
  • booch221
    booch221 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Try cranking up the heat to 450 or even 500.

Roast them on parchment paper-- they brown nicely and don't stick.