Using a Polar FT4 (or similar HRM) on a mud run!?

Options
Hey there! I recently got a Polar HRM and I'm loving it so far. I know that it is water proof to a certain depth but has anyone done a mud run like the warrior dash or spartan race (etc etc) wearing a HRM? usually you get covered in mud and soaked so I'm j/w if the wrist part will be okay or any suggestions to wrap it a little? The HRM would be under my shirt obviously and usually mud doesn't get through too much, just the water.

Any stories of it being used in a situation that is questionable are appreciated as well! :)

Replies

• dcander2
    dcander2 Posts: 19
    Options
    Since I got no response I contacted Polar directly. They said the watch would definitely stand up in mud/water and to clean it with water and mild soap. However they did specify that whenever the watch is submerged not to press buttons. I am so excited to try it out at my race this Saturday!!
  • LilMissAmers
    LilMissAmers Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I was wondering if it would hold up ok. I have the FT60 and I'm signed up to do Tough Mudder in November! Thanks for the info :D
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Good info, wondering if mine can be integrated with my iPhone somehow...
  • angelsingin4jc
    Options
    Since I got no response I contacted Polar directly. They said the watch would definitely stand up in mud/water and to clean it with water and mild soap. However they did specify that whenever the watch is submerged not to press buttons. I am so excited to try it out at my race this Saturday!!

This is exactly what I was going to say. :-)
  • dcander2
    Options

What do you mean?
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

What do you mean?
    I've heard of people having the information from the watch synced to their computers or their phones automatically
  • dcander2
    Options
    ohh, I think some models do that but the FT4 doesn't
  • anastazia87
    Options
    Thanks for posting up the answer you got from polar, I've been wondering the same thing and hadn't been able to find any info on it so your post was extremely helpful! :smile:
  • dlunetta74
    dlunetta74 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I have a mud run tomorrow and this is exactly what I was wondering :)
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    ohh, I think some models do that but the FT4 doesn't

And some heart rate monitor straps can connect directly to the iPhone/ ipad and some smart phones! There is the app "polar beat" that works with bluetooth heart monitor straps such as the Polar H7.

Be careful though to get the right strap, not all of Polar's straps can sync your heart rate directly to your phone!
    Stef.