unrealistic to have my high school weight as my goal?

Options
I am a 32 yo working mother who is trying to get fit, lose weight, and tone. I have 17 more pounds to lose to get to my weight when I was 1in high school. I have people telling me not to make that my goal, that it is only setting myself up for failure. That weight would put me in a healthy bmi range (lower part) so I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.

Anyone else shooting for a goal that others think is unrealistic?

Background - 5'1"
32 years old
150ish starting weight
127 lbs currently
110 goal (allows for 5 lb fluctuation so I would be 115 max)

Replies

• Kaathmandu
    Kaathmandu Posts: 129
    Options
    If it is in the healthy bmi range, and you are not taller than then, sure, go for your high school weight.
    (Be aware, though, woman/mother hormones you have now may not want your body to be lower end bmi.)
    Good luck :smile:
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    It may be harder than it was then, but it seems doable, with determination. Good luck; I'm aiming for 3 pounds UNDER my HS weight, myself.
  • burnt_irish1
    burnt_irish1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Makes sense to me.... let the haters hate :):drinker:
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I don't think that goal weight is a problem for your height. A lot of young women are leaner and slimmer during puberty than adulthood, so I can see why some people might be uncomfortable with that goal.

I am about 30 pounds lower now than I was in high school, so it's all relative. If you want to push to that weight and it's still in the healthy range, why not go for it?
  • blood6338
    blood6338 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My goal is actually 15 pounds below where I graduated high school. An ambitious goal for sure but I'd rather shoot for the stars and fall short than aim for nothing and hit it. I can always adjust my goal later if I see it's truly not reasonable.
  • FitSuga
    FitSuga Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have anything to worry about. I was shorter than I am now in high school and it would be unrealistic for me to get to that weight. If you are of similar height now and it's within a healthy range there is no reason that can't be your goal. Even IF you can't make that particular goal, if it's a healthy one, what is really the harm? Maybe you'll get to 120 and think dang I look great and want to stop.
  • i_sling_sticks
    Options
    Def legit! Go get it!
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    As long as it's within BMI and you're not starving yourself to get there - it makes sense to me! Why not also take care of measurements not just the pounds - if you are gaining muscle, you will weigh more but look a LOT better - and usually be smaller in cms/inches.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is less than my HS weight, but I was fat in HS...

I would say that as long as you go about attaining your goal in healthy ways (making good food choices, getting plenty of exercise, giving your body enough fuel and nutrition) you'll eventually get to a place where you are satisfied with how you look and feel. That may be the number you've identified, and it may be something entirely different. Just focus on making healthy choice =)
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    For me, it largely depends on how I look at a particular weight. Which is more important to you: the number on the scale or what you actually look like. I highly recommend taking measurements and using the scale periodically to track progress, but focus more on achieving a leaner look rather than a lower weight. Lower weight does not equate with fit and in shape, keep that in mind.
  • zombiemusicgirl
    zombiemusicgirl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Not if it motivates you!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I already weigh less than I did in HS. :smile:
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Just depends on your body comp then vs now. I don't want to hit my highschool weight but I do want to wear the same size or smaller. I will inevitably weigh more though b/c I didn't have great body comp and would prefer a lower BF% now.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I am a 32 yo working mother who is trying to get fit, lose weight, and tone. I have 17 more pounds to lose to get to my weight when I was 1in high school. I have people telling me not to make that my goal, that it is only setting myself up for failure. That weight would put me in a healthy bmi range (lower part) so I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.

Anyone else shooting for a goal that others think is unrealistic?

Background - 5'1"
    32 years old
    150ish starting weight
    127 lbs currently
    110 goal (allows for 5 lb fluctuation so I would be 115 max)

you're not very tall so 110-115 probably isn't unrealistic.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I'm now at my high school weight. This summer I'm going to my 40th reunion. I can't wait to walk in the door.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I weigh less than I did my senior year in high school.
    I'm at the low end of my BMI.
    That is where I am comfortable.

Go for it!
  • ceewhocat
    Options
    A few people have already addressed what I was wanted to say, but I'll add my opinion if it helps. I've been out of high school for about 7 years, and I started exercising about 5 years ago. I have completely changed my body composition by losing fat and adding muscle over the years, but I'm now at the point where I weigh the same as I did when I was in high school, even though I am two sizes smaller. I keep thinking I have tons of weight to get off, when it's likely that all I have left is about 5 pounds of vanity weight. Maybe you are in the same boat. Just keep increasing your exercise intensity and eating clean, but try not to let the scale drive you crazy, because you are doing great!
  • SarahDavs
    SarahDavs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    When asked what my goal weight was I said my high school weight: 120 but then when asked what weight I was happy with, I realized it was a bit higher. So right now I'm shooting for 140. But who knows? I might get to 140 and decided I want to keep losing. We shall see. But no I don't think it's unrealistic to want to be a weight you were capable of being in the past.