TREADMILLS, ELLIPTICALS & STAIR MASTERS

Options
I've been working out at the gym 6 days a week since Feb. 2. Doing cardio on the machines is my everyday must! However, this past week I've notice an inconsistency with what the machines say I burn calories & what My Fitness Pal says my calories burn is. Yesterday & today were the exact same cardio workouts. On the treadmill I accomplished, 0 incline 10 minutes warm up at a speed of 3.5, then 50 minutes speed at 4.0,with a cool down of 2 minutes a grand total 62 minutes. The machine read 349 calories burned yesterday & MFP read 879 calories burned today. My personal trainer says to go by MFP readings cause I've inputted my body stats. WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?

Replies

• ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    Google treadmill calculator, it allows you to input incline, speed, distance and your weight.

I find it to be accurate if you don't have an HRM.
  • starfinale
    starfinale Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    For me, MFP over estimates my burns and the machines underestimates. I would suggest getting a heart rate monitor. They're more accurate.
  • KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd stick with the machine reading because I was always afraid of over-estimating what i'd burned! Which is why I ended up getting a heart rate monitor, finally. I got the polar ft4 - it keeps track of my heartrate and cals burned. For me, I felt like my actual cals burned is generally inbetween the machine reading and MFP estimate, but the MFP estimate is ALWAYS quite a bit higher than my actual cals burned. Not sure whats up with that, but the moral is, invest in a heart rate monitor. It's worth it !
  • TraceysJourney
    TraceysJourney Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I used to go by the machine , then i bought a polar HRM and i go by that and it is lower that what the treadmill says i have burned :( But i am assuming its more accurate, just makes me want to work harder :)
  • ChelleBalady
    Options
    For me, MFP over estimates my burns and the machines underestimates. I would suggest getting a heart rate monitor. They're more accurate.

This
  • kcrhodes85
    kcrhodes85 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i normally subtract a 100 from whatever the machine says and thats what i log on here
  • WeightWatcherCindy
    Options
    MFP overestimates calorie burns by a lot . The machines at my gym are always off too . I use a Polar FT4 heart rate monitor . I don't think you will get close to the actual calorie burn unless you use a heart rate monitor . Cindy :flowerforyou:
  • soberchic12297
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies it looks as though I will be purchasing a heart rate monitor in the near future