substitutions for bread

Options
I have noticed that white bread takes up a lot of my calories. Because of some medical conditions I cannot handle wheat bread of any kind. White bread is the only bread I have been able to tolerate. I love lunch meat and it seems to be pretty low in calories for a quick lunch but the bread (2 slices white) is taking up a lot of calories for me. I have tried like tortilla wraps but cant seem to keep them too long without them turning moldy, (like 1-2 days). I also tried english muffins but had the same problem. Any ideas on what to substitute for bread since any kind of whole wheat lower calorie bread doesn't work with my stomach? Also any good way of storing wraps and such so they don't go bad so quickly? thanks!

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Wonder makes a smart white bread that is only 50 cals a slice and its really good.

For lunchmeat sandwiches and things like burgers we started doing lettuce wraps too
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    I am in no way anti-carb, BUT I like cheese (alot), so I just skip the bread and either eat lunch meat and cheese plain or toss it on a salad. As for tortilla wraps, try putting them in the fridge to extend the shelf life!
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Are you refrigerating your wraps/tortilla's? I wouldn't say mine never go bad, but certainly not that soon.

I recently discovered Flatout flatbread wraps. You would have to double check the wheat thing as I know some are all wheat, but the light ones are only 90 calories. Add a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese as a spread for your wrap and you're only up to 125 calories.
  • baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    Options
    Nature's Own Lite Bread is 40 calories per slice! Sandwich Rounds are 100 calories and have NO sodium!
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Definately keep your english muffins and tortillas in the fridge. Then pop the tortilla in the microwave to warm it a bit.
  • Robin304
    Robin304 Posts: 64
    Options
    I freeze all my wraps and bread and take out only as I'm using it. I zap it in the microwave a few seconds and it's ready to go or toast it.
  • fivefatcats
    fivefatcats Posts: 368
    Options
    I like Flatout flatbread - sold at Walmart in the Deli area and they last forever - like scary forever - like a twinkie. I have some that have been in my fridge for months - still seem okay. I just forget they are there. They are like a big oval tortilla.

Healthy Life makes some low cal breads too.

I am also going to try Ezekiel bread - no flour just whole grains and beans - supposed to be very healthy/lots of protein but may lack in taste. I'm gonna give it a try and see if its worth the $$.

Anybody tried Ezekiel bread??
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the putting the wraps in the fridge. I do that for my husband and they last a good while.
    I've never been much on sandwiches, but the few times that I have and need to cut the calories, I skip the bread and just use lettuce leaves. You can roll them or hold like a pizza slice almost.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Healthy Life makes some low cal breads too.

I am also going to try Ezekiel bread - no flour just whole grains and beans - supposed to be very healthy/lots of protein but may lack in taste. I'm gonna give it a try and see if its worth the $$.

Anybody tried Ezekiel bread??

My boyfriend eats the Healthy life bread (40 cals a slice) and I eat Ezekiel bread (80 cals a slice).

I love Ezekiel bread! Especially the sesame. I think it is amazing. I keep it in the freezer and only defrost what I am about to eat.
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    I like the Ezekial bread. It is more filling than regular, and has a definite taste to it (tastes like...grains!). It is best toasted in my opinion.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I like the Ezekial bread. It is more filling than regular, and has a definite taste to it (tastes like...grains!). It is best toasted in my opinion.

I always eat it toasted. I like my bread a little crispy.
  • jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I actually use the thomas bagel thins for my sandwiches! 110 calories for the plain variety.
  • texann
    texann Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You don't mention whole grain breads so I am offering them as a suggestion for replacement. Also you can freeze tortillas! If you freeze them in individual portions (using sandwich bags perhaps) you can take out what you need and defrost quickly. The same goes with English muffins. Another thing my daughter and I use is lettuce as a wrap for lunch meat and chicken for a quick lunch. If you wash the lettuce, separate the leaves, dry them thoroughly and store them in green bags (you can get them at the grocery store for about 10 dollars for 10 bags) or some grocery stores use the green bags now for buying produce. I hope some of these suggestions help you and if I come across any more I will send them your way!
  • BrunetteWife
    BrunetteWife Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I found a white bread at Schnucks called 'Healthy Life' 70cal for 2slices!!!
  • navstar
    navstar Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Do you have Nimble bread in the USA? its only 48 calories a slice and you can get it in white, wholemeal or malted wholegrain, I also eat Crackerbread by Ryvita its only 19 cals a slice and 2 slices = 1 slice of bread its crispy so I eat it instead of toast, it tastes slightly corny.
  • jhanif
    jhanif Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I keep all my breads in the freezer and only take out the slices i need, that way they last as long as you need. You can always defrost them in the microwave for a few seconds if you don't live in a warm climate. Alternatively you could try WASA crackers, they are Rye based, not wheat and are low cal and tasty. Try spreading them with avocado and adding your lunch meat.
  • kitto1
    kitto1 Posts: 8
    Options
    I love Ezekiel bread. Try it, you'll like it.
  • losingnow
    losingnow Posts: 82
    Options
    Thanks for all your wonderful ideas!!! I am placing all my wraps and such in the freezer and it is working like a charm. i also found these tasty crackers that are really low in calories and have been eating them with a lunchmeat dip I make, also low cal. thanks for all your wonderful ideas!!!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Try the Ezekiel sourdough - you won't be disappointed! I hardly ever eat regular bread now, I eat that and the flat out wraps which are amazing!