Can someone please tell me why...

Options
I started a new exercise and healthy eating regime last week and I only lost 1lb - doesn't seem much reward for the effort I put in!

Starting with Sunday 7th April I did a step class, followed by spinning on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. I felt that four classes in my first week after having done no exercise for over two years was enough although I am working my way up to exercising 6 days a week with 1 rest day.

I allowed myself 1200 calories per day and sometimes ate back up to half of my exercise calories and was expecting a far greater loss that just 1lb in my first week! I weighed this morning ie ovr a week since I started this.

I currently weigh 170.5lbs and am 5'4" , my food diary is open.

Any comments or suggestions on where I might be going wrong would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    You aren't on the wrong track, you are just expecting too much form your first week.

You should keep doing what you are doing, but get off the scale for the next two weeks. I bet you will be pretty happy with what you see after letting your body adjust to the changes in diet/exercise.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    You lost 1 pound in a week and you're complaining? Why? Did you expect to lose more in a week?

Keep doing what you're doing and just add in some patience. The goal here is to ease into changes that you can maintain for life. By taking it slowly you not only allow yourself to adapt and form new habits, but you also allow your body to lose the fat without causing any lasting damage.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    You aren't on the wrong track, you are just expecting too much form your first week.

You should keep doing what you are doing, but get off the scale for the next two weeks. I bet you will be pretty happy with what you see after letting your body adjust to the changes in diet/exercise.

Yes, give your body some time to get things going. You haven't put on the weight in one week, so you wont lose it in 1 week, either. Give it a few more weeks, and as ihateroses said, get off the scale! :)
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Working out will make your muscles retain water as they repair themselves. You would have lost more weight without adding the exercise, but you will lose more fat from having added it. Take your pick :) And remember 1 pound a week will equal over 50 pound lost a year, thats you weighing 120 pounds in a year - Look at the long run!
  • JustMQ
    JustMQ Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My best advice to have patience! You lost a pound in a week, whooohooo!!! Don't get discouraged, keep going. If you consistently lose 1 pound a week for the next 10 weeks, guess what? You're 10 pound lighter! I know we all want the weight off right this second, but it didn't take a week to put it on, so why would it take a week to take it off?

Make sure you're weighing and measuring your food, and maybe up you're protein some? Also, maybe you need to eat a little more, especially since you've been so active. Have you looked into what you should be eating as far as your BMR and TDEE?
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Your body is readjusting to the new activity. Many times, when people start a new workout regiment (whether they're new to working out period, or it's quite different than what they did before, or much more intense) they actually GAIN. You LOST 1lb. You will keep losing, just keep going. You only gave it a week. Suddenly going balls to the wall isn't going to melt all the fat off in a week, you need to wait for your body to adjust. Keep exercising, keep eating right, and it WILL happen!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    1 pound in a week? Well done! Keep it up! :)

Healthy, sustainable weight loss is a long, slow process. Adjust your expectations and settle in for a long ride.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Google one pound of fat!!!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    First of all, you are being way to impatient. Second 1200 calories is not even close to BMR for a 170 pound Lady, in other words you are not eatting enough even with 1/2 your exercise calories. Please read through some of this.
    Here is good info:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943139-weight-loss-cheat-sheet-ipoarm

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0

use this to figure your numbers if you want detail
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    I'm with RailroaderTon on not eating enough.

Also, be sure to drink plenty of water. If you're not used to exercise then your muscles could be swollen and/or retaining water to repair themselves which can cause the scale to read a higher number.

1lb is still good though. Its easy to get impatient and want it all gone ASAP but slow and steady wins the race when it comes to weight loss. It didn't all come on overnight, it's not going to go away overnight. Stay away from the scales for a while and pay attention to how your clothes fit and/or take measurements.
  • fitnessbuilding
    Options
    Losing weight is not an easy task. Your workouts are good for weight loss. Apart from weight loss, I had green tea twice a day. Green tea is a best drink for losing weight easily and it makes us to lead a healthy life.
  • SarahLou1111
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, I will check out some of those links to get a better idea of how many calories I should be taking in...possibly not eating enough!

And I will have some patience too :-)
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if you got to be 170 lbs in one week as well.
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if you got to be 170 lbs in one week as well.

lol :)