Body Fat % issues

Options
Apparently I am 25.4% body fat..... That's a 1/4 of my entire body is fat. Really??

collage_0-1_zpsec5c24e3.jpg

Apparently it's because I have scales that measure body fat through your feet and most women carry the majority of their fat on their bums and thighs.

Anyone know where can I get my body fat measured accurately?

Replies

• mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    You look like you should be a little lower, like 21%? or something?

Edit: I'm no expert though! Haha
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    25% is in the normal range for women.... but scales arent very accurate for measuring bf anyway.
  • Graham_077
    Graham_077 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Have a look here. I would say around 20% judging by your pics.

http://www.vitalitypower4u.com/nutrition-and-dieting/body-fat-percentage-pictures-of-men-women/
  • KayteeB07
    KayteeB07 Posts: 341
    Options
    Sorry to butt in everyone but what is the most accurate way to measure body fat?
  • ThePolishExperiment
    ThePolishExperiment Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would get some accumeasure body fat calipers, thats what I use, and i'm 20% body fat, and I know I am because I still have a way to go, that will give you the most accurate affordable reading. You can get them off of amazon.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Have a search for BodPod scans in your area - I used one in London.

By the way I use an Omron bodyfat set of scales that uses hand & feet sensors - the reading was only 1% different compared to my BodPod scan.

Alternatives are body fat callipers - best used by someone else rather than try and contort yourself.
    "Gold standard" is probably DEXA scan or immersion, BodPods are reputed to be very close in accuracy to these.

In reality the only totally accurate way is dissection but the side-effect is a bit extreme. :laugh:
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    I would get some accumeasure body fat calipers, thats what I use, and i'm 20% body fat, and I know I am because I still have a way to go, that will give you the most accurate affordable reading. You can get them off of amazon.

I use these too.
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I just use my scales for logging trends rather than taking it's reading as gospel.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    25% is a normal BF% for a woman.We need more than men. If you are worried about it you could try a lifting regime.
  • ZozoMonster
    ZozoMonster Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I may have to invest in some of those caliper things then

How much do the BodPods cost to use??
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I may have to invest in some of those caliper things then

How much do the BodPods cost to use??

It cost me £40 - this is what you get apart from the body fat %....

"The analysis takes about 20 minutes altogether and provides information about percentage body fat and lean mass, also included is calculation of Total Daily Energy Expenditure and Basal Metabolic Rate. The BodPod assesses body composition by air displacement plethysmography technology. "

I went to the BCOM location in Finchley Road - other sites can be found on http://www.bodpodlondon.com/
  • ZozoMonster
    ZozoMonster Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    It cost me £40 - this is what you get apart from the body fat %....

"The analysis takes about 20 minutes altogether and provides information about percentage body fat and lean mass, also included is calculation of Total Daily Energy Expenditure and Basal Metabolic Rate. The BodPod assesses body composition by air displacement plethysmography technology. "

I went to the BCOM location in Finchley Road - other sites can be found on http://www.bodpodlondon.com/

Thank you!! I will check it out :)