In between couch to 5k days

Options
Hello! I'm about to start a couch to 5k program and was just wondering if anyone else has done this. If so, what did you do between days? Did you do cardio? Weight training? Any suggestions?

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I do strength training on non-running days. Currently doing P90X and will probably move on to P90X2 or something similar.
  • hyzlet
    hyzlet Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 2 week 2, and I do cardio and strength on off-days, but I do a warmup on the elliptical for about 20 minutes before I run, too. I've found it helps me feel better during.
  • Mattspur1
    Mattspur1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I go swimming in the off days. Helps build up my cardio but doesn't put any stress on my joints so gives me a nice rest between running sessions.
  • Zaria_Athena
    Zaria_Athena Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body.

You can do a strength program.
    Building up a strong core will help you as a runner.

Good cross-training activites: yoga, swimming, biking, walking

Good luck.
  • cherylzcv8
    cherylzcv8 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Im on week 3 and doing it on Mondays ,Wednesdays and Fridays, but am doing 30 day shred (level 2) on Tuesdays and Thursdays
  • andreaarntson
    Options
    I like this idea. Right now I'm feeling like week one isn't really giving me much. I like the calorie burn and I like to feel like I've accomplished something. 30 minutes (with a 5 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down) isn't making me feel like I've accomplished much at all.
  • andreaarntson
    Options
    I would love to do this. LOVE TO. I was a competitive swimmer all through High School and miss it terribly. The problem is finding a place and time. Going during work isn't really an option. The closest pool is a 15 minute drive away and I get an hour for lunch. There would have to be some hair drying and re-application of make up if I did this. Could always go at the end of the day, but again...lap swims here are usually from 1-3 :(
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I was silly and was doing P90X along side. Yeah that quickly stopped, and I shifted to strength training and took up New Rules of Lifting. I have been doing that ever since and ran my first 5K last month.
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend adding in some strength training to your work outs
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I continued to drag myself over to the gym to put in time on the elliptical for a while as C25K progressed, generally on the same days, but only as needed to maintain roughly the same weekly cardio burn as before. I was interested in replacing what had been my primary cardio exercise, not adding to it, so I tapered off and eventually quit the elliptical as my running endurance level improved. My general schedule of 3 days of cardio alternating with 3 days of strength training and a day of rest didn't change during that period.