Graveyard shift

Options
Hey folks, I've really fallen off the wagon over the last several months. Have had some health stuff going on & been switched to the graveyard shift. I work from 8 pm to 8 am 4 nights, then have 4 nights off. Just wondering if anyone else is working overnights & has any tips to help me.

Pretty much, I stay up in the morning until about 10:30-11 am, then sleep until 6:45 pm. I get up and eat dinner (breakfast for me), then eat again at 2 am (this is the 1/2 way point of my shift and when we all have our "lunch time"). I usually eat again when I get home in the morning, something light, like cereal or a bagel.

I just feel like I am eating right before bed and then packing on the pounds. However, if I don't eat SOMETHING, then I wake up through out the day super hungry. I have been eating pretty healthy, but I haven't had the energy to get back to working out. My body is totally drained after 4 twelve hour nights.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• blisser99
    blisser99 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am on the same schedule. I work 8pm-8am four nights a week with three nights off. I tell myself that I will exercise before work... But with three kids and their activities, it never happens. So I just exercise my three days off. As far as food. When I wake up for work, I have dinner. Then a snack at midnight. Lunch at 2am and a snack at 5am. Then when I get home I have cereal for my dinner. Then I go to bed. I track midnight to midnight. So my first meal and snack will be on one days log, then my overnight lunch, snack, and last meal (breakfast are on the next days log. My reason for going this is because I usually stay up over 24hrs my Monday and my Friday. Feel free to add me and look into my diary. Good luck in your weight loss journey.
  • joeysrib
    joeysrib Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Working nights is hard on a body. You don't sleep well, and your blood sugar is off, so is your blood pressure. At first your body is in survival mode, making it nearly impossible to lose any weight. Just give yourself time, your body will adjust, quicker if you keep the same schedule, even on your days off.

Good luck! :-)
  • mjclev88
    mjclev88 Posts: 2
    Options
    I work 845pm-515am 5 days a week and off Sat/Sun nights. I totally feel your pain. My prblem has been not eating and I keep falling off too becuase I am always exhausted. I average 4/5 hours of sleep a day. I just started meal prepping yesterday and it worked last night, so lets hope it keeps up. My BF is off on Wed/ Thur so I have been staying awake after taking our kids to school and we have been going hiking on those days.. Then I go home and pass out. Lol. Its a work in progress and I am still trying to figure it out also. The best I have been doing it just making sure I buy and eat all fresh, healthy food! We are in it together girl! I know its hard to give up precious sleep to get active. Good luck!!
  • mjclev88
    mjclev88 Posts: 2
    Options
    Working nights is hard on a body. You don't sleep well, and your blood sugar is off, so is your blood pressure. At first your body is in survival mode, making it nearly impossible to lose any weight. Just give yourself time, your body will adjust, quicker if you keep the same schedule, even on your days off.

Good luck! :-)

This never worked for me. :( My nights off are the only ones I have that my BF and I can actually sleep together.
  • Dr_Waffles
    Dr_Waffles Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Try this on for size. Sun thru Wed, 11pm-7am, then switch to day time for the weekend when my son comes over. Sundays are the worst, I'm up from 8-9am til 8am Monday, I'm lucky if i get a couple hours sleep before going in to work. I usually sleep 6-7 hours a day and am up 8 hours before I go into work. Insomnia plays a big part in my lack of sleep. I can easily fit in a workout, but my eating schedule is screwed up. I'm hoping this change in diet and getting regular exercise will help me get some quality sleep.
  • breeezy1030
    breeezy1030 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I just started working a graveyard shift, and according to the posts I have read it sounds like this type of schedule is hindering weight loss efforts. But if you just totally reverse your schedule, whats the big deal? Is there anyone who is working graves that is not having a problem losing weight? I plan on just sleeping a good amount of hours in the day, getting in some exercise at least 5 days a week and staying under my calorie goal. The same way my body is used to a traditional schedule, cant it get used to this new one? As long as I'm not overeating and stopping exercising, and sleeping, shouldn't everything be okay? Any feedback would be helpful, I'm trying not to be discouraged. So far so good with my weight loss and I would hate for things to get ugly just as they are starting to look up!