I started exercising and now I am not losing

Options
I know this is probably normal, but I am feeling a little bit frustrated right now. I started exercising again last week since joining MFP mid March and since then my scale will not budge at all. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there anything I can do to change this?

Replies

• gregmatusky
    Options
    Give it time. One week of exercise isn't going to impact weight loss to any degree. Also, remember, exercise will often help you lose inches by replacing fat with muscle. But muscle is more dense and weight more.
  • KB2Fitness
    KB2Fitness Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any sort of resistance training that could build muscle? Have you upped your fluid intake since starting? Most people that exercise as part of their weight loss program can expect to lose about 1-2 pounds per week, but its very easy to lose a pound or so of fat and put on a pound of muscle, especially for someone new to resistance training.
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I exercise like clockwork 6 days a week and i haven't lost a pound in 3 weeks. I'd measure more by inches them pound
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    It's most likely water retention, give it time it will come off...promise! Keep up the good work.
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I say this to alot of people who get disheartened by the scales when working out.

DITCH THE SCALES!!! measure yourself and find out your body fat percentage. You want to lose fat not weight as weight is a mixture of fat, bone and muscle.
    You may find that you're not losing weight as you're actually gaining muscle as you lose fat.

I'm sure my weight is totally different to someone who doesn't have as much lean mass as me but everyone is different so it's worth to get it checked out.

If you want to use the scales do it once a fortnight at the same time, your weight can fluctuate by anything up to 6+ lbs a day depending on your sodium intake, water retention through training/ muscle repair.

Just remember this is a marathon not a sprint your weight will go up and down and sometimes stabilise a bit don't give in and keep up the hard work :)
  • whatsxoccuringx
    whatsxoccuringx Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Omg i was going to post the same. I am on week 4 of turbo jam and havent lost a thing and im dieting too with mfp (dietchef), and i didnt measure myself before starting!!! damn thing couldnt find it. So i wouldnt know if losing inches, but i feel more better doing some exercises as i wasnt doing any before this. Think i will carry on another 4 weeks but advance level and then see.

I really hope you will see some difference soon :D
  • mickeyullrich
    mickeyullrich Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the replies...I really appreciate it! I have started doing the 30 day shred and doing the treadmill as well, plus drinking ridiculous amounts of water (for me anyway :smile: ). I think I know in my heart that this is normal, but I get so nervous that this weight will never come off and I start to panic sometimes (especially if the scale hasn't moved). I will try to take a big dose of patience and keep on exercising!

Thank you!
    Christine
  • freckletone
    Options
    Hey hun i was doing 30 day shred and tredmill. pounds didn't budge. but i lost 3 inches off waist and 3 off hips :D
    i say start measuring asap that's how you will see the difference :)
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    yep get the tape measure out n ditch the scales hunni x
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I just posted the same thing on my wall! I have been gaining inches and the scale hasn't budged in weeks. I can see more muscle but it would be nice to lose inches and weight too!
  • mickeyullrich
    mickeyullrich Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I am going to try and stop weighing myself everyday and look at the long term picture because it is amazing how much it affects my mood when the scale doesn't move....I think it's leftover weight obsession from growing up constantly "dieting"...it's hard to shake that attachment to the scale. Out comes the measuring tape :smile: ....thanks for the support!

Christine
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    It's most likely water retention, give it time it will come off...promise! Keep up the good work.

I agree.

It's just one week. Your body is adjusting to more exercise and holding water.
    You are not building muscle in one week's time, I doubt.

Be patient.
    Take measurements.

:-)
  • Rgl2112
    Rgl2112 Posts: 4
    Options
    Just to add another thought, now that you are working out, are you eating back those calories? If you are doing the standard MFP routine, then you should be eating back a majority of your regular workout calories. If you don't, you can get into an underfed state, and you won't see any weight come off and you'll start feeling bad physically in a few weeks. Make sure you aren't underfeeding! I know it's a wierd concept, but it's a proven physiological fact. Eat correctly to burn correctly!

Everyone above here also is correct, just wanted to make sure you are eating enough now that you are burning more calories.