Someone please explain duration of rest between sets

Options
RHHMom
RHHMom Posts: 34 Member
I have been following the workouts in New Rules of Lifting for Women. I'm on Stage 3. The rest time between each set is supposed to be 105 sec. Why so long? Yesterday's workout took me 65 minutes; I'm a busy homeschool mom who has to squeeze in workouts when I can. (I will find the time if i really need to, but I nearly didn't get dinner ready in time to get us to hockey practice last night.)

Will it ruin my efforts if I cut back the rests to 60 sec?

I couldn't find a good discussion of this in the book. Please, someone who knows their stuff, help me understand.
Thanks!

Replies

• SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    That seems a long time to me. My gym has a daily circuit on the white board, and the rest breaks are always 20-30s. My plan, set out by one of the PTs gives me 30s on the rowers and 15-30s on the weights.

I'd be interested to know of the reasoning behind such a long rest break
  • RHHMom
    Options
    Wow! At 20-30 sec rest, how are you able to catch your breath before you start the next set?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The heavier you lift, the more recovery time is needing between sets. You need to rebuild the short-acting fuel used during the lifts. Recovery time will vary according to the goals of your program. Shortening the recommended recovery time is not a good idea if you are following a specific plan.

You can try arranging the exercises so that you are alternating push/pull or upper and lower body. That way you can "recover" one set of muscles while working on another.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    The heavier you lift, the more recovery time is needing between sets.
    This^^
    Shortening the recommended recovery time is not a good idea if you are following a specific plan.
    And This ^^
  • RHHMom
    Options
    Alright. I'll follow instructions...maybe I can prep parts of dinner during rests. Lol!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    That seems a long time to me. My gym has a daily circuit on the white board, and the rest breaks are always 20-30s. My plan, set out by one of the PTs gives me 30s on the rowers and 15-30s on the weights.

I'd be interested to know of the reasoning behind such a long rest break

This is the exact opposite of the OP is doing though. You are doing fast paced circuits with light weights or machines; OP is following a heavy lifting program where often more time and adequate rest is needed to push out the reps.

OP It was designed that way in order for your muscles to recover and continually lift heavier and progress. I personally don't feel that's too much time inbetween sets. Are you specifically watching your time or estimating it?
  • RHHMom
    Options
    I'm watching a stop watch.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    You can try arranging the exercises so that you are alternating push/pull or upper and lower body. That way you can "recover" one set of muscles while working on another.

This is how I get through it faster when I need to.
  • RHHMom
    Options
    The heavier you lift, the more recovery time is needing between sets.

I guess this means I should be working even harder. Point taken. :)
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I'm watching a stop watch.

Cool. Had to ask bc some estimate and actually rest longer than they think.
  • lolololiver
    Options
    Finding some quick easy chores to do while resting at home is a good way to fill rest times, as long as you make sure to stick to the actual time using your stopwatch.
  • RHHMom
    Options
    Cool. Had to ask bc some estimate and actually rest longer than they think.

Before motherhood I was an analytical chemist ... I take numbers seriously. :)
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    The heavier you lift, the more recovery time is needing between sets. You need to rebuild the short-acting fuel used during the lifts. Recovery time will vary according to the goals of your program. Shortening the recommended recovery time is not a good idea if you are following a specific plan.

Azdak is always on point!!!! My first friend on MFP, CHeers buddy!!