I'm stuck at my current weight!! Help!!

Options
I've changed my calorie intake to 1590... I exercise 3-4 times weekly (cardio) and 4 times for strength.. I don't drink anything but water.. And I've increased my fiber intake.. This is my 4th attempt at losing weight and I must say this time it feels right.. But I always ht this plateau and it discourages me after a while and I stop!!! Any ideas?? Cause im realllly lost on how to break the plateau...

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Patience.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to know since I'm in the same boat as you are. But I have NSV in that I can see some muscle increase, just not in inches/measurements or scale.
  • k2mgurl
    k2mgurl Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I have lost 20 pounds. I exercise 4-5 times a week. I eat 1400-1500 calories on the days I work out and 1200 on my non-work out days. I have lost inches (2 dress sizes) but even the inches have coming off. I have been plateaued since Jan and getting discouraged.
  • healthy_jessx3
    healthy_jessx3 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Im in the same position. DONT WORRY, its a slow process, as everyone tells me. I lost 10 pounds and have been stuck at the same weight since mid-end february. You wil get there dont worry. Just be patient. Trust me i know its hard because im going through it right now and every week i get on the scale it says the same exact as last week. Ive learned to start taking measurments, which i will do every two weeks. I have not been focusing to much on the scale anymore even though we all know that the number on the scale can really depress us if it doesnt move even though you put in all the hard work. I have also been fluctuating with my calorie intake as well, trying to eat more on days i work out vs. days that i dont. I have a goal to lose 15-20 pounds by August for my last vacation of the summer, at this rate i feel like i wont get there but it just takes hard work & determination. Have you ever thought about HIIT? (high intensity interval training). Do it about 2-3 times a week on a treadmill, eliptical, stationary bike etc. Its a way to get your heart going and you can even burn off more calories after doing it. I suggest read up on it & give it a try :) hope i helped!
  • vinnybarone123
    vinnybarone123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have same problem I'm 46 at gym 5 days a week for a min of 1hr time is splt cardio and weights getting stronger can run 3-4 miles but can seam to drop a 1lbs fustrated
    Keep going you should keep going to hoping one day poof ill see a change good luck
  • Adele
    Adele Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more :) healthy foods of course.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    you're probably all not eating enough.

Logically, if you think about it, if everyone eating at a 1200net could lose weight, wouldn't they just wither away to nothing a die? NO! There are plenty of people who survive on 1200 for many years. This is because your body adjusts to what you eat and the metabolsim slowly adjusts.

You need to bump up your calories and tell your body 'hey! we have plentiful resources so you don't need to hold on to fat ok?' and be patient. Yes you will put on some weight at first (in small amounts), but then you will begin to lose again. This is a massive issue on MFP and I'm surprised you haven't read about it before...

In my case I have hypothyroid which makes it much harder to lose weight. I lost about 7lb on 1200net for several months but felt nothing was working and it seemed wrong for my body. I am now 1400net - this means I EAT BACK EXERCISE CALORIES AS WELL, so some days I eat close to 2000. This keeps my body guessing. I felt I have gained about 2lb but and beginning to feel it shift to losing again after about 2-3 weeks and an increase in exercise. (but I'm sick now so will have to rest for a few days unfortunately.)

Please search 'in place of a road map' in the threads, this will help you out a lot as well!

Jess

edit: this is of course all from healthy sources except for my vice, black chocolate. I look to increase to net 1600 in the near future as well but I don't think I'll be able to eat back all exercise calories as it's very difficult for me to eat over 2000cals unless it's crappy food (which buggers up my energy levels and makes me feel horrible, plus is bad for my health of course!)
  • meltingmama1965
    Options
    your body goes into a mode where you stay at that weight for awhile to get use of it everyone gets a stall like that. when your body gets use of it then you will lose some more. you just have to be paitent with yourself.
  • Hi ya,

I put a thread up about this yesterday too.

A fellow member advised reading these:

See article: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

and maybe: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/777-why-is-starvation-mode-so-bad

both very good reads and will make things a little clearer.

I have been advised to up my calorie intake from 1200 to 1770! And today is a huge struggle for me as I just dont have an appitite and I dont like force feeding myself.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I am sure I am eating enough at 1600 according to the Scooby calc. This is about -15% of my TDEE. So I am not sure if upping my calories will help.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Maybe shake up your workout and do something a bit different. I think it helps if you're trying to lose weight and not maintain, to do different exercise routines. It seems like when your body gets use to the same routine you stall.
  • jadams1650
    jadams1650 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Patience.
    ^^^THIS^^^
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I have lost 20 pounds. I exercise 4-5 times a week. I eat 1400-1500 calories on the days I work out and 1200 on my non-work out days. I have lost inches (2 dress sizes) but even the inches have coming off. I have been plateaued since Jan and getting discouraged.

probably not eating enough...I heavy lift 90 minutes three times a week and eat 1850 a day and still lose. Feed your body to support all that activity.
  • jzammetti
    Options
    OP, I think you are undereating as well. Please calculcate your TDEE and eat at a reasonable deficit from there. The weight will start to come off again when you give your body enough fuel to function properly.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I am sure I am eating enough at 1600 according to the Scooby calc. This is about -15% of my TDEE. So I am not sure if upping my calories will help.

Make sure you are measuring/logging everything, you may be eating more than you think. Also, with the TDEE -% method you do not eat back exercise calories as well.
  • jzammetti
    Options

Make sure you are measuring/logging everything, you may be eating more than you think. Also, with the TDEE -% method you do not eat back exercise calories as well.

You could also be using hte wrong activity modifier when you calculate your TDEE. My 1850 is a 12% cut from TDEE. Did you at least use the moderately active modifier?
  • countrysweetheart17
    Options
    I'm in a weightloss competition at the YMCA here in my town.. It's just frustrating to work do hard to my lose anything. I feel like I'm letting my team down!! I have about 85 lbs to go before the ideal weight for my height.. So it's not like I'm close to a healthy weight....:( I'm tryin to be patient!!!! Lol key word trying!!! Glad I'm not the only one stuck!! Wish we weren't! <3 goodluck everyone!! .
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options

You could also be using hte wrong activity modifier when you calculate your TDEE. My 1850 is a 12% cut from TDEE. Did you at least use the moderately active modifier?

THIS!! I was totally under estimating my activity level which meant that I still wasn't eating enough.