I GAINED 9 pounds!! What!? (pics)

Options
xiamjackie
xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
Okay, so I'm really posting this 50% for my benefit, 50% for your benefit. And when I say "your" I mean anyone who is scared of the scale moving even .5 pounds. That used to be me too.

I have really struggled with my weight over the years. I've never been obese, just extremely extremely self conscious. I've been through therapy for eating disorders for most of my adult life, and I finally have that under control. I finally got to the point where I can eat 1800 calories in a day and not cry at night because I feel so guilty. While I still have my moments of extreme self-consciousness, I am getting better day by day.

The pictures below are 9 pounds different. The one on the right is me at 118 pounds in December. The one on the left is me this morning, at 127 pounds. This past weekend when I weighed myself and saw 127 I had a mental breakdown. I have been working so hard in the gym and I couldn't see how all my hard work wasn't making a difference. While I do not believe in any way that I gained 9 pounds of muscle, putting these pictures beside each other helps me to see that the scale does not dictate how good I will look. I like the way my stomach looks. I don't yet have abs, but I can see something trying to peek through haha. I have a LONG way to go until I will be completely happy with how my whole body looks, but I won't be paying as much attention to the scale.

I am still trying to eat healthy, do cardio (zumba, running, 30DS), and follow the weight training schedule that I'm on (Jamie Eason's 12 Week Live Fit Trainer). I love doing all of these things and I hate feeling discouraged by a number on the scale.

Anyway, thanks for reading. I just thought that if it helped me to see a 9 pound difference and still feel okay, that maybe it'll help someone who gained a pound or two and also is freaking out.

BTW I'm only 5'0.

1ext90.png

Replies

• sclaibo
    sclaibo Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic!!! Remember when you are feeling self-conscious that others would KILL to have your body!
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! You look AMAZING in both.

I stopped weighing in regularly this year, and it has done a world of good to just continue on with healthy habits and judge my progress not just on pictures and measurements but also on how great I feel about myself.

Well done, keeping things in perspective. The scale is not an important tool in deciding whether or not you LOOK good.
  • jess6741
    jess6741 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm super jealous. You look amazing! Thanks for the reminder that the scale isn't everything.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys :blushing:

I don't weigh myself as regularly as I used to. Maybe once a week here or there if I feel like it. I just know that when I see that number it could make or break me for a whole day sometimes, and I don't want to ruin the feeling of a great workout by stepping on the scale.
  • ThisIsCharity
    ThisIsCharity Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Gosh! I'm 5'1 and 119 and I wish my 119 looked like yours!
  • Surisaddai
    Surisaddai Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me too. I have 11 pounds left to my goal and the scale messes with me by going up a few pounds instead of down. I have noticed more of a difference in my clothes so I am staying positive :D Keep going, you look great!
  • Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Definitely needed this reminder. Thanks for posting!
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Well any weight you've put on is most definitely not fat. You look great!
  • 1990sophia1990
    1990sophia1990 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    This is so helpful I love this post :) Has made me feel so much better! You look amazing in both pictures :)
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    You look great! Keep up the fantastic work!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Careful. Lifting will make you bulky.

:devil:

Good work! Bin the scales and use the mirror!
  • smallerWORD
    Options
    are you weighing yourself at the same time on the same scale? i know that makes a difference. Not a 9lbs difference, but like someone else said its probably muscle. You look GREAT! I am almost mad that you are posting this. lol! You are taunting us. lol! Thats how great you look! Keep up the good work!
  • Ranna51
    Ranna51 Posts: 24
    Options
    I think you look perfect, but I find it concerning that you seem to be wrapped up in looking 'good enough' or 'better', as in your comment that it will be a long time before your body looks exactly the way you want it to, or something to that effect. I am not being judgmental, but you look about the same age as my daughter. It breaks my heart when I see young women missing out on the pleasure of life because they think their bodies aren't good enough - and I'm not saying this is you - just hoping that isn't the case. Do you enjoy your day and the activities that go with it, or is your time all about trying for a perfection that no one can ever achieve? You deserve to have fun, enjoy the day, enjoy life, and challenge yourself mentally as well as physically - so remember, how you look/feel is very important, but how happy you are is the most important - and you will never get to ultimate satisfaction if the only driver, or the main driver, is how you look. Again, I am not being judgmental at all, just concerned.:smile:
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    You girly....ROCK!!!!!
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    that is awesome!!
  • kmorales_4
    kmorales_4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You look amazing.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!! This is why I DON'T weigh myself!!!! No point in getting yourself upset over something that doesn't even matter!
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    p.s your tummy is look amazing!!! keep it up <3
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    On a recent weigh I discovered I had gained 3 lbs and started to have a mental breakdown as well until I looked at my body. My clothes still fit like they did when I was 3 lbs less but my calves and hamstrings are bigger and my legs look fan freaking tastic.

I like muscle bound Lesa more than super skinny Lesa. I actually started eating back the calories that my fitbit adjusted instead of just the logged exercise calories. Turns out, I was burning way more than what I thought. I look great and I FEEL MAVALOUS DAHLING!

Congrats on overcoming the mental aspect of the scale. You look incredibly healthy!
  • LillyBoots
    LillyBoots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Firstly I like to say you look fantastic in both pictures.

Body confidence is a hard one to tackle. Now that I'm losing weight I feel much better about myself but in the past I've been 20KGS lighter and racked with self loathing over my weight, it's never really about the number but how you feel about yourself.

So stay possitive!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!