Artificial sweetners or real sugar (Sugar in the Raw)?

Options
Hi,
I want to get opinons. I have cut out sugar completely but for my coffee only ( 2 cups a day) each with 2 teaspoons of sugar, is it healthier to use the real thing?

Thanks,

Replies

• drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Real sugar! If not, don't use anything processed, use Stevia.
  • blibby33
    blibby33 Posts: 53
    Options
    In my opinion yes it is because you are not getting all those chemicals from it being produced instead of being natural. Plus, take for instance aspartame can cause gas, bloating and even diarrhea. I just treat myself with a little bit of sugar in moderation and not all the time.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I use this in my coffee - it has a hint of a "molasses" flavor to it, but I really like it!
    Domino-Demerara-Sugar.jpg
  • projectbam
    Options
    Check out XYLITOL 100% natural alternative to sugar. Found in fruits, vegetables and even our own bodies xylitol has several health benefits over sugar and artificial sweeteners, and tastes even better. AND is apparently GOOD for your teeth !!!!!
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    i use splenda to save calories. however, if you can fit it in to your calorie budget, i'd always defer to the real thing.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Splenda
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I am not sure. I have used splenda for a few years but have been reading how it never affects the satiety factor the way sugar does. I am diabetic but have made the decision to use as close to natural as I can get. I bought some agave syrup and stevia and I have honey. I have just decided to drop all processed items one by one. The first was margarine for butter.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    sugar is far better than artificial sweeteners. Artificial sweeteners (chemical ones) are known to cause joint pains, stomach aches and some people have incredibly adverse reactions to them. Nothing ever comes good of putting artificial things in your body! I would suggest using fresh honey from a farmer's market if anything. In fact, why not try having coffee without sugar? It tastes about 1000 times better once you get used to it. I personally never have sugar with mine, and when I ever have it tastes like horrible sugary water to me - even though I have a vicious sweet tooth.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I couldn't stand artificial sweeteners - so tried black coffee no sugar and now I love it - worth a shot? I used to have milk & 2 sugars each cup.
  • PhilipMSPT
    PhilipMSPT Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Controlled portions of natural sugar is better than any portion of chemical poison.

I use Stevia for coffee, which has a mild licorice flavor. Otherwise, sugar is a friend that I'll burn off with exercise...
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Real anything is better than processed. I found that my system does not tolerate anything with artificial sweetners or fat replacements. Use the real thing just less of it.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    The only thing I sweeten is my morning coffee, and I use real sugar. A couple of teaspoons of the real stuff will not do irreparable harm to my weight loss efforts.
  • spirit2nd
    spirit2nd Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    BTW there is nothing "natural" about sugar...it is very processed.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Real sugar FTW. I dont understand why ppl think sugar is bad. Are you going to eat a cup of it a day? lol
  • flynchef
    flynchef Posts: 7
    Options
    STEVIA IN THE RAW:smile:
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Unless you go organic, you're not going to find much sugar that hasn't been processed. Stevia is probably your best bet... but sugar is sugar.

Cane sugar versus corn syrup is going to be carbs without nutrition whatever way you look at it.
  • LillyBoots
    LillyBoots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    SUGAR
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I like brown sugar, no artificial sweeteners do the same for me as honey, maple syrup and brown sugar. I class stevia as artificial as it is powdered just like the artificial brands.

Carbs are healthy. Too much sugar, or too much of anything is unhealthy. It's all about balance.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    To everyone saying that our bodies aren't meant to eat artificial sweeteners, remember that our bodies are also not meant to take medication (like taking life saving antibiotics when septic, insulin injections for diabetics, chemo for cancer patients) or have surgery to correct heart problems, or to replace damaged/failing organs, etc. 

I'm sticking with my awesome artificial stuff. Scientists are smart and I've never gotten sick from eating processed/artificially made food. The earth produces tons of different toxic plants. That being said, I still eat some of the non toxic foods created by the earth. I just also eat artificial sweeteners, preservatives, etc. 

There is no benefit to cutting out processed foods. IIFYM then eat it.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I use granulated Splenda or Splenda-sweetened sugar-free syrups in my coffee, with no negative side effects.