Gaining Weight

morcal36
morcal36 Posts: 34 Member
Hi All, I have just had a conversation with someone who has not long started with MFP. She is very disappointed today as when she weighed this morning, she had gained 2lb. She is eating 1500 cals per day, weighs 9st 12 and is approx 5" 4 in height.

She has been logging and eating just under her total cals on most days, also most of her food has been healthy.

Can anyone shed any light as to why she may have had a gain.

Thanks xx :)

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Water weight. Daily fluctuations are normal. Weight loss isn't linear.
  • morcal36
    She has not weighed since this time last week, could it still be done to water weight??
  • morcal36
    Down**
  • If she's working out, it could be muscle mass being added faster than fat is lost. Muscle weighs more than fat. As someone else noted, nothing about weight loss is linear...
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Human bodies can vary up to 5 or 6 pounds in 1 day from water weight or just regular functioning - for various reasons, including muscle soreness, or just from a natural body's rythym. I used to weight 4 times a day to see hwo much my body varied naturally and it averages about 6 pounds per day. Now I know not to panic unless the number goes beyond that.

how active is your friend? 1500 seems low to me - even at sedentary I was eating 1650 to be at a 20% deficit. I am 5'2" and 42 years old (female). Maybe give us more stats?
  • babyluu80
    babyluu80 Posts: 58 Member
    I would say that it could be mainly water weight. Does she weigh herself at the same time everyday? If not that could be why as well. There are many different factors that go into your weight. I know your weight will fluctuate 2-5 lbs throughout the day and it can be affected by eating later the night before or eating too much salt. If she's working out and doing strength training, it could be some muscle gain. Or a combination of all these things.

I suggest that your friend look back at her food diary and see how much salt she has been eating, think about late she ate the night before, etc. But overall, please do not be discourage by the scale because it is not the only way to tell that you're doing a good job. Drink plenty of water to flush out the salt in your system, eat more fiber so you can empty out the waste in your body, eat whole grains and less processed foods, get up and moving. =)

Good luck to your friend on her journey and way to go, joining MFP and tracking your calories is a major step in improving your health. Feel free to have her send me a friend request or email me with any questions, I'll be happy to help answer any questions and encourage her!
  • savlov30
    savlov30 Posts: 233 Member
    I have gained 5lbs since doing Insanity. I am not going to worry about it. I know I am losing inches. Muscle weighs more than fat. Have her measure herself. She may not be eating enough or correctly. It does not matter if you are under your calories.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Hi All, I have just had a conversation with someone who has not long started with MFP. She is very disappointed today as when she weighed this morning, she had gained 2lb. She is eating 1500 cals per day, weighs 9st 12 and is approx 5" 4 in height.

She has been logging and eating just under her total cals on most days, also most of her food has been healthy.

Can anyone shed any light as to why she may have had a gain.

Thanks xx :)

Thats a pretty healthy and regular weight for that height, what is her goal? Weight fluctuates, could be water. I would tell her not to worry, keep eating, keep moving.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    If she's working out, it could be muscle mass being added faster than fat is lost. Muscle weighs more than fat. As someone else noted, nothing about weight loss is linear...
    To gain more than a pound or two of muscle a month you either need to be a total genetic freak or on gear.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    I posted this earlier today. This is a 9 pound difference in gain.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/960563-i-gained-9-pounds-what-pics

Tell her not to worry about 2 pounds.
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Yea I tend to gain 1-3 lbs after a tough workout, because my muscles are retaining water. Tell her not to worry, its temporary.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    If she's working out, it could be muscle mass being added faster than fat is lost. Muscle weighs more than fat. As someone else noted, nothing about weight loss is linear...

Sorry but false. Muscle is incredibly hard to build and takes time (and more calories).

OP, I would imagine either she is not counting her calories right and eating more than she thinks or it's just due to water rentention.