Advice Please...Personal Trainers and Osteo Prof Welcome

Options
My mother is virtually crippled by arthritis as the direct result of working as a nurse for 25 years in the days before hoists and slip sheets. The repetitive lifting and carrying of patients has taken a detrimental toll on her body.

My fitness journey began 2 years ago, I am investing in my body and my old age, I want to be healthy for my [adult] children and though I am fit and healthy right now I am so worried about tomorrow.

I workout for 5 consecutive days every week for 30 – 40 minutes either cardio, HIIT or weight/strength training. Within every workout I am lifting 6 lb weights. I also like to cycle.

I consume my TDEE – 20%, but often go over.

Please offer your opinion, am I safeguarding my old age or wearing down my joints?

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    My mom too has arthritis, and I believe some forms of arthritis are genetic.

That being said, 6 pounds weights are nothing.. your children weigh more then that. So I hardly doubt you are wearing down your joints doing that.

Cycling, if you are doing it improperly may cause some wear and tear on the joints but again, not enough to cause arthitis.

Arthritis is not caused by our work or exercise, although those may be contributing factors. It really is a genetic based disorder, and depending on your genes, it may or may not happen.
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Thanks dad106
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Options
    Bumping...anyone else? Opinions appreciated.
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Options
    Bump
  • ehopkin
    ehopkin Posts: 2
    Options
    To start, I am a physical therapist. It sounds like you are doing everything right. Lifting weights and virtually anything weight bearing will help. Like dad said, watch your mechanics with cycling. The wrong mechanics can cause undue stress on your knee. Keep with lower impact cardio such as elliptical and cycling vs running, this will also lower the stress on your joints. I myself have the onset of arthritis in my knees, but I cycle often. Pay attention to your body, if your joints hurt, you "over-did it" for that workout.
  • NicolaVitkovich
    NicolaVitkovich Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good morning Treadmill Mom -

Much of arthritis has to do with diet and foods that cause inflammation. It can also result from improper mechanics during repetitive motions (that is: bad form). Unfortunately with the work nurses do having "good form" while lifting patients isn't as easy as wanting to have it.

HIIT is awesome, glad to see you are doing HIIT. Strength training is also important for maintaining healthy bones and lean mass. I have my clients do HIIT 2x a week, strength circuit training 2x a week and walk 30-60 minutes a day where they fit it in. In between high intensity workouts I am a real big proponent of REST for myself and my clients, because what you do at the gym does not result in changes until you allow your body time to rest and recover. It is as important as the strenuous exercise and can help you avoid plateaus. If strength training is done without proper form and strategic variation you can, over time, wear down your joints … Choose lots of variety in your exercises and try to avoid falling into a routine where you choose the same ones over and over. What weight you lift should be challenging for you, if it is easy you body will not have the stimulus for change.

Fish oil or Krill oil supplements are something I strongly suggest as well, as it helps bring down inflammation, I especially like those to contain something called astaxanthin which is a potent anti-oxidant for joint health. I like Nutrigold's Krill Oil personally, but choose one that works for you :-)

Lastly I suggest you investigate the Paleo diet … That's the lifestyle I recommend for my clients.

Best of luck to you!
    -Nicola
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Options
    NicolaLByrne I take Saturdays and Sundays as my 'reset' days, is that adequate?

In your experience what are the inflamation causing foods?

I've been taking Cod Liver Oil capsules for the last year.
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Options
    Bump
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Options
    This is my last bump, I'm making myself look desperate, lol.