FCK BELLY FAT!!! It's not going down! HELP

Options
I've been eating clean and working out for over three months now. I've lost abuot 30 lbs! I've lost weight EVERYWHERE except my stomach...I power walk and use workout dvd's. Should I try something different?

Replies

• eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I'll bet you have lost belly fat too. Remember you usually lose weight opposite of how you put it on. I know that for me, the belly is the first spot I gain. That means it's the last spot I lose too. Do you have any before/ after pictures to help motivate you? Have you taken measurements? KEEP WITH IT! It sounds like you're doing great! I'm nowhere near 30 pounds yet.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Do nothing different. Everyone has stubborn fat areas. They are the first areas your body will begin to store fat and the last areas your body will take it away from.

Keep going as you are. 30lbs in 3 months in great progress.

Also, when the weight loss slows down, and it will, don't make another thread about how 'you're not losing as quick as you was at the start' ..... It happens. Trust me, I'm a doctor.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You still have a lot of weight to lose, like over 50 pounds. As you lose more weight the belly fat will go down.
  • mudbugs07
    mudbugs07 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    There is really nothing you can really do to lose belly fat other than the things you are doing now. My first question is, are you losing inches instead of fat. What ever you are doing keep it up, you body make up has decided to burn fat in other places first like legs, arms, that double or triple chin like I had. Just keep working those abs to make them stronger where they will burn more calories. Just keep working to stay healthy. And eventually you body will start attacking the belly fat. Good luck, and keep at it you will make it.
  • Weightlossmommy7
    Options
    Wow! Thank you all! Should I do more crunches and planks? I've kind of stopped because someone told me not to do crunches until I lost belly fat...Im so confused,lol.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Me too. I'm not worried as I know it'll go down eventually, but I have lost over 50 lbs and have gone down a total of 1 inch in my stomach area and a half inch off my hips. This means I've gone down only one size in my pants size. My shirts are fitting better and people say my face looks thinner, but it would be nice to be able to wear smaller jeans.

Hang in there and keep doing what you're doing. It'll happen.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you all! Should I do more crunches and planks? I've kind of stopped because someone told me not to do crunches until I lost belly fat...Im so confused,lol.

Just keep losing weight.

Crunches and planks are great for core strength, but they won't target the fat on your stomach. Do core exercises if you want to improve your strength there, but not with the intention of getting a smaller stomach.

Keep going and you'll lose the weight there eventually.
  • mtbaker64
    mtbaker64 Posts: 53 Member
    Options

Continue with what you are doing... sounds like you are doing great! Yes, I would do a couple sets of abs/core workout everyday (crunches, planks, etc). It will strengthen and tone.

Great job!
  • Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Options

I dunno what that person was on to suggest that because I can't think of any logical reason for it. Even though crunches and other ab exercises won't target the belly fat (despite all those wonderfully misleading infomercials), it will tone up the muscles there so that once the belly fat does recede, it'll be more noticeable and look better.
  • Weightlossmommy7
    Options
    Thank you for replying. I've been taking pictures a lot. This is why Im so frustrated. My belly looks the same. I haven't lost any inches whatsever in my belly. I will keep going. It may just be the last to go like you all said. :sad:
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hi how are you?
    I have two little ones and I have been working really hard on losing this weight for the past year. I still have belly fat, For whatever reason my body holds on to fat there. My arms back and but look great. my belly does not want to comply. But I am not giving up, You have lost 30 lbs in 3 months, that is really amazing, it may take longer to get where you want to be, but you will get there. Its so worth it.
    Have you measured yourself and taken pictures? I can not see a difference otherwise. and its slow going but you will get there.
    What you eat and drink is of the utmost importance. I realize certain foods make me bloated, and also that time of the month. I can not snack at night or drink a beer like I used to. I aim to eat as clean as possible
    You will find what works for you,
  • Weightlossmommy7
    Options
    Hi how are you?
    I have two little ones and I have been working really hard on losing this weight for the past year. I still have belly fat, For whatever reason my body holds on to fat there. My arms back and but look great. my belly does not want to comply. But I am not giving up, You have lost 30 lbs in 3 months, that is really amazing, it may take longer to get where you want to be, but you will get there. Its so worth it.
    Have you measured yourself and taken pictures? I can not see a difference otherwise. and its slow going but you will get there.
    What you eat and drink is of the utmost importance. I realize certain foods make me bloated, and also that time of the month. I can not snack at night or drink a beer like I used to. I aim to eat as clean as possible
    You will find what works for you,

Congrats on getting so close to your goal! Yea...My son is almost two and I had a csection. I anticipated it to be a struggle. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. I am going to start the c25k, maybe that will help. I do have a longer way to go. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Weightlossmommy7
    Options
    Do nothing different. Everyone has stubborn fat areas. They are the first areas your body will begin to store fat and the last areas your body will take it away from.

Also, when the weight loss slows down, and it will, don't make another thread about how 'you're not losing as quick as you was at the start' ..... It happens. Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Thanks Dr.!!! I will take your advice......
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can't spot reduce, but if you do resistance/weight training, it will help you maintain your lean body mass. Maintaining your LBM will help get your body tight and lean much quicker. So to see good results, have a small deficit (1 lb per week) and weight training. When you combine the combo, you should see results quicker. I know I have seen greater results doing a weight training program over a HIIT or cardio style program. This is because you concentrate on fat loss, not weight loss.
  • Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I feel the same and was hoping for perhaps some magical helpful advice here :)

However, I have noticed a lot of people I know who have lost a lot of weight have the same problem. We're always hearing that phrase "stubborn belly fat" because for some reason it is often the last to go.

Have you taken progress photos for yourself? I had taken some at one point and although I felt like my belly was getting even BIGGER as the rest of me got smaller, I could see in the photos my belly was actually getting smaller, just not quite as fast.

Also, lifting weights seems to help many people :)
  • SA_80_2012
    SA_80_2012 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

Love this advice, and i'll save it for myself. I've been feeling very down about my core not looking as firm as i'd like, but i know all my perseverance will pay off at some point... I've dropped about 3 dress sizes and lost about 11 cm ( 3 inches?) off my waist. Yup, my hard work will get me the great abs i want
  • KBGAgent
    KBGAgent Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I so, SO, know what you are talking about. I finally look great everywhere, except that fargin' pudge pocket that just won't go away. It is smaller but still there. Everything I've read just says stick with it, its will shed from there too. And it isn't as thick when I pinch it.
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Many times the belly fat is the last to go because it isn't normal stores fat. Your body creates layers of fat tissue and if you have a thicker waistline you will have more visceral fat which is not superficial (right under the skin) like normal fat. Visceral fat is a denser thicker fat that is stored between and around your organs and is very difficult to get rid of and is the most unhealthy kind of fat. This is why people like me who were overweight throughout my child/teen years have more visceral fat than regular fat. This is also who people who gain weight rather quickly and the lose it quick Bounce back to their pre-weight gain body so easily, they were healthy and then only gained normal fat. The longer you were overweight the more visceral fat will be there.
  • whimsy38
    whimsy38 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I got this info from a podcast about burning fat. The "experts" were pro body builders. They said that to burn fat you should avoid carbs at least 2 hrs before hand, otherwise it's those carbs that burn first. That belly fat is the reservoir for immediate energy, so it can go first if you time it right. Now I can't time my exercise this way so I'm just putting the idea out there.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I got this info from a podcast about burning fat. The "experts" were pro body builders. They said that to burn fat you should avoid carbs at least 2 hrs before hand, otherwise it's those carbs that burn first. That belly fat is the reservoir for immediate energy, so it can go first if you time it right. Now I can't time my exercise this way so I'm just putting the idea out there.

slapping_zps5e566621.gif