Too Much Sugar?

Options
So one thing that I've discovered since logging my food on here is that I eat way too much sugar. But it's not like I'm eating snickers and ice cream for lunch. I snack on fruit...a lot. Yesterday, I surpassed my daily sugar requirement with just my snacks...two clementines alone was 38 grams and my suggested is 33 grams. So I guess what I'm wondering, is there such a thing as good sugar and bad sugar? I love fruit, so I don't want to give it up. I hate veggies and don't want to make them my go to snack. What are y'alls thoughts? I have a lot of belly fat to lose, is this really hurting my chances of shrinking my belly? Any and all feedback is much appreciated!! :o)

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to track sugar intake, don't worry about it. Keep eating fruit and keep going over.

The only sugar you need worry about is fructose and it's only chronic ingestion that has been linked to anything bad.

So yeah, keep rolling as you are, lady as long as you're pretty active.
  • OriginalKatie
    OriginalKatie Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    "bad sugar" or "good sugar", it makes little difference once it its absorbed by your body - it's all just glucose, and all of it can be stored as fat or glycogen. Don't give up fruit - it's an essential part of a healthy diet! Perhaps have a look at the calorie difference between various fruits, and pick some that are lower in calories. Limit the higher calorie fruits for treats, or pre- workout fuel.
  • krisam06
    krisam06 Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi--I have the same problem with sugar also. Limiting your sugar intake does shrink your belly. I know this fact because a few years back when i was really watching my sugar intake---my stomach did shrink tremendously. Maybe do some research on the fruits that dont have as much sugar and concentrate on those. Good Luck
  • mtbaker64
    mtbaker64 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to track sugar intake, don't worry about it. Keep eating fruit and keep going over.

The only sugar you need worry about is fructose and it's only chronic ingestion that has been linked to anything bad.

So yeah, keep rolling as you are, lady as long as you're pretty active.

Thanks!! I was concerned about this too! I don't eat junk or candy. But my protein shake in the morning has 10 grams of sugar and carrots and fruit have a lot of sugar. I won't stress over going a little over my sugar allowance.
  • Madaly320
    Madaly320 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I took the sugar tracking column out so I don't even have to see it. I was going over every single day and it was causing me stress. I would have a coffee with ONE sugar and then a banana and I would be over my sugar.

This was not causing me to stop my coffee....it was causing me to stop eating the banana, or grapes, apple, etc!!

This is also why sometimes (SOMETIMES!) I don't track my fruit. I know they can be high in calories...but it was making me not eat them at all because I would rather eat something else for those calories than the fruit. So ..I dont always track them or else I wouldn't eat them. This whole change in my life should not be causing me stress. I should be happy to make better choices.

So I say, if you are going over your sugars..and it is NOT because you are binge eating candy or anything like that ...take the sugar column out if it is bothering you.
  • caroljohnson10
    Options
    Hi

I have also got an high sugar intake, only been doing two days, again I snack on loads of fruit in the office Monday to Friday, but come weekend I hardly eat fruit. What I have noticed is the high sugar content in Fat Free muller light yogurts, as anyone got an alternative for yoghurt snacks Thanks
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Some people seem to be able to ingest it by the barrels and not gain a pound (my wife is one of those people). I'm not that lucky -- i have to restrict my sugar intake as part of my overall approach.
  • centarix
    centarix Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    If you are diabetic or can't produce enough insulin then try to limit the sugar, but if you have no health problems then keep eating :smile:
  • jennontheroad
    jennontheroad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I agree- if the only sugars you are getting are from fruits, don;t worry about it. Try to eliminate all processed sugar- this alone is a challenge. I'd stop eating breads and pastas before fruit- since breads and pastas etc are highly processed, whereas fruit is natural!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    everyone eats to much sugar - except for the few people who try really hard not to!
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I would not turn off the sugar column in MFP if you have noticed it is on the high side. Sugar is not everyone's friend and may not help your goals. If you lower the number of processed items in your diet you will notice the sugar problem will disappear.
  • kmross2007
    kmross2007 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the great feed back! The majority of my sugar is from fruit, but I will try to limit my processed sugar intake. I do have a granola bar every day and I love pasta/bread, so I'll try to cut those a little bit...can't do it completely or else it becomes a diet!! I will definitely take the sugar tracking column out so I don't get discouraged, thanks for that piece of info! I am overall very healthy and very active (on week 6 of Insanity and traning for a slew of 5k's this spring/summer). No diabetes or anything like that.

Again, thanks SO very much! :happy:
  • MissTati85
    MissTati85 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For me, I find that when I can stick to around 30 grams of sugar - from anything - I lose weight a lot faster. I cut out sugar from my daily cups of coffee (I learned to like coffee with just 2% milk), if I eat fruit- it's just one fruit/serving a day (because it will eat up most of my sugar intake), and I try to avoid sweets (today is a bad day since I nibbled on candy).

You could try to see what your body does from not eating as much sugar just to test out the theory. And I would recommend that you try to add more veggies into your diet.

Something that I love to eat is salad with fruit in it- mandarin oranges or strawberries/blueberres are awesome in a salad. I just throw some in with my letteuce, onion, cucumber, and peppers. :)
  • violagurl117
    violagurl117 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    A far as those of you who have been mentioning cutting out sugar in coffee, what do you think of using a sugar substitute such as Splenda or Truvia?