Disheartened

Options
The title sums me up right now.

I'm working so hard - working out (Cardio) 5 + times a week, eating next to no fat, counting my calories and I know its just a plateau but I feel like I'm getting no where.

A little about me: 24 yo Female, Scotland, H&S office worker, 85lb to lose, lost 17lb so far, completing my first 10k in 4 Weeks and completing Tough Mudder in 16 Weeks.

I decided in February I DONT WANT TO BE FAT FOREVER. So I made up my mind to change it, and I have, I'm enjoying exercise, enjoying eating healthy and still having a treat once a week.

Feel so gutted that nothing is moving (inches or lb)

xxx

Replies

• tracygolden
    tracygolden Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I feel you "dishearteness" if that's a word. I hit my plauteau a month ago and can't move any more pounds off. The boyfriend says the scales aren't going down but I'm looking size cause he can reach around me more. Not sure if its true but it does help me keep going. Hoping some folks have advice for you that I can grab too. Wish I could be more help to you but know you aren't the only one.
  • casmjones
    casmjones Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Just don't give up. You came this far then you can continue. This is the best place for support. Feel free to add me.
  • plzlbsbegone
    Options
    Hang in there! You are doing all the right things! I have heard that when you hit a plateau, change things up! Try some new exercises! Eventually the scale is going to show your efforts!
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, it will come off! :flowerforyou:
  • marise51
    marise51 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This is the part that divides the determined and the weak. Losing weight is one of the hardest jobs in my opinion. Deep breath and keep your focus on your goal. Write in your journal, go for a walk in the sunshine with a supportive friend. You may jump on the scale in a couple of days and see a major shift in your weight. Think of the glory of moving that much closer to your ultimate goal..I know you can do it.
  • kanegirl973
    kanegirl973 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, you have done great so far, like others have said try changing your exercise to give the body a wee shock! You CAN and WILL get there!
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    why are you eating very little fat?? the body NEEDS you to eat fat... just not excessive amounts...

stop restrictive dieting... its self-defeating

EAT THE FOOD!!! do not leave out entire food groups, especially carbs & fat.... try strength training instead of just cardio...
  • marcelain
    Options
    Hi there. It is possible you are under your calorie goal. I suggest to change the traditional foods and exercise program, sometimes that helps. But I hear your frustration. During the past seven days, I have followed the calorie goal, done my weight-loss yoga program (from the Biggest Looser DVD), and gained a pound. Maybe I need to follow my own advice! hahaha... hang in there.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? Are you eating back exercise cals?
  • marcelain
    Options
    I agree!
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You need some fat in your diet, and , weight training! Make sure you are eating enough calories everyday.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    First of all, eat some fat. Your body needs fat to be healthy. Low fat diets are not healthy diets. Fat is higher calorie but it's important for organ function, nutrient absorption and satiety.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats-and-cholesterol/

What is your daily calories goal? When you exercise do you eat more or do you keep calories steady?
  • jennontheroad
    jennontheroad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! think of what you have lost so far and know that you will never regain it! You are already signed up for some amazing races- keep running and this will help in your weight loss. Watch what you eat, but do eat healthy fats. Just keep on eating healthy homemade meals and whole foods and you will be doing your body good.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    why are you eating very little fat?? the body NEEDS you to eat fat... just not excessive amounts...

stop restrictive dieting... its self-defeating

EAT THE FOOD!!! do not leave out entire food groups, especially carbs & fat.... try strength training instead of just cardio...

This!
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    First: Don't give up! You've been working towards a goal and it's not worth it to throw it away!

Try looking at this not so much as a diet, but a lifestyle change. Stop dieting and start eating right. Cut down on restaurant food/takeout and process foods (I'm only guessing because I can't view your food dieary). Learn the right portion sizes (which everyone seems to get wrong). Eat the complex carbs instead of the simple carbs and love your vegatables! And as stated: eat the fat! Good fats though. Avocados, olive oil, nuts. Things like that.

And, as was already stated, maybe you aren't getting enough calories. It sounds crazy but sometimes you have to eat more to get your metabolism jump started again.

And last but most importantly: Listen to that motivation being provided by your MFP friends!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Uh, please eat some more fat. It is SO extremely important.

Maybe even add a fish oil supplement.

Secondly, give it time! You can do it! Just make sure your logging is actually accurate. You count absolutely everything. And you are not over-estimating your calories burned. :)
  • whairigaila
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice everyone - it is so much appreciated.

Typical Day:
    B:Porridge with Milk and sweetner
    Snack - Low Fat Yoghurt
    L: Boiled Veg, pasta with homemade sauce (Tomato & chilli based)
    Snack - Apple & Orange
    D: Steamed tuna steak with veg and potatoes
    Exercise - 45 Minutes of Les Mills Body Attack/Body Combat

I am ashamed to admit that I've joined Slimming world (not because i dont believe in it, I just know how to do this on my own, without paying someone £4.95 a week to weigh me!). I had totally lost my way and needed some face to face help and this class was on my street. It suited me for about 6 weeks but I dont think my body likes it. Free foods: Pasta, rice, potoates, veg, lean meat, chicken, fish, pulses, beans.

It all seems wrong to me - its far too many carbs! It goes against everything I have been taught about weight loss and fitness.

I'm enjoying my exercise, a lot, but for the last 2 weeks, the weight/inches have not moved. Actually thats a lie - i gained 4lb last week (TOTM).

:sad: :sad: :sad: xx
  • titadks
    titadks Posts: 10
    Options
    If you cut out too much of the essential barbs and fat your body will go into starvation mode and slow down your metabolism to hang on to some calories. Just eat a balanced meal like everyone here has been suggesting and also start strength training- even if its a few push ups and squads they will help build muscle which in turn helps burn more calories and in the long run loose more weight.
    Also make sure to drink lots of water
  • levstein
    levstein Posts: 74
    Options
    Whatever you do DON'T GIVE UP! Keep on doing your cardio keep logging calories cut out 'junk' carbs stay off the scales for 2 weeks don't focus on the numbers on the scales drink lots of water sipping it from a sports bottle throughout the day so you never feel really thirsty keep your goal in mind and go for it. One day you will get there and then you can reap the rewards you can be slim fit happy and healthy the only person who can stop you is you so don't give up try a hypnosis c d to help you focus keep you calm and inspired. There is no short cut to losing weight after all did you have a short cut to gaining it? Did you think I want to put on half a stone this week and I'd like it to go straight to my *kitten*? When you were gaining weight you were out of control now you are losing weight you are in control but you have to keep focused I cannot stress that enough. Losing weight starts in the mind and the body will comply as you take control. DON'T GIVE UP 'COS YOU'RE WORTH IT xxx
    btw since reaching my goal weight I have lost a further 9 lbs without trying I keep up with the exercise and eat healthy in fact I eat more now than I ever did I listen to my body and eat as soon as I start to feel hungry.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Not sure exactly what you're eating but since you mention eating so little fat, my suggestion would be to reduce your carbs and up your fats. A study was done of three diets, Atkins-type, low glycemic and high-carb. In all cases, subjects ate the same number of calories. The Atkins-type subjects lost the most weight; then low glycemic; then high carb. High-carb also lowered the metabolism the most. but Atkins was the hardest for people to stay on because it's so limited, and besides, fruits and veggies are good for you..

All calories are not equal. Well, they are in a calorimeter, which is used to measure calories. It will burn off everything. But the human body is not a calorimeter and digests different foods differently. One study found that only about two-thirds of the calories in almonds were digested.

Carbs also tend to retain water. Unless they're in truly whole-grain form (which means wheat berries, not whole-wheat bread) they cause blood-sugar spikes and drops that make you hungrier. Try it for a couple of weeks and see if it doesn't work for you.