Running shoe

Options
What's a good running shoe? Trying to get back into running, have pumas right now, and they seriously aren't good at all! any information would be great :)

Replies

• zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I am an ASICS girl. Brooks and Saucony also good. You should find a store that specializes in running shoes (if you are fortunate enough to have a Roadrunner Sports nearby, go there). They will fit you with the right shoe for your foot and stride. May cost more than a pair of New Balance at a department store, but there is nothing worse than bad running shoes – good shoes are worth every penny.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I like my Brooks. The best thing is to go to a store and try them on. You can also go to a running store and they will test your stride and gait and recommend a shoe. I am thinking about doing this the next time I need shoes, although I'll feel bad when they tell me what I need, and I leave without buying anything because I'm cheap, and I'll try to find it on the internet....
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Love my Asics.
  • Katemarie34
    Katemarie34 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Ahhh--- definitely didn't even think about a running store that does that, I don't know if we even have a place like that, but will look it up. Thanks! I am a little cheap too, but been running the last couple weeks and my bank/ankles and everything just hurt like crap- so figured it's time to invest a little in some good shoes... Thanks! :)
  • fitqueen2
    Options
    I have a high arch so I got Mizuno wave creation 13. The wave creation 14's just came out they will be my next running shoe. I did get fitted at a running store!
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have been lucky with Nike, I know they get a bad rap sometimes but I have had 2 pairs of Nike ($75) and 1 pair of Ascis ($150) and I alternate between them and I must say I look forward to my run days with the Nike's. I don't have the joy of having a good running shoe store near me so I just do a lot of research www.runnersworld.com is very helpful. Then when I do get to a store I look for the top rated shoes and try them on. I knew the moment I put them on my feet that they were the ones - the Nike's. The Ascics were a christmas gift so even though they look awesome they are not my favorite.
  • marcman2k4o
    Options
    the kind that doesn't leave you barefooted.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Rykas are my favorite. Made by women for women.
  • Tomhoffman84
    Options
    Running shoes are unique to your running style and body.

Important considerations are:

Weight
    Typical running surface (trail vs paved)
    Arch Height
    Pronation
    Running style (heel strike, midfoot, vs forefoot)

You should find a local running store to do a free analysis to find the ideal running shoe for you. If you already know the above information, you can use http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor to find suggested shoes based on your individual criteria.

Finding the right shoe is one of the most important parts to enjoying running. Personally I'm running in a Nike Pegasus+ 29 currently, a neutral, cushioned shoe (around $90-100).

Some online stores with limited quantities of sizes/styles (as long as you are not picky of about less popular styles) you are able to find great deals on high end shoes. $130+ list price shoes can be had for under $80 if you search enough.
  • Alison12121
    Alison12121 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Brooks trail running shoes. I like them so much better than Nike.
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the suggestions to get fitted. There are different kinds of running shoes, and if you are going to invest any kind of money (and it's totally an investment in yourself!) , it's worth spending the extra dollars to make sure that you are getting the right pair for you. Oh, and I wear Mizuno Alchemy - love em!
  • dtdam
    dtdam Posts: 20
    Options
    My physical therapist actually recommended Asics to me due to some arthritis in my knee. I have worn them ever since and love them !!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Ahhh--- definitely didn't even think about a running store that does that, I don't know if we even have a place like that, but will look it up. Thanks! I am a little cheap too, but been running the last couple weeks and my bank/ankles and everything just hurt like crap- so figured it's time to invest a little in some good shoes... Thanks! :)

Definitely go and get fitted. You need the right shoes for you.

There is running store near you (based on your profile info):

http://www.runnersblock.com/

There's also an area running club, which can help provide support and info:

http://www.siouxfallsarearunningclub.org/
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Definately get a gait analysis done and then decide. Check to see if you have a Fleet Feet or Run Away shoes near you. I'm a Saucony girl myself. Just ordered a pair of Saucony Progrid Glide 6s...
  • kimm147
    kimm147 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    <3 brooks <3 mizuno
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    LOVE the Brooks Pure Project line!!! Seriously. <3
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Definitely go to a running store. I wear Vibram Five Fingers, but they're not for everyone.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I love Brooks, but will occasionally get New Balance. Saucony hurt my feet, Nikes are too narrow. Go get fitted - it will make a world of difference and you can easily get an AMAZING pair of running shoes for under 100$
  • HappyTrailswithDee
    Options
    Depends on your needs. After struggling with foot problems (heel spurs, collapsed arches) as well as a knee injury I invested in a pair of Asics and it was the best investment I have ever made. I am walking/jogging almost all day at work although I don't "run" per say at the moment, I would like to get back into cross-country running (if the snow here ever stops) as I always loved it. I have found that for my needs the Asics are the best money can buy, and have motivated me to get out and start doing more as I am not in pain all the time anymore.
  • Katemarie34
    Katemarie34 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to quote on here- but thank you for the runners block suggestion, and the group... and thank you everyone for the suggestions!! :)