Treadmill vs. Outdoors

Options
So where I live we are in our 7th month of snowy weather...more snow expected later this week. Nice:P I am ready for sunshine and green grass! That said all my workouts thus far have been indoors. I do strength training and then rotate between running on the treadmill, walking "hills" on the treadmill, elliptical and stationary bike. I'm working up to running a 5K in June...

When I can finally get outside what can I expect? Right now I can comfortably run 3 miles on the treadmill but I'm worried that once I get outside I won't be able to keep up the same pace.

I'm never been a long distance runner. While 5K is probably not a long distance to some it is to me:) I have more affinity for speed than distance.

Thoughts? Suggestions on how I can prepare myself for the outdoors...if Spring ever comes to my neck of the woods! :)

Replies

• Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone get a GPS app and keep an eye on your pace, try keep it in line with what you've been working on.
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    No Smartphone:(..I'm always embarrassed to admit that! ha
  • dayr1993
    dayr1993 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Im doimg the c25k and iv been doimg it outside and im sorry to say its so much harder outside then what it is on the treadmill someome said to me if you run 4 miles on treadmill its only 2 outside so you may need to brace yourself :S

Good luck though :)
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Can you try to run outside at least 1x per week? I'm in MN and we have snow here but the roads are pretty clear most of the time (after the plow goes through). I have been running outside all winter. I plan to go today!
    It is quite a bit different and the more you can train outside, the better! I did C25K as well, and it is a great program.
  • Saaski
    Saaski Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You probably won't be able to keep the same pace, at least to start.. You'll be changing from a smooth, steady track to one with rocks, gravel, dirt, and other debris, a much less level track due it just being ground, and you'll also be dealing with an air and temperature change. Especially with spring coming, you'll also need to get used to steadily breathing in pollen and other allergens while you run, in weather that's different than what you're used to.

My best advice is to not get frustrated. It depends on the person, but you might notice a drastic change in pace and distance that you can run. But the more you get used to running outdoors, the more you'll improve.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    You could also put some incline on the treadmill to help prepare for the switch to outdoors. If you can get up to around 1.5 for the incline that helps mimic the extra work it takes to run outside for some people.
  • sleepingtodream
    Options
    Im doimg the c25k and iv been doimg it outside and im sorry to say its so much harder outside then what it is on the treadmill someome said to me if you run 4 miles on treadmill its only 2 outside so you may need to brace yourself :S

Good luck though :)

Definitely need to hear this!
  • katiepen
    katiepen Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bless you, snow is rubbish when you are trying to get outdoors!

I started running on the treadmill in our garage in January this year. I did intervals using the nhs choices podcasts (I'm uk based) and am now running for a much longer amout of time on the treadmill.
    I've been out for a few outdoor runs over the past month now that the weather is getting a bit better, but do struggle with it.
    I'm lucky as I have a route from my office, round a route that is off road but with paths that measures just over 4k. The first time I did it I set myself points to run to and then had a few minutes walk to recover. I walked more than I ran that time but the next time I did it I ran moe that I walked. I had to walk over the tiny snowdrifts that had appeared near the hedges!

I've found outdoor running harder but much less boring :-) So am sticking with it.

I've entered a 5k event in July and am determined to run the whole lot.

Good luck with it all

Katie x
  • Amy_Andrews
    Amy_Andrews Posts: 106
    Options
    I am a beginner runner and run primarily on the treadmill. I get outdoors every other monday for my "long run" which is usually 3 miles. I find outside a bit more challenging with the wind factor, which affects my breathing. However, I find that my pace is actually a bit faster outside and I don't get as bored. I love looking around at not just at a brick wall! I've also found that around the 2 mile mark, I have to stop to walk to catch my breath when outside for just 30-45 seconds, but never on the treadmill. And probably allergy related, but at night after running outside I get these coughing fits.

Hope spring visits you soon!
  • Pamela117e
    Pamela117e Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Personally I think it's easier to run outside than on a treadmill -- I do both and find treadmill running boring even with music. Outside is more engaging and I go further at a quicker pace. On the treadmill looking for ways to end the torture -- strangle myself with my earbuds, throw myself out the window, poke my eye out with the drinking straw, etc. In my experience if you can run a 5K on a treadmill you'll do fine outdoors. You are doing great, keep up the good work and hope spring arrives soon in your neck of the woods.
  • sleepingtodream
    Options
    Even when the plows come through our roads are crappy:( I'm going to try and get outside this weekend regardless though. Need to push myself to see what I can accomplish and go from there. I will also try running at an incline on the treadmill. Nice suggestion!

I know I've got my work cut out for me but I can do it!
  • youareorange
    youareorange Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I find running on a treadmill much easier than outdoors. Do you access to an indoor track?

Outdoors is definitely more engaging and I tend to run faster outside.
  • resistance_freak
    Options
    I've always found the miles easier on a treadmill too. You're not actually propelling yourself forward on a treadmill so much as you're just keeping up with the belt spinning beneath you.

But I will have to disagree with an earlier poster who said that 4 miles on the treadmill is like 2 outside. My experience is that I just can't keep up the same pace outside as I can on the treadmill, and its perfectly smooth and consistent state.

Best of luck to you though!
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I also think it is harder outside. Maybe not as hard to do so many miles but definitely harder to go at that pace. Inside I could easily do 3 miles at about an 8 and a half minute mile and outside my pace is more around a 10 minute mile.

Plus outside you have natural hills and any incline at all is tough. On a treadmill it's just flat all the time.

Best of luck to you!
  • sleepingtodream
    Options

You're not actually propelling yourself forward on a treadmill so much as you're just keeping up with the belt spinning beneath you.

This is spot on for what I feel when I'm on the treadmill. Just need to get over my fear/pride that I "might" not be able to run 3 miles outside right away. Gotta start somewhere though, huh?
  • Nomi923
    Nomi923 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    hmm.. a lot of people seem to think the miles on the treadmill are easier. I've actually experienced the opposite. When I'm outside I can run a lot more and feel a lot better as well.

Maybe its just me though !
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You can also buy spikes for your shoes to wear if snowy or icy.
  • annsies
    annsies Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've always found the treadmill much more difficult than running outside--at least from a mental perspective! I too am from a snowy climate, and therefore have done a lot of treadmill training. If you're comfortable running 3 miles on a treadmill, you'll do just fine at the race. Once you get in the race atmosphere (cheering, crowds, other runners) it's so exciting, you might even end up running faster! Good luck :)
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I just recently discovered how different the two actually are. Using a treadmill to train for a 5K wasn't too bad since it was a shorter distance, but I definitely couldn't keep the same pace. I can run a 5K on the treadmill in under 30, but the outside conditions added about 3 minutes to my time for the actual race.

I've been using a treadmill to help me prepare for a half marathon. I've done most of my running inside and thought I was doing wonderfully, but recently have taken to the roads and now I'm struggling. It's a much different experience, especially if there are any hills involved. I would definitely recommend doing as much outside as you can manage. I understand staying in when it's cold and snowy (my asthma is a killer in cold weather) but power through it! I definitely will next time!
  • kevinjb1
    kevinjb1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    The trick about bumping the incline up to 1 or 1.5 really does help.
    I hate running on a treadmill, but I do it because I find it easier on my surgically repaired knees and ankle than the pounding I get from the pavement. For me, trail running is the best because you are running on a natural surface (better shock absorption) and there are twists, turns, inclines and declines to navigate meaning you work all of the stabilizing muscles in you legs instead of just the ones that propell you forward on a paved surface.