Calorie Defieciency

Options
I have a question and hopefully someone could help me or maybe I could see your diary to see what your eating. I tend to eat around 1200 calories and I feel full and don't feel hungry most days, but with exercising 5 days a week I noticed that I stopped losing weight and I feel that it's because I am not eating enough. Can you guys recommend some foods for me that I could throw in as snacks that have some calories to them and wouldn't be bad. I can figure a way to add calories in, but only ones that are bad for me to eat.

Replies

• RoBalance
    RoBalance Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Go for nuts! 100g often have like 600 kcal. That should do the job easily.
  • tordek9
    tordek9 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Any particular kind?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Different nuts are good sources of trace elements as well as a good source of healthy fats. Go for a mixture to get all the benefits. Almonds, cashews, peanuts, Brazil nuts, walnuts etc are all good.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Also add in peanut butter, coconut oil, avocado, full fat milk, cheese and full fat Greek yoghurt.

All these will boost your calorie intake.
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I love adding almonds to salad (spinach, strawberries, almonds, balsamic vinegar)
    Also add them to Greek yogurt
    I've made homemade trail mix with almonds, pretzels, some chocolate chips, raisins, etc.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    So you want to see my diary and asking for advise on a closed diary.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I carb cycle, and eat several times a day. Love edamame! a piece of pricutto wrapped and a stringcheese, almonds, and 1/2 c red grapes. @ green olives, smoked wild salmon on whole grain toast. LOTs of veggies!
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Options
    here is a good one! Portabella mushroom cap with tomato sauce, black olive slices, on piece of string cheese (pulled apart), three pieces of turkey pepperoni. Build it like a pizza using the mushroom as the crust! Yum!
  • violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    Options
    you can see my diary. yesterday is not a good example but other than that i do a lot of my shopping at trader joe's.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Options
    use egg roll wrappers, and stuff them with healthy fillings (ground turkey, black beans, taco seasoning, and a small amount of cheese) seal with a little swipe of water on a finger around the edge fold it and crimp with a fork. Oven @ 350 for 20 mins. (spray pan with smart balance cooking spray so the do not stick. (pot pie version : reduced fat cream of celery soup, 1 cup of peas, 1 cup carrots, finely diced chicken (2 oz.), 1tsp. of corn starch mixed with 1 tsp. of water (mix this in soup before folding in veggies and chicken), spoon in filling seal (same cook time) makes like 6 pockets. Around 88 to 100 calories. These are great portion control and delicious.
  • Toddahlie
    Toddahlie Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I always go for nuts when I need increasy my intake of calories
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Dip sliced apples or a banana in a tablespoon of peanut butter. Add a handful of walnuts to oatmeal, snack on raw almonds, add avocado to salads, eggs, or a sandwich, etc.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    If you can eat nuts I think that is a great choice.
    Not bulky but higher calories that are good.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Options
    I love this one too : Chipotle shrimp and avocado stuffed tomato: 2oz. of cooked shrimp chopped, 1/2 avocado mashed, 1tsp of chipotle in adode sauce finely chopped, (sometimes I add a few chopped walnuts for chrunch. mix it up like tuna salad. Cut the top off the tomato, and gently scoop out inside. Fill and enjoy! you can top w/ a little green onion. I love to eat and cook. Since most of my meals are from scratch these are a few thing I love to keep on hand. Avocados great MUFAS! I can mash them mix them with Chipotle, and enjoy a spicy mayo like creaminess. Veganaise for when you want mayo (healthier fats than reg. mayo, and my family thinks it taste better. Black Beans (yummy for sure), Birds Eye frozen brown rice (fast cooking 4:00 min) I usually mix this with sauteed green peppers, and onion diced fine, and a small can of low or no sodium organic tomato sauce, and 1 tbsp of my homemade taco seasoning for a Spanish style rice. Nuts, Nuts and more Nuts (always raw, and no salt) Quinoa, Kale, Carrots, and beans. I also keep tomato sauce, and low sodium broths to make quick soups, and add flavor to rice, or quinoa, and other grains I cook. (replace water that the rice calls for)
  • autumnlily31185
    autumnlily31185 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Nuts, nut butters, avocados, roast your veggies or saute them in some olive oil instead of eating them raw or steaming them all the time...eat some cheese and some full fat dairy...get full fat salad dressings for your salad, etc.

Basically eat some fat. Most people who have difficulty meeting their calorie goals have drastically cut the fat in their diet because they have an unhealthy relationship with fat. Dietary fat doesn't make you...fat is an essential macro-nutrient. It is vital to brain function as well as heart health.
  • youareorange
    youareorange Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Nuts, veggies, greek yogurt, bread, fruit, rice cakes, peanut butter on bananas (yum!), I have been eating Luna bars lately and I find they're a filling snack, although I'd prefer whole foods but sometimes it's just not gonna happen...

Homemade air-popped popcorn, fruit smoothies - you can put veggies, nuts, fruit, milk, etc. to really hit those calories.
  • alisa1958
    alisa1958 Posts: 16
    Options
    well i see you are only eating 1200 calories and that is on the low side for loosing. I also eat around
    that each day, but I don't need to loose..............only maintain my current weight. When you don't eat
    enough your body is going to store it as fat and say................."i am going in starvation mode as she is not
    eating enough".

If you do work out and are pretty active throughout the day then you probably should eat more
    Why don't you put in your goals on here and see what amount of calories they tell you to eat.
    Mine said 1200 calories but when I exercise it adds on the extra calories I burned. I also put
    in sedentary.

Some good quality snacks would be protein shakes or bars, good quality fats (like avocado, salmon, hummus)

The bottom line is you have to find the calories you need to take in keep loosing.

Alisa
  • tordek9
    tordek9 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    @nancyrose79

What is veganaise? I suspect it's a healthy alternative to Mayo, but how would I go about making something like that?
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Options
    @nancyrose79

What is veganaise? I suspect it's a healthy alternative to Mayo, but how would I go about making something like that?

It is a product by Follow your Heart, and I find it in my dairy section at the grocery store. Even my husband who is a junk food junkie loves it! There is also Dayia which is a shredded cheese substitute that my son loves (he is on a low cholesterol diet). Also love, love love House Foods Shirataki Tofu noodle substitute for noodles, because he loves to eat spaghetti, but can only have 1/2 cup cooked whole grain pasta. With these he can eat 2 cups, and super good for you! (WARNING) Do not smell the liquid it comes in really strong) rinse completely, Cook in lightly boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain, and pat dry with a towel. Spoon your favorite red sauce on and enjoy! Homemade Ramen with buckwheat soba noodle: veggie broth warmed with low sodium soy, dash of lemon, and fish sauce. Fresh chopped cilantro, and a drop or two of sriracha pepper sauce (I mean a drop or two) add some cooked chicken, or fish cooked in the broth too! yum! Note (cook the Soba noodles before adding to broth so they do not get too mushy)