Chinese Food; Healthy or No?

Options
When my older brother was diagnosed with diabetes, his nutritionist at the beginning advised him that he didn't have to give up Chinese food when he asked about it being healthy. He was told that Chinese food was actually quite healthy, contrary to popular belief. So tell me; Do you believe that Chinese food is healthy?

I, for one, do!

Replies

• Mimoki
    Mimoki Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    real chinese food is healthy... Panda express, and your corner 'american chinesel place that serves fries, orange chicken and greasy pork ribs with plum sauce isn't.
  • surfteam1689
    surfteam1689 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Have him look into the Ideal Protein Protocal. He will lose body fat like crazy and no longer be diabetic. I started 70 days ago and have lost 38 pounds as of this morning. No drugs. No meds. But a new me! :-)
  • CookieMonster_214
    Options
    real chinese food is healthy... Panda express, and your corner 'american chinesel place that serves fries, orange chicken and greasy pork ribs with plum sauce isn't.

I don't eat Panda Express very much, but there's one place near my house that I love going to because it's true Chinese food (:
  • CookieMonster_214
    Options
    Have him look into the Ideal Protein Protocal. He will lose body fat like crazy and no longer be diabetic. I started 70 days ago and have lost 38 pounds as of this morning. No drugs. No meds. But a new me! :-)

Oh wow that sounds awesome! I'll have to let him know (: Thank you!
  • Mimoki
    Mimoki Posts: 115 Member
    Options

I don't eat Panda Express very much, but there's one place near my house that I love going to because it's true Chinese food (:

If they offer a menu in mandarin or cantonese, they ain't messing around lol.
  • CookieMonster_214
    Options

If they offer a menu in mandarin or cantonese, they ain't messing around lol.

Hahaha they have the English name and under that is the Chinese writing for it (:
  • blleadon
    blleadon Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I eat panda express quite frequently, but I usually get brown rice or steamed rice and certain items. It is a matter of picking certain things and staying within your calories/macros.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Like anywhere else depends what you get. You can't go in and think "IT'S ALL HEALTHY!!" haha. If I want healthy chinese I usually get steamed chicken and veggies. Stay away from the stuff with lots of sauces or anything fried.
  • krizz5u6
    krizz5u6 Posts: 64
    Options
    it is, but you have to watch out for salt and also they use a lot of fatty meats and that can be bad too. everything in moderation!
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I certainly don't think my Sesame Chicken is healthy but it IS delicious so I will continue to have it now and then! It's a local place that's consistently voted the best and it's around the corner - yea me! That being said, I have stopped telling them "no brocolli" when ordering so I tend to eat a bit less than I used to since I'm eating the brocolli too.
  • britkip
    britkip Posts: 49
    Options
    I say noway to Chinese food most of it is super high in sodium. The only thing I would say is safe to get from there is steamed veggies and chicken, or shrimp, nothing fried I stay away from it all together.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Chinese food is healthy. Westernised Chinese food is not.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    It CAN be healthy, but some of the breaded and fried items (like sweet and sour chicken--my fave) are super high in calories, sodium, etc. You also have to watch the sauces they use--sodium and unhealthy fats.
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Your best bet for Chinese food is to cook it yourself!! Restaurant fare tend to go overboard with the salt and sauces and oils... Your sodium and calorie count would be off the charts! Chinese food is still healthy because it's usually with some veg!

Google chinese food and cook them yourself! Real easy, start with stir fry dishes! All you need is some garlic/onion/ginger, soy sauce, olive oil (or oil of your choice) and your favorite veg! Oyster sauce, sesame oil, mirin, salt in moderation to spice things up! A little stock powder/five spice powder/seasoning... Cooking yourself is good because you know what goes into your food!
  • Toddahlie
    Toddahlie Posts: 116 Member
    Options

Right!

Avoid the soy sauce (it has a lot of sodium), wantan or something fried.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I'm prediabetic, and have basically had to give up on restaurant Chinese food. It pushes my post-prandial numbers up every time I've tried it, even if I don't eat most of the rice or noodles. Plus, sodium can be way up there!

But I can cook a stir fry at home, with a small side of rice, and be OK.
  • CookieMonster_214
    Options

Right!

Avoid the soy sauce (it has a lot of sodium), wantan or something fried.

Soy sauce is gross. It's just colored liquid salt. Yuck.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Depends what you get really home made stirfry is awesome and very healthy
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    From my local Chinese takeaway? Absoultlry NOT. Everything is deep fried, us Scots love that.

Homemade chinese food, on the other hand, is great. Full of veg and lean protein and super tasting. We ususally eat a stir fry at least once a week.

I can also make a sweet and sour or lemon chicken with very little sugar in the sauce that tastes lovely.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    If you're doing a lot of the stir fry vegetables, it's better.

I also like the hot and sour soup. :bigsmile: