Has anyone here tried Callanetics?

The original version is a bit 80'cheesy, but it's a great toning & stretching, body resistance workout program. I'm thinking of starting it up again, along with cardio.

http://www.callanetics.com/method.php

Replies

• Bump
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    I used to do it a long time ago and just started up again last night. I have the original 60 minute video and the 20 minute hip and thigh ones. In my garage I have an old Fluidity barre that I'm going to bring into the house to use with it. I'd really like to try it again and see how it works.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    The original version is a bit 80'cheesy, but it's a great toning & stretching, body resistance workout program. I'm thinking of starting it up again, along with cardio.

Lots of people have, but they call them Insanity, p90x, or any other number of marketing names.

I use that website often. Amazing what can be done with body weight/resistance.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Back in the day ...

I had a video, it was a good work out. I do an LBT class once a week, and some of the exercises are very similar.
  • frugalafterfifty
    I never seem to be able to either afford or schedule time for a class. It's that time of year when I'll be outside gardening alot. I'm hoping to stick with the video's this time. ~ Terri
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    I used Callanetics a lot back when I lost weight initially. Only used the book (Original) though, but it really helped.
  • aprilelaina
    aprilelaina Posts: 2 Member
    I started doing Callanetics back when I was a teenager from the old book that my mom had on the shelf. It may be old and cheesy, but those exercise work! I stayed trim and tight, even though I didn't do it as consistently as I should have. After I got married and started having kids, I used Callanetics combined with a little cardio to loose weight after both of my first two. I now have five children and I've been overweight since number 3. I haven't done Callanetics in years, but it always worked before, so I'm getting back into it. I did my first hour yesterday and my goal is 4 hours a week. I'm looking for other people who also do Callanetics!! I found some threads on Spark People, but since I use My Fitness Pal for my calories, it would be nice to have a thread here. Anyone use Callanetics or want to try it?
  • frugalafterfifty
    I'll do the challenge with you jaredswife02. I have 4 children and as I'm older now my metabolism is way out of wack. I'm hoping that myfitnesspal tracking of food and exercise (mostly walking and Callenetics) will help out. ~ Terri
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    I used to do that with my mom in the 80s! Can't tell you about results personally, because I think I got bored and wandered off after a couple of weeks, but I think it's a solid program.
  • frugalafterfifty
    I had purchased Callenetics Evolution off of eBay and it came in the mail today. Watched it quick on my computer - it's different than the original 60 minute one. Anxious to give it a try.
  • clareyoung80
    clareyoung80 Posts: 177 Member
    I've got Callenetics and Super Callenetics on VHS, as well as two of the books.

I did this years ago and I think it started to work before I stopped doing it.

It's a definite part of my exercise this time round! So far, I've done 4 hours and starting to at least feel the affects. I've still lot a layer of flab though so it's difficult to see anything change! But some of the exercises are starting to feel like I am doing them right. I can actually now get into the correct position for the hip and butt exercises and feel that they are actually working the right muscles.

Still loathe the pelvic rotation exercises though. No Callan, they are not exciting!!!! I have difficulty even getting 3" off my heels, let alone doing anything else!
  • frugalafterfifty

It's a definite part of my exercise this time round! So far, I've done 4 hours and starting to at least feel the affects. I've still lot a layer of flab though so it's difficult to see anything change! But some of the exercises are starting to feel like I am doing them right. I can actually now get into the correct position for the hip and butt exercises and feel that they are actually working the right muscles.

I'm very happy with the Evolution DVD that I got. Going to intermingle it with the older Callen ones. I'm trying to do 4 hours a week if you would like to join me!
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member

I did this ages ago-- probably in the 80's! It worked great.
  • clareyoung80

I'm very happy with the Evolution DVD that I got. Going to intermingle it with the older Callen ones. I'm trying to do 4 hours a week if you would like to join me!

I'd love to join you! Is there a Callanetics group? I should go start one really...
  • frugalafterfifty
    Clareyoung80 there is a Callenetics group, but not too much activity. I'd be really interested in having a challenge with you. We can start chatting up the group and see if we can generate more interest. ~ Terri
  • clareyoung80
    I've found it, and posted!