NSV Leg Press

Options
NutellaAddict
NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
450 Lbs....I know it's not a LOT but I did 4 reps today. I was the dude in the gym with the big upper body and chicken legs. Now I LOVE working out legs. I never squatted because my arms wouldn't go far enough to hold the bar properly. (I've torn my rotator cuff twice)...but excuses are like *kitten*. Now squatting is something I look forward to, although I use the Smith machine and go AWG. Small victories..that's what it's all about. :smile: (I will try to up it to 540 next week, because I honestly think I can get it...) Please feel free to share your stories.

Replies

• 1ocean1girl
    1ocean1girl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    That's great !!! You should be so happy :happy: And you look amazing :wink:
  • ssteinbring677
    ssteinbring677 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Umm... that IS a lot! Keep it up! Working legs is so fun. I worked out legs with my boyfriend not long ago and he pushed me to leg press 500 pounds (we had been doing leg press that day already, and tried for 500 on an extra last set)--and it felt AWESOME just to be able to do it once! Keep up the hard work buddy :)
  • NutellaAddict
    Options
    Thanks Oceangirl and sstein!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!! That's a great NSV!
  • NutellaAddict
    Options
    Thanks Suelegal!
  • cjlorigan
    cjlorigan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! My highest on the angled leg press is 230#. I felt a twinge in my knee after the 2nd set last night so I dropped and finished with 180#. Was still able to do cardio afterwards and it feels ok today so I'll go back to 230# tomorrow.
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I love squatting and currently have a rotator cuff injury but I find that I can do front squats (especially on smith machine). I go lighter than most but I go all the way down and I've done this for decades. The exercise changes entirely when you add some real depth to the range of motion. I'm hoping to add some regular squats once my rotator cuff heals enough to allow for it.

Leg presses don't work all those great stabilizers but are a good way to add leg mass and strength fairly quickly. They're also a blessing when you have some lower back pain. I perform them similarly as I do squats in that I bring my knees all the way back to my shoulders, even if I don't completely lock out to keep that tension in there. This requires less weight but has given me some formidable results. It also requires a slighter wider stance and you have to inhale through the rib cage and not allow your waist to expand which would shorten the range of motion since your legs will keep hitting your waist before you get the weight down. Form before ego.
  • NutellaAddict
    Options
    I love squatting and currently have a rotator cuff injury but I find that I can do front squats (especially on smith machine). I go lighter than most but I go all the way down and I've done this for decades. The exercise changes entirely when you add some real depth to the range of motion. I'm hoping to add some regular squats once my rotator cuff heals enough to allow for it.

Leg presses don't work all those great stabilizers but are a good way to add leg mass and strength fairly quickly. They're also a blessing when you have some lower back pain. I perform them similarly as I do squats in that I bring my knees all the way back to my shoulders, even if I don't completely lock out to keep that tension in there. This requires less weight but has given me some formidable results. It also requires a slighter wider stance and you have to inhale through the rib cage and not allow your waist to expand which would shorten the range of motion since your legs will keep hitting your waist before you get the weight down. Form before ego.

Hmm good idea on the wider stance. Leg Press vs my squats...now that's a different story LOL. I'm working my way up on those.

and thanks cjlorigan!
  • cjlorigan
    cjlorigan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    They're also a blessing when you have some lower back pain.

Exactly....my spine is not exactly where it should be and the chiropractor doesn't seem to be helping. So I try to limit the amount of stress I put on it. Try being the operative word.

And you're welcome.
  • NutellaAddict
    Options
    Going for 540 tomorrow.....
  • NutellaAddict
    Options
    Got 540x2 reps....600 next week..
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!