Extra Energy Needed

Options
Hi Guys,
I need some advice. When I go to excercise I make sure that I have built up extra calories so that I have extra energy to excercise but I am finding that I don't have enough energy and I can't put as much effort in as I would like to. I am on a 1200 calorie diet and therefore need to eat all of my excercise calories aswell so that my body doesn't go into starvation mode.

I usually eat to about 1200 calories then excercise and eat my remaining calories for the day but I still am struggling. Is there certain foods I should be eating to give me enough energy without me going over in my calories for the day?

Any comments will be appreciated!

Replies

• 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you are eating too much before exercise. Good to have some protein before and after exercise but all 1200 calories may make you feel sluggish and weighed down. Wishing you the best!
  • nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    I've always heard that carbs a good way to get good energy :)
  • HealthyKt78
    HealthyKt78 Posts: 439
    Options
    Perhaps you are eating too much before exercise. Good to have some protein before and after exercise but all 1200 calories may make you feel sluggish and weighed down. Wishing you the best!

That actually would depend on when you're exercising. If you're exercising in the evening then it would be perfectly reasonable to eat all your calories before hand and then eat your exercise calories after.

Peanut butter is always a go to thing for energy. A piece of whole wheat toast with a little peanut butter should be good enough to get your energy going. A good sized piece of fruit is also great. Carbs that come from whole grains and fruits are really good to eat to have enough energy for a workout.

Being able to see your food diary would help a lot.
  • cyndilou
    cyndilou Posts: 3
    Options
    I started taking bee pollen because I heard it helps you fight allergies , but there are so many more good things to it , like it is full of vitimin b which gves you a ton of energy, it is anti-aging , and it helps with fatloss, also athletes take it fir strength and endurance , I have been taking it for two weeks and th first day I noticed a boost in my energy !!! I love it , it is worth a try , I defintately recommend it, google it yourself
    good luck
  • sammydiddly
    Options
    I work out between 5.30pm and 7.30pm depending on the day and then eat my tea after my workout which takes up my excercise calories. Most days I have an apple for morning tea and a banana for afternoon tea to keep up my carbs. Perhaps I shall try some toast before going to excercise next time.
    Thanks for all the comments so far.
    Eating too much beforehand is possibly a good reason however I really need to so that I can ensure that I dont end up with too many calories leftover at the end of the day.
  • HippyGalore
    HippyGalore Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When I exercise at that time of the day I eat an oat bar about an hour beforehand, also worth making sure you are not dehydrated if coming straight from work.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If you are struggling and don't have energy to exercise, eat more. Try bumping up to 1400 cal/day.