High Blood Pressure Help?

Options
2»

Replies

• Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Do not undertake a new exercise regimen until you go to the doctor. Diastolic pressure at 110 is somewhat alarming. Exercise can raise blood pressure during the activity and that could raise your diastolic pressure to unsafe levels. See your doctor, get on a bp medication (if only temporarily) and consult with him/her before beginning exercise. You really need to control this...they don't call it the silent killer for nothing.

^^^^THIS

Dont jerk around. You are in a serious situation with a diastolic of 110. Get to a doctor. First thing AM.
  • mattashbrock
    Options
    I am a pharmacist and the vast majority of hypertension is called idiopathic hypertension, which means high blood pressure of unknown cause. While we know that certain unhealthy lifestyles can contribute to hypertension, and some lifestyle changes can correct the condition, in many cases even eating healthy, limiting sodium, losing weight cannot "cure" hypertension. If you have hypertension and have made lifestyle modifications and you are still hypertensive it is natural for people to feel like they have failed or if they only worked harder it would go away. This is not the case, however as there is a large genetic component. The important thing is that you see your MD and have the hypertension appropriately treated.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Do not undertake a new exercise regimen until you go to the doctor. Diastolic pressure at 110 is somewhat alarming. Exercise can raise blood pressure during the activity and that could raise your diastolic pressure to unsafe levels. See your doctor, get on a bp medication (if only temporarily) and consult with him/her before beginning exercise. You really need to control this...they don't call it the silent killer for nothing.

This, be sure your doctor knows about your diet and exercise. They may also want to run a quick test on your heart to look for any damage with it being so high. I had it done and my heart was okay so she said cardio would be excellent and wouldn't be an issue taking medication. Please see a doctor, hypertension is dangerous untreated. Not to scare you, but I didn't think it was a big deal until a pharmacist pulled me aside at a health fair and told me about it.
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I am a 10 year vegetarian. I eat pretty healthy. I have actually lost 13 pounds since eliminated junk food (chips and dips). My sodium intake is almost always below 2000. I get at least 25 grams of fiber on most days. I don't drink caffeine. I recently eliminated it. However, despite all these positive changes, my blood pressure is still high - so high in fact that my diastolic sometimes runs over 110.

What am I missing here?

I have hypertension and it's largely genetic...it is the only thing I haven't been able to reverse with my diet. It's serious business...it killed my grandfather at the ripe young age of 72 because he never addressed it. He was strong as a horse...walked at least 3 miles daily...did the whole one armed push up thing that old, strong guys do and had a healthy diet...never drank, never smoked...didn't matter.

Agree with above, it could be genetic.
    I suffer from it, not only is it because it's genetic but I also suffer from a kidney problem so I am prescribed BP meds for it.

Ask if you can see another doctor if you are not satisfied with the first opinion.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You can conclude it's genetic when you've done everything else right.

However, the simple fact is that exercise level is one of the biggest risk factors for high blood pressure.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    #1 Talk to your DOCTOR!
    #2 Listen to your DOCTOR!
    #3 Do what your DOCTOR tells you to do!
    #4 Take what your DOCTOR tells you to take!
    #5 If he/she isn't concerned about your high blood pressure, find a new DOCTOR who is!
    Repeat steps 1-5 as often as necessary!