Need Advise!

Options
Hi i have been on a new way of life for the past 6 weeks. Eating clean, excersizing and taking vitamin supplements. However, I want to help my daughter now. She is 26 and severly overweight. at 4'8" she weights over 200 lbs. She recently had a miscarrige and is blaming herself because of her weight and not being healthy. Along with her doctor i am helping her change her eating habits. Now i want to get her active. Can anyone suggest a good start for her with excersizes that she can slowly build on. She get out of breath easily because she was born with a heart defect. I know she can do more when she gets use to excersizing because when she was in high school she was on the dance team. Please help with suggestions. Thanklyou.

Replies

• jamantha
    jamantha Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Unless she WANTS to do it, it will feel like a chore to her and there is a risk she will resent you for suggesting it. So yes, encourage her, make it easier for her to do some exercise (for example give her a lift if she needs to go somewhere to do it, join her if she wants company) but let her decide what to do!! Ask her what she'd like to try - and if she says she doesn't know then ask related questions to help her work out what she might like. SHe has to buy into the idea, or it won't become a long lasting activity.
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Sine she was a dancer before..she might enjoy Zumba.
  • dennymau
    dennymau Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Have her start out walking at a moderate pace!
  • lagardenista
    Options
    Walking. Drive to different neighbors for a change of scenery, go on a trail, park far at the mall and walk the different levels a couple of times. It doesn't have to be strenuous at first. When she gets more comfortable, then start making goals of how many miles to log for the week, or how many minutes to walk for the day. On the way, talk about anything and everything else but the act of walk. Let it be natural and not force.

Fresh air is stimulating and the moving landscape takes away the chore effect.
  • usflygirl55
    usflygirl55 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Sine she was a dancer before..she might enjoy Zumba.
    ^^This^^ I was never a dancer but I love doing Zumba (in the privacy of my home, of course). :)
  • grandmastime
    grandmastime Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    ok i guess i should have explained better she does want to get healthy. and thanks for the tips. I thought about dancing for her but not until she gets use to the excersize again. I think starting by walking will be a good start and then we can work into something more active. Any one have any ideas about dancing? Zuma i think would be good after she works her body up to that kind of activity. any one have ideas on low impact dancing? Any one that use to be in cheerleading or dance that knows the excersizes that are done that i can incorperate into a work out to help build up her tolerance?